Board logo

Points on License
Blacktop - 11/11/07 at 06:22 PM

Hypothetical Question
If you are at fault for a car accident, how sever would it have to be before you are prosecuted and get points on your license?

The reason I ask is after reading yet another article about speeding drivers and speed causes accidents etc... it got me thinking.
If you drive safely yet are speeding and are caught you get points on your license but if you cause a car accident do you automatically get given points for this?

It would hardley be fair after all if you are penalised for driving a little bit to fast and not crashing yet the people who do crash are not penalised.

nitram38 - 11/11/07 at 06:24 PM

You only get points if the police and the crown proscecution take you to court for the accident.
Insurance crashs are a civil matter and do not incurr points.

JoelP - 11/11/07 at 07:03 PM

in all my mishaps on the road ive never seen anyone prosecuted, even when someone is clearly to blame. Probably all too minor. I suspect you only see charges if there are injuries or obvious crime like no insurance or drunk etc. I once witnessed one and made sure he got prosecuted by going to court as a witness, but that was a piece of very poor uninsured driving so i felt i had to follow through.

Fatboy Dave - 11/11/07 at 07:15 PM

Depends.

I was a passenger in an accident where a car failed to stop at a junction (as the driver was on a mobile phone and not paying attention) that T-boned our car.

He got points for driving without due care and attention as a result, but it was for an obvious contributory factor. I s'pose you could only get points if the accident was deemed to be serious enough to require police attendance, and that they decide you've done something wrong to the point that you're going to get an endorsable (i.e. due care, dangerous driving, careless driving etc).

Macbeast - 11/11/07 at 08:49 PM

You get points on your license for speeding because it's easy to prove - a computer can do it.

You don't normally get points for a on-injury accident because the police are too busy reporting people for smoking in a homophobic manner.

Fatgadget - 11/11/07 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
You get points on your license for speeding because it's easy to prove - a computer can do it.

You don't normally get points for a on-injury accident because the police are too busy reporting people for smoking in a homophobic manner.

Sorry but I think you are just being silly. In most cases the rozers have a job to do and they do it quite well in this country.

Go to somewhere like Iran where traffic signals are nothing but a suggestion and your attitude will change pretty sharpish I promise you.

Macbeast - 11/11/07 at 09:08 PM

I wasn't attacking the police, for whom I have a lot of respect, but the people who tell them what to do and make their job impossible

Iran ? Here in North London amber means speed up and red means stop if you feel like it.

[Edited on 11/11/07 by Macbeast]

Davey D - 11/11/07 at 09:29 PM

i was in an accident on the A1. i hadnt noticed the car in front had slowed down, and i smashed into the back of them. everyone was ok. the car i was in was wrecked. police were involved as it happened in the outside lane, so the traffic had to be stopped to get us towed away safely. i was going to be prosocuted for driving with due care, but i had the choice of going to a driver improvement course instead, so i did that

Humbug - 12/11/07 at 06:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
i was in an accident on the A1. i hadnt noticed the car in front had slowed down, and i smashed into the back of them. everyone was ok. the car i was in was wrecked. police were involved as it happened in the outside lane, so the traffic had to be stopped to get us towed away safely. i was going to be prosocuted for driving with due care, but i had the choice of going to a driver improvement course instead, so i did that

They do you for driving well now, as well as badly!