Board logo

Fave car/garage smell
Benzine - 6/2/08 at 09:26 PM

This has probably been done before but...

What's your favourite garage/car smell? Petrol? Swarfega?

Mine is copper grease Love the smell, reminds me of chocolate or something. Quite tempted to eat it

blakep82 - 6/2/08 at 09:28 PM

mmm, petrol, who'd have thought fossils smelled soooo good

quite like the smell of gearbox oil myself

liam.mccaffrey - 6/2/08 at 09:28 PM

smell of cutting fluid in the machine shop

UncleFista - 6/2/08 at 09:29 PM

I like the musty old car smell when you're inside a car at the scrappers

blakep82 - 6/2/08 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista

mmm that too! too many to choose from

pajsh - 6/2/08 at 09:35 PM

Not in everyones garage but the smell after running my model aero engines particularly the deisels running on ether/castor oil is nostril heaven for me

Probably highly carconogenic though

onzarob - 6/2/08 at 09:45 PM

Castrol R...everytime

coozer - 6/2/08 at 09:52 PM

I concur, nothing like a ring ting ting 2 stroke pumping out Castrol R fumes, hmmm....

Canada EH! - 6/2/08 at 10:01 PM

I didn't think there was any one here old enough to remember the smell of Castrol R. In the 60's that smell would lead you to the highly modified engines.

omega 24 v6 - 6/2/08 at 10:01 PM

Not a garage smeel but in the forest at a rally the smell of castrol r followed by the freshly dug up pine needle earthy combo.

bob - 6/2/08 at 10:03 PM

Swarfega reminds me of that night with rachel stevens... sorry that was a dream.

Castrol R, walking towards the pits at the goodwood revival and smell getting stronger.

onzarob - 6/2/08 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
I didn't think there was any one here old enough to remember the smell of Castrol R. In the 60's that smell would lead you to the highly modified engines.

I'm only 35, but I love 60/70's cars and hillclimbers running castrol R

Fozzie - 6/2/08 at 10:07 PM

Mmmmmm Castrol R........heavenly.....

Fozzie

BenB - 6/2/08 at 10:07 PM

I love the smell of unburnt petrol and oil mist coming out of the engine bay when I'm on a blat..... My wallet wishes I did more MPG but my nostrils love the smell

onzarob - 6/2/08 at 10:11 PM

I beginning to feel we may need a Castrol R self help group

Fozzie - 6/2/08 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
I beginning to feel we may need a Castrol R self help group

I think you may have something there!?!?!

Fozzie

Avoneer - 6/2/08 at 10:25 PM

Sorry - mine's 2 stroke after a scooter or 125 goes past.

Pat...

matt.c - 6/2/08 at 10:30 PM

the smell of fuel from flak monkeys car when he pull up to my house.

onzarob - 6/2/08 at 10:32 PM

this sums up what the castrol R smell prints in my mind

http://www.castrolr.co.uk/

x_flow57 - 6/2/08 at 10:32 PM

Castrol R for me too. VSCC and speedway spring to mind.

On the rare occasions that I cut the grass I put a splash in the fuel, it's the only thing that makes the job tollerable.

Isaback - 6/2/08 at 10:36 PM

Considering the level of fumes (white sprit used in large quantities) emanating from my garage I'd better stay out for now, I'd rather it didn't smell at all.

[Edited on 6/2/08 by Isaback]

marcyboy - 6/2/08 at 10:51 PM

WD40 & Body Filler

Benzine - 6/2/08 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marcyboy
Body Filler

good one, forgot about that Even my mum thinks it smells great (she wandered in the garage the other week and commented on it )

TGR-ECOSSE - 6/2/08 at 11:07 PM

Definately Castrol R. On a hot summers night this whole area smells of it from the speedway track

Least favourite smell: EP80/90

bigrich - 6/2/08 at 11:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
Definately Castrol R. On a hot summers night this whole area smells of it from the speedway track

that must be my earliest motorsport memory Castrol R and crinkle cut chips at Sheffield Tigers speedway in the early 70's

Rich

Simon - 6/2/08 at 11:17 PM

Sticking my nose in a new box of teabags, still one of my favourite smells

ATB

Simon

onzarob - 6/2/08 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE

Least favourite smell: EP80/90

TGR-ECOSSE Just imagine one of these and castrol r

ps the one infront was mine

Mix - 6/2/08 at 11:19 PM

Castrol R in the lawn mower............thanks for the wonderful suggestion which will improve this years lawn maintenance no end

Mick

dhutch - 6/2/08 at 11:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pajsh
Not in everyones garage but the smell after running my model aero engines particularly running on ether/castor oil is nostril heaven for me

I have to admit, when i saw the thread title i thought "two stoke fumes"

Right back to my NatSKA karting days in yr10 there was nothing to beat the smell of the commers warming up on the grid.
- I also have model car engines (and now a heli) which give out the same sweet smell!

I also very much like the smell of a warm oilly engine thats just been worked hard. ITS JUST SO GOOD!!!

