Board logo

Protest planned for wednesday aswell
speedyxjs - 13/12/07 at 11:59 AM

Protest planned for wednesday aswell.
Posted this in locost related 'cos we want locost fuel

BenB - 13/12/07 at 12:07 PM

What's the plan? Drive really slowly to wee off anyone too busy to have time to protest? Or not buy petrol for 24hrs- like the government cares. They know we're a petrol addicted society!!! That's why they can make 75% of the cost of a litre tax....

I still think the real answer is to not use petrol at all. Buy a nice old merc Diesel taxi and run it on biodiesel... Job's a good'un....

02GF74 - 13/12/07 at 12:13 PM

4106+ comments on there, all saying all the same thing,

surely they are not all tory/libdemsvoters?

these people had the chance to get rid of this government on more than one occasion before so why didn't they do so instead of whingeing on some website, as if that is gonna make any difference.

will be interesting to see if anything will change.

Mr Whippy - 13/12/07 at 12:16 PM

go back to steam, just burn all that free waste paper (fuel) people put out each week.

or how about using horses?, they burn well

[Edited on 13/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

speedyxjs - 13/12/07 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I still think the real answer is to not use petrol at all. Buy a nice old merc Diesel taxi and run it on biodiesel... Job's a good'un....

Better still, run it on veggie oil.

speedyxjs - 13/12/07 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
4106+ comments on there, all saying all the same thing,

surely they are not all tory/libdemsvoters?

these people had the chance to get rid of this government on more than one occasion before so why didn't they do so instead of whingeing on some website, as if that is gonna make any difference.

will be interesting to see if anything will change.

Nothing much changed last time, why would it this time?

Mr Whippy - 13/12/07 at 12:21 PM

if people are so bothered about fuel prices, why are there so many huge 4x4's thundering around now?

speedyxjs - 13/12/07 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
if people are so bothered about fuel prices, why are there so many huge 4x4's thundering around now?

I dont know the answer for that but before i get attacked, i dont use my jag very often and have it as a hobby. I have no intentions of selling it and if/when fuel reaches £2/3 per litre i will still happily use it.

smart51 - 13/12/07 at 12:47 PM

Fuel is cheap. I spend £15 a week on it. Smokers and drinkers spend more than that. Some curry eaters do as well. My broadband / cable TV / phone costs about that much. Car building costs me much more (sh! don't tell the wife).

Surely there are more important things to be bothered about.

speedyxjs - 13/12/07 at 12:49 PM

£15
Try filling 4 vans twice a week. Soon adds up

wilkingj - 13/12/07 at 12:56 PM

quote:

Its not just the "Thundering great 4x4's"
Dont forget the V8 Merc and BMW drivers, etc etc etc

Most people on here probably get sub 30mpg.
Certainly Less when they are booting it or doing a track day.
My V8 Viento does 26mpg on a run, but can drop into single figures when driving it hard.

So who are we to talk about gas guzzlers??
most of us on here are as bad as the 4x4 drivers mentioned. Well certainly as far as consumption is concerned.

The gov't has to raise the money to run the country. if its not on fuel, it would be on Tax, or VaT etc etc.. Swings and roundabouts.

Sad but true...

PS... I do think its too expensive. They should raise tax on items I dont buy

wilkingj - 13/12/07 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
£15

Easy.. Issue your drivers with a length of plastic pipe, and a stick of Lypsil

speedyxjs - 13/12/07 at 01:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
quote:
£15

Easy.. Issue your drivers with a length of plastic pipe, and a stick of Lypsil

Mr Whippy - 13/12/07 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Fuel is cheap. I spend £15 a week on it.
quote:

I use £6 a fortnight when I'm on my honda 125

oh and I pay only £15 a year on road tax

speedyxjs - 13/12/07 at 01:11 PM

quote:

RK - 13/12/07 at 01:16 PM

Again not minding my own business, why don't more people vote in municipal or federal elections? No vote, no complaining afterwards. Churchill said it best (no, not the one about "I'll be sober in the morning, and you'll still be an idiot". Look it up if you don't know.

