Board logo

Mk1 Toyota MR2
JAG - 25/7/06 at 12:27 PM

I'm after info' regarding things to look for when considering buying one and problems with the cars in general.

I MAY have the opportunity to buy a very cheap E reg' Mk1 MR2 that's been standing since failing it's MOT eighteen months ago. I fancy it for a cheap everyday drive.

Thanks for your help

[Edited on 25/7/06 by JAG]

iank - 25/7/06 at 12:30 PM

They rust enthusiastically, what was the reason for the MOT fail?

JAG - 25/7/06 at 01:12 PM

Not got any real details yet but I think a bit of rust (shock towers rings a bell) plus some suspension knock.

ChrisJLW - 25/7/06 at 01:37 PM

I have a Mk1 as a daily driver (plus somewhat modded) it's an easy car to work on (in my opinion) but as mentioned a real devil for rust.

Engines and mechanics are usually damn good and very reliable. Buying guides are available on lots of MR2 sites www.imoc.co.uk www.mr2mk1club.com and www.mr2oc.co.uk

[Edited on 26/7/06 by ChrisJLW]

bimbleuk - 25/7/06 at 03:09 PM

I had a supercharged mk1 import ahh the memories!

Anyway if its been standing around then the handbrake seizes and you may have to replace the rear calipers. Clear any water from the spark plug wells. Check for rust but particularly the rear arches, the front bumper bar and the front spare wheel well.

As mentioned check the clubs and forums.

wyatt - 25/7/06 at 03:20 PM

Front end crash damage seen the odd one with bad repair jobs done but looked good from the outside