Daniel

TGR-ECOSSE - 6/2/08 at 11:42 PM

Thanks onzarob nice minis. I used to race ministox and we used to drip Castrol R down the carb so they would smell like real racing cars

COREdevelopments - 7/2/08 at 12:01 AM

gotta agree castrol r is a good one along with
copper grease
2 stroke smell
body filler
oh and i love GT85 spray!!!
i have been told i got a strange habit of sniffing things, but it seems im not alone.

rob

twybrow - 7/2/08 at 12:27 AM

Love:

1. Petrol
2. Hot steel (welding/grinding)
3. WD40

Hate:

Gearbox oil

Isaback - 7/2/08 at 01:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

Hate:

Gearbox oil

you mean old gearbox oil, that stuff can be rank

trextr7monkey - 7/2/08 at 01:27 AM

Thinners, in moderation

RazMan - 7/2/08 at 05:31 AM

During my bodywork phase I practically got addicted to body filler. I also like GT85 and now use it in preference to WD40. And Castrol R of course ...... ahhhhhhh that takes me back to an old Norton I used to own .....

Danozeman - 7/2/08 at 06:24 AM

Hard one to say.

quote:

Tha especially an old car with old leather.

Petrol. 2 stroke running. Standing in the pits at speedway is always a good smell. Good proper creosote is very addictive.

Oh yeah GT85 mmmmm...

[Edited on 7/2/08 by Danozeman]

Ares - 7/2/08 at 06:24 AM

The smell of a car in general; (brakes/engine/tyres) after a car's been thrashed on track!

MikeCapon - 7/2/08 at 07:37 AM

Inside the car at the end of a long forest special stage. Stinking hot brakes and motor together with the smell of what was mud drying on motor / exhaust.

A Nonny Mouse - 7/2/08 at 07:42 AM

Fave garage smell has to be petrol for me.

Fave workshop smell is burning hair smell

Fave car smell is the passenger seat when i take the wife's best mate home.

carpmart - 7/2/08 at 08:03 AM

quote:

You bad boy you!

minitici - 7/2/08 at 08:58 AM

Acetone
or Castrol R

speedyxjs - 7/2/08 at 09:01 AM

Super unleaded
Preferable ESSO

[Edited on 7-2-08 by speedyxjs]

nick205 - 7/2/08 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
smell of cutting fluid in the machine shop

Ditto - I have penchant for this smell too. Something about oily swarf does it for me

kipper - 7/2/08 at 09:50 AM

castrol R and new number plates,
What is that ???

Delinquent - 7/2/08 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pajsh
Not in everyones garage but the smell after running my model aero engines particularly the deisels running on ether/castor oil is nostril heaven for me

Probably highly carconogenic though

Good call used to run an engine every now and again just for that smell and sound - usually resulting in the tell tale dozen slice marks along the flicking finger...

Also love the smell you get while spraying a car with cellulose, but for some reason it turns really nasty after a couple of days?

SeaBass - 7/2/08 at 11:19 AM

1) Machine coolant - Soluble Oil - best when I walk into my school metal workshop at about 7:30am and there's no one around & it's combined with the fluorescent tube starters clicking and popping.

2) Red semi hardening gasket sealant. Both when fresh from the tube and also when blasting along and you catch a waft from under the bonnet mixed with hot exhaust and oil vapour out of the catchtank.

r1_pete - 7/2/08 at 11:30 AM

Gunk, & most engine de-greasing agents

A Nonny Mouse - 7/2/08 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
quote:

You bad boy you!

Don't tell the wife, shhhhh.

gingerprince - 7/2/08 at 12:31 PM

Bacon sandwich and a Tea, when the Mrs has brought it out to me on a cold January day in the garage

COREdevelopments - 7/2/08 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Inside the car at the end of a long forest special stage. Stinking hot brakes and motor together with the smell of what was mud drying on motor / exhaust.

Gotta agree on this one!!! i get that smell when going out in the forest on my pitbike in the wet stinking mud, priceless

Rob

Mr Whippy - 7/2/08 at 08:22 PM

urate smell is...? strange the computer locked up for a moment there, wonder what happened?

David Jenkins - 7/2/08 at 08:29 PM

Strangely, the smell I don't like is petrol! Odd dislike for someone who's built a car...

The one I do like is the one you get in old but well-maintained posh cars - P4 Rovers, Mk 2 Jags, etc. A mixture of leather, wood, oil, and so on.

COREdevelopments - 7/2/08 at 10:35 PM

i like petrol vapour smell, i loved the old 4star leaded!! smelled different to the unleaded now. i really do hate diesel! it lingers and plays hell with my hands, also hate gearoil smell that lasts even longer especially when it get all over your hair and takes weeks for the smell to go!!!

welcome back whippy, enjoy your detention??

Rob

TheGecko - 8/2/08 at 05:28 AM

There's a clubman in Adelaide called the Red Knob Special which has an old Corolla motor (3K?) fed by twin 2" SUs through a supercharger. The protocol calls for running a pre-mix of castor oil in the fuel to lube the blower and water-methanol mix for post supercharger injection to control detonation. As you might imagine, at full noise it both sounds and smells very, very good A few photos attached.

Dominic

jrevillug - 8/2/08 at 04:00 PM

Castrol Ahh...

Burnt Leaded petrol (my town has an annual classic car meet - the air used to be thick with 4-star fumes, but not anymore).

Hot oil/engine/brakes after a fast run.

Swarfega

Hate:
Gearbox oil

Undecided (both love and hate):
Brake fluid.

chunkytfg - 8/2/08 at 06:13 PM

The smell of trackday hot tyres after you've taken then out of the tyre warmers

Then the smell of a red hot bike thats just been thrashed within an inch of it's life round said track top leave the tyres shredded

(and if you look closly you can see the tyre is actually out of shape due to the excsessive tyre wear

RazMan - 8/2/08 at 08:57 PM

Blimey, someone loves the right handers!