Board logo

LEVEL 42
carpmart - 13/10/10 at 06:33 PM

I went to a Level 42 gig on Monday night. I had forgotten just what talented musicians they are and in particular, Mark King is just an absolutely legendary bass guitar player!

Anyone else a fan?

MikeCapon - 13/10/10 at 06:40 PM

Me too. Had big respect for them after doing the 24 hr race at Mondello against them. They were in the pit next to us. Good guys.

Benzine - 13/10/10 at 06:41 PM

How are we going to eat and what floor's the restaurant on? Answer - The Chinese Way and Level 42

zilspeed - 13/10/10 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
I went to a Level 42 gig on Monday night. I had forgotten just what talented musicians they are and in particular, Mark King is just an absolutely legendary bass guitar player!

Anyone else a fan?

Yes.

It's like a dirty secret almost these days.
He's some player.

If I can drop into muso speak for a minute.

I've had a Jaydee Mark King, when they were £796 quid in the early 80s.
Also owned 3 Status basses, one of which had LEDs in the neck.

And a trace elliot stack too.

Can you tell I'm a fan.

I can also do the bass thing, a little.

balidey - 13/10/10 at 06:55 PM

Mark King can't read music though. Proof on the youtube link below. Probably some of the best TV I have ever seen.....

the trial of ralph mctell

Charlie_Zetec - 13/10/10 at 07:15 PM

Absolutely amazing! Got into them a few years back (I daren't count....) and can't get enough of their brilliant 80's slap bass!

As it happens, it's my birthday in a few weeks, and I managed to get tickets to see them in Southend as I missed their tour last year. Can't wait!

Hellfire - 13/10/10 at 07:32 PM

Saw them back in the 80's.

Matching Mark King slap that Bass in pitch darkness with the red LED lit neck was something else.

Its one of those concerts I will never forget! That along with the Jean Michel Jarre last Saturday at the MEN... wasn't too impressed at the time but following the concert I realise I was jaded due to Oulton Park BSB Final... I even managed to get a little footage (Video was banned until the last song... :mad

Take a peek at my 1080 footage if you like:
YOUTUBE LINK

Steve

loggyboy - 13/10/10 at 07:52 PM

Just to make me feel young - My Dad had one of their albums, me and my bro used to like listening too though. We were only about 10 but I think its things like that that led to my eclectic music preferences.

mark.s - 13/10/10 at 08:08 PM

Wicked band, saw them in brighton in the 80's and remember the led's , Mark King, and Mike Lindup on keyboard,didn't now they where still doing it to be honest... i'll be keeping my eyes open in future

Dave Bailey - 13/10/10 at 08:16 PM

Yep... they are the dogs.... The wife an I are seeing them on Friday at the Portsmouth Guildhall...

Dave B

Bass1st - 13/10/10 at 08:23 PM

One of the best bass players on the planet, and sings as well (and I am well qualified being a bass player myself). Was not aware they were still going... will see if I can get a ticket.

designer - 13/10/10 at 08:33 PM

'Thunder thumbs' is definately one of the world's top five bass players.

Ninehigh - 14/10/10 at 08:28 AM

Didn't know they were still going!

carpmart - 14/10/10 at 09:25 AM

WOW - loads of Level 42 fans on here then!

Its their 30 anniversary tour!

Makes me feel really old!

MikeCapon - 14/10/10 at 11:13 AM

Here you go. A couple of (badly scanned) snaps of some of the Level 42 guys enjoying their motorsport. IIRC it was '92.

mondello2
mondello2

mondello1
mondello1