Board logo

ST170 Engine
mookaloid - 17/12/07 at 08:36 PM

Anyone know what the ST170 engine is?

i.e. is it basically a Zetec, or a Duratec HE or a Zetec SE or a mazda something or other?

more importantly, is a bell housing available for it to mate to a type 9 box?

Cheers

Mark

onzarob - 17/12/07 at 08:38 PM

the new focus is a Duratec I saw it on the engine cover

mookaloid - 17/12/07 at 08:42 PM

Well yes it says duratec ST on the top but it doesn't look like the duratec from the mondeo.

Volvorsport - 17/12/07 at 08:45 PM

st170 , apparently has the best flowing head out of all the ford range .

Fatboy Dave - 17/12/07 at 08:46 PM

It's a blacktop Zetec R Focus engine with a VVC cylinder head.

mookaloid - 17/12/07 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy Dave
It's a blacktop Zetec R Focus engine with a VVC cylinder head.

So does that mean it will have a zetec block which will bolt straight to a type 9?

Cheers

Mark

saigonij - 17/12/07 at 08:57 PM

yep

Dave Bailey - 17/12/07 at 09:02 PM

I have this engine in my Velocity although not run it yet!

It is a Zetec with two piece sump, bigger valves and VVT on the inlet only. The height of the engine is slightly taller due to the cam actuator so I dropped my engine down slightly then for good measure dry sumped it. I have a type 9 with an ally bell housing and a dunnell lightened flywheel with a Burton Power hydrualic clutch. The ECU to use is the DTA as it has a setting for the cam sensor so that you can run the VVT.

Hope this helps
Dave B

mookaloid - 17/12/07 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
I have this engine in my Velocity although not run it yet!

It is a Zetec with two piece sump, bigger valves and VVT on the inlet only. The height of the engine is slightly taller due to the cam actuator so I dropped my engine down slightly then for good measure dry sumped it. I have a type 9 with an ally bell housing and a dunnell lightened flywheel with a Burton Power hydrualic clutch. The ECU to use is the DTA as it has a setting for the cam sensor so that you can run the VVT.

Hope this helps
Dave B

it does help thanks dave

Cheers

Mark

saigonij - 17/12/07 at 09:09 PM

dave, you need to get more pictures in your archive :-)

onzarob - 17/12/07 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Well yes it says duratec ST on the top but it doesn't look like the duratec from the mondeo.

Why does it say duratec then...bloody marketing people again, i suspect

Dave Bailey - 17/12/07 at 09:17 PM

okey dokey!

I'll ask the wife but not sure she would be happy with me posting pictures of her! Will more pictures of the car do?

mookaloid - 17/12/07 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Why does it say duratec then...bloody marketing people again, i suspect

even worse - you can buy a ford mondeo zetec and under the bonnet is .......yup a duratec

UncleFista - 17/12/07 at 09:29 PM

The ST170 engine also has steel rods and forged pistons (so I've read) some people take them to 8krpm.

Dave Bailey - 17/12/07 at 09:31 PM

Yep agreed! