Board logo

Which Manufacturer Poll
mistergrumpy - 14/11/07 at 09:21 PM

I was wondering whether to post this or not as I don't want to be starting a giant argument but if you all had to start from scratch right now with a kit build, based on quality, style, price and delivery which manufacturer would people choose to buy from?(Sorry if any are missed I'm just going off whats listed on here) Its just that as things stand at the moment I'm struggling to see how some of these companies stay afloat.

nick205 - 14/11/07 at 09:37 PM

I'm happy with my Indy and the choice I made some 4 years ago when I bought the starter kit and started building (some of those listed weren't around then IIRC).

Having looked closely at the MNR kit, I would opt for one of these with a Duratec engine if money and time allowed me to build again.

I do share your thoughts on how some of the companies keep going - it can't be for the money.

Edit to say...
You missed Tiger Avon off the list

[Edited on 14/11/07 by nick205]

mistergrumpy - 14/11/07 at 09:40 PM

Buggeration Knew I'd forget summat, can't alter it now. Results are starting to show the way I kind of guessed.

jos - 14/11/07 at 09:55 PM

MAC#1 all the way every day every time without fail

Davey D - 14/11/07 at 10:05 PM

you forgot to add: Dax, Caterham, and Westfield to the list...

mistergrumpy - 14/11/07 at 10:10 PM

No I didn't want Caterham or Westfield in and Dax, well I don't know much about them. The ones listed, like I say are the ones off here and I've generally had contact with each through quotes and what not.

Howlor - 14/11/07 at 10:12 PM

I thought that the saying goes something like 'All publicity is good publicity'. With all the publicity that one of the above options gets I am suprised about the nil points!

Steve

mistergrumpy - 14/11/07 at 10:23 PM

Its downfall would only be because of one of the 4 I guess but then they're not the only ones with problems at the moment.

joneh - 14/11/07 at 10:50 PM

What about the self builds?

smart51 - 14/11/07 at 10:55 PM

I like Luego, just because it looks a bit like Lego. I want to drive a Lego 7.

Dusty - 14/11/07 at 11:25 PM

Quality, style, price, delivery. Perhaps some people buy on other criteria. Why did old Luego go under? Why do robin hood continue. How can bumblebees fly. If you struggle with these perhaps you are not assessing all of the relevant criteria, whatever that is.

Paul TigerB6 - 15/11/07 at 12:11 AM

Wont spoil the results for those that havent voted but one manufacturer 60% of the votes, all the rest put together 40%.

hmmmmmmm

worX - 15/11/07 at 12:41 AM

I have not been able to post a POLL REPLY because I know nothing about Luego, AND the other 5 manufacturers would receive a MINUS Score from me...

And this is bearing in mind that I have built a Scratch Biuilt, then built and own a MAC1, and now I am currently building an MNR VortX and Part-Building/helping a local builder with his MK SpecR and would happily and openly describe each of these, with all their positive and negative aspects through and through as I have nothing to gain either way!!! (especially on the MAC1!!)

Steve

[Edited on 15/11/07 by worX]

James - 15/11/07 at 01:16 AM

Interesting that MNR is winning.

Mistergrumpy did ask people to regard price in their choice.

MNR clearly do fantastic kit (I've seen some of their stuff up close on Ned's car and it's really, really nice) but they're also the most expensive are they not? I think there's a bit of dreaming going on!

I'm willing to admit I went for the most controversial manufacturer shown on here. Mainly cos I think it's good stuff, at a good price (assuming you ever got it! ).

Cheers,
James

A Nonny Mouse - 15/11/07 at 02:22 AM

I personally reckon that it is very interesting that MNR are winning the poll (considering that PRICE is involved in such a competitive way) because:- in my search for a good manufacturer I've spoken to more than a few MNR builders and they are not shy with their descriptions of the accuracy of the MNR chassis and Suspension Pick-up points!!! In fact I've never heard (and I have built four race car chassis!) of a chassis built with such a margin for error as the MNR one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On top of that, I've never heard of a road car chassis having to amend it's dimensions so much so that the body has to use manky wood to space out the massive gap between body and upper chassis rail to ensure a positive fit between it and the body. Especially with the emphasis on the fact that "if we made the body to fit to the chassis then it would not fit"!!!

