Board logo

OK, so what's the scam
russbost - 3/3/23 at 02:17 PM

I recently offered my daughter's i10 on here, hoping it might do someone a good turn link great little car

It's is now for sale on Gumtree & someone has contacted me saying they want to send me a cheque for the car & accept that they obviously won't be able to collect it until such time as the cheque has cleared.

It clearly stinks, but what's the scam, they've asked for the address to send the cheque too, but how does that help them if the car's not going to be released until cleared funds are in my a/c, I'm just not seeing how they can make this work as a scam, but find it highly unlikely anyone would send a cheque to someone they've never met & know nothing about on a private sale that they have no recourse against?

Only way I can see this working is if they steal a cheque & it gets cleared, they then collect the car with a false ID & they have a car (not exactly an expensive one!) that someone else has paid for, but if the money is in my a/c would the cheque owner then have any recourse??

All seems a bit bizarre, particularly for a £2500 car

westf27 - 3/3/23 at 11:14 PM

Safer for you if they do a bank transfer,that will flush them out.

Mr Whippy - 4/3/23 at 05:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by westf27
Safer for you if they do a bank transfer,that will flush them out.

dito bank transfer or nothing

Scammers know all the loop holes. Your the one with the car so its your rules not theirs.