Mr Whippy - 13/12/07 at 01:24 PM

quote:
quote:

free parking anywhere as well

Mr Whippy - 13/12/07 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
Again not minding my own business, why don't more people vote in municipal or federal elections? No vote, no complaining afterwards. Churchill said it best (no, not the one about "I'll be sober in the morning, and you'll still be an idiot". Look it up if you don't know.

hmm I don't think local elections have anything to do with fuel tax, besides arn't fuel prices also going up over yourway also...?

woodster - 13/12/07 at 01:28 PM

if the italian fuel strike happened here it would be the end of a very weak Mr Brown/Bean

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article3039456.ece

Mr Whippy - 13/12/07 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by woodster
if the italian fuel strike happened here it would be the end of a very weak Mr Brown/Bean

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article3039456.ece

that's right, with his dinner stuck on one of those trucks he'd never last the day

brynhamlet - 13/12/07 at 01:33 PM

Stop driving fast on motorways/dual carriageways and keep to 55 behind a HGV. You would be amazed what it does to fuel consumpsion and stress levels. I can get 25% more out of a tank doing that, which I can put in my MK at weekends

Reckon that will cause a few comments

speedyxjs - 13/12/07 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by brynhamlet
Stop driving fast on motorways/dual carriageways and keep to 55 behind a HGV. You would be amazed what it does to fuel consumpsion and stress levels. I can get 25% more out of a tank doing that, which I can put in my MK at weekends

I agree thats how i drive most of the time

viatron - 13/12/07 at 02:45 PM

and for those who dont know the churchill quote!

"The best argument against democracy is
a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

westcost1 - 13/12/07 at 03:01 PM

My petrol money per mile for work hasn’t risen at all to cover the price hikes in petrol that is what gets my goat.

Jon Ison - 13/12/07 at 03:34 PM

Oil as gone up from $40 a barrel to $100 in less than 12 months, what do you expect, petrol and diesel to go down ?

speedyxjs - 13/12/07 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Oil as gone up from $40 a barrel to $100 in less than 12 months, what do you expect, petrol and diesel to go down ?

Thats what we are hoping

vinnievector - 13/12/07 at 04:38 PM

Higher fuel prices means more revenue for the government ,low fuel prices means less tax .
so to some up there quite happy thanks ,

This in turn can be spent on guarding there oilfields and refineries ,and just so happens that a lot of powerful people in the uk have sum vested interest in.

old colonial pax britannia at its best

JoelP - 13/12/07 at 10:45 PM

i put about £100 a week into my van, makes me a bit sick but thats life. As said, the gov needs some money to waste and it has to come from somewhere!

Noodle - 18/12/07 at 11:17 AM

I'm a cyclist.

Coose - 18/12/07 at 05:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK

That may be so, but if there was someone worth voting for I'd vote! Why would I back any of the donkeys who reckon that they can run our country when they clearly can't? Until a decent candidate appears I won't be voting.....

RK - 22/12/07 at 02:11 AM

You can't think like that. The candidates are always suspect, just by the fact that they're running in the first place; I mean, really, who wants it? If they have any brains, they can do better elsewhere.

If you don't know who to vote for, do what my father-in-law does: go with the guy with the most money. He is the least likely to be bought off by some criminal who wants a nuclear power plant next to a kindergarten. The guy you never want is the one with the flashy wife. She's blowing all his hard earned cash and he always needs more.

And the quote was: "Democracy is a terrible system of government, but it's better than all the others" or words to that effect.

jrevillug - 13/1/08 at 04:59 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by brynhamlet

I agree thats how i drive most of the time

It's what I do too. Although mainly 'cos the Imp is happier at 55 than 65. Get 50mpg at that speed on motorways, 35-40 around town, and 42.5(ish) on a mix of fast and slow A roads.

Don't use that car much either- I don't commute, being at University- most of my journeys are longer ones at the beginning and end of term.

James

Simon - 13/1/08 at 08:33 PM

We don't need a demo, we need:

ATB

Simon