At NO point am I suggesting the MNR is not a great deal in the Up & Coming Kit Car Builders Epilogue, but what I am trying to say is the fact that all manufacturers have something you desire but not all Have everything you desire!!!

All the best in your decision,
cheers
M

[Edited on 15/11/07 by A Nonny Mouse]

donut - 15/11/07 at 07:44 AM

I phoned MNR up a month or so ago and they said that they were building over 35 cars for customers at that time so were very very busy. That in itself means many happy customers or reccomendations from past customers.

I voted MAC#1 as they seem to have the best service and value for money.

MK are still great but not as good as they used to be.

[Edited on 15/11/07 by donut]

Agriv8 - 15/11/07 at 08:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by A Nonny Mouse
I personally reckon that it is very interesting that MNR are winning the poll (considering that PRICE is involved in such a competitive way) because:- in my search for a good manufacturer I've spoken to more than a few MNR builders and they are not shy with their descriptions of the accuracy of the MNR chassis and Suspension Pick-up points!!! In fact I've never heard (and I have built four race car chassis!) of a chassis built with such a margin for error as the MNR one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On top of that, I've never heard of a road car chassis having to amend it's dimensions so much so that the body has to use manky wood to space out the massive gap between body and upper chassis rail to ensure a positive fit between it and the body. Especially with the emphasis on the fact that "if we made the body to fit to the chassis then it would not fit"!!!

Hi - Nonny Mouse,

So do I take from your comments that the pickups are incurate ? and that the bodywork dosent fit.

I would be intrested to know the age and details of this chassis you mention.

regards

Agriv8

D Beddows - 15/11/07 at 09:00 AM

With a live axle starter kit including all the important structural bits for just over £2K it has to be Westfield especially if the criteria is value for money, quality and style....

coozer - 15/11/07 at 09:14 AM

Right then, it was me, I have used bits of wood under the front edge of the body sides to fill a gap on my MNR. Details are in my blog. if anyone wants to tell me what I did wrong please do.
Maybe I missed something, and didn't bother to ask, just fixed it for myself.

It is a small compromise to an excellent car and as far as cost goes I believe mine will be built for under 6.5K. I base that on the fact I still haven't broke the 6K barrier and all the mechanical bits are on now. I have the interior to sort out then thats it!

If I was doing it again i would be going back to Chris & Marc because it doesn't matter how busy they are they have time for you.

Saying that i must bless the guys at Mac#! as well because they are diamond geezers as also!

Steve

Agriv8 - 15/11/07 at 09:28 AM

HI steve no problem from me - just trying to assertain the background to Nonny Mouse 's comments.

Ps Keep up the good work hope to see you soon.

Edited to Add ... the Jig has been remade this means the side rails are now 1 piece all the way to the front of the vehical this should remove the need to 'Pack' the side pannels

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 15/11/07 by Agriv8]

procomp - 15/11/07 at 09:46 AM

Hi it is a bit off a pointless POLL because if you only take into acount the manufacturers from the world of locost.

You are not allowing manufaturers from the wider kitcar scene that can supply kits that are of far better quality than any of the ones in the poll and not exactly any dearer. The poll will only show which manufacturer is surronded by hype at the moment on this forum.

cheers Matt

02GF74 - 15/11/07 at 10:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by but if you all had to start from scratch right now with a kit build, based on quality, style, price and delivery which manufacturer would people choose to buy from?(

to answer that, from the information I have read on here and elsewehre it would be MK. Not necessarily saying t hey are better but mosly because not have heard enough about the others.

Incidentally haven't LUEGO and ROBIN HOOD both gone under so longer make kits?

And what about YKC?

coozer - 15/11/07 at 11:25 AM

Oh sorry, I have to say that Procomp build an excellent car also. It just didn't suit my build plan at the time.

I made my decision between Mac#1, MNR and Procomp. Lots of pro's and cons at the time of choosing. There's a lot more to it than price however,

andrew.boyle - 15/11/07 at 11:31 AM

IF i had the money i wouild go for a viento because im not a small lad

t.j. - 15/11/07 at 11:53 AM

You must add more...

But prob. I would choose the MAC
Maybe I choose all off them
then afterwards I could give fair comment.
BTW: If so I would take from every manufacturer one Seven,

F27, Donkervoort, VM-77, Irmsher, Caterham, Dax, Kaipan, etc etc

Richard Quinn - 15/11/07 at 12:50 PM

Aries Motorsport (STM Locoblade)?

BenB - 15/11/07 at 01:26 PM

Yeh- don't forget the old STM Locoblade

stuart_g - 15/11/07 at 01:46 PM

I would go for MNR everytime.

This is IMO based on price, pre sales service, quality of product and after sales service/support. Cannot be faulted.

I have said this before to other people who say they are the most expensive, If you compare kit contents to the other manufacturers and then add the quality of workmanship you will find they are not the most expensive.
As said before order books tell the whole story.

mistergrumpy - 15/11/07 at 02:26 PM

Some interesting points being raised. I like Worxs thoughts on giving some manufacturers a minus, that would be a good overall result in each area. Price was something that I felt relevany as I would rather pay a little more to someone with a better quality of product or certainly to someone who I trusted to deliver the product and not bullshot me when I rang them up (both of which I'm currently suffering!). I don't think its a pointless poll by the way because it didn't include every single manufacturer, it would be massive and there seems to be very few Westy and Caterham owners on here so I just stuck to whats on the discussion boards as a limit, its just the way I wanted it. Oh as a by someone mentioned Luego and Robin Hood. As I know Luego are still going in some kind of guise and Robin Hood are going under the Great British Sportscars name now I believe.

worX - 15/11/07 at 02:53 PM

Just on my days off at the mo and waiting for a truly none-car type program to come on the goggle-box (The O.C. - yes, I know, I'm gay for watching it, TimC has already told me, but I can't stop!!!) and I thought I would check back to see how this poll was going...

I don't think it is a pointless post/poll but I do believe it has it's limitations. Mostly because of peoples reasons for opting to vote (me included)!
I have recieved some great service/parts by some of the manufacturers and I have recieved bad service/parts from some too. The problem with this poll is the fact that at some point, in some way, somone will have recieved bad and good service/parts from all of the above manufacturers, and catching them on a "good day" might simply be the only thing that disitinguishes one from the other sometimes...

It would have had similar results (probably) if Grumpy would of said "which wouldn't you go for" but that would of neccessitated some sort of reasoning and the poll would of probably been a bit large, although maybe a little more informative!

One of the other poblems is, most people (me included) that have been on this forum for a while and therefore around the kitcar scene for a while, have a pretty good idea of what they'd do differently, however that doesn't mean that these people (once again me included) always know whats best, and like with most things in life, a lot of choice is a bit of a gamble anyway, yet the old adage stands firm with regard to the fact that "you get what you pay for"!

Funnily enough, one manufacturer thats not been mentioned yet is RoadRunner, or whatever Martin Keenan is trading as atm. I feel that the one person that I have always had very good service/advice/parts etc from was Martin, and I think that if I did not want a two seater car that was suitable for the road, then it would be him I would be handing my money over to, IMO...

Steve

[Edited on 15/11/07 by worX]

_Aero_ - 15/11/07 at 03:04 PM

Having seen only MK, MAC1 and MNR I can only comment on these.

MNR wins hands down - with the most developments and investment in the car, they are committed to providing and bettering this genre's product.

Since MK Engineering became MK Sportcars the quality has never been as good.

My 2p

whitestu - 15/11/07 at 04:36 PM

Voted for MK as it is all I have experience of, and am happy with what I got.

I'd consider MAC1 and MNR if building again though [highly unlikely unless wife leaves me]

Stu

awinter - 15/11/07 at 04:53 PM

What about performance, surley this must be part of the criteria for buying a kit?

So, Sylva autokits, Raw Engineering, Stingray Motorsport, Fisher sports cars?

Or is it just that you are focusing on the locost derived cars?

If so then, Stuart Taylor Motorsport are missed off as already mentioned.

Allan

TimC - 16/11/07 at 08:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by worX
Just on my days off at the mo and waiting for a truly none-car type program to come on the goggle-box (The O.C. - yes, I know, I'm gay for watching it, TimC has already told me, but I can't stop!!!)

I didn't accuse you of being gay - I merely asked you if you were a 15 year old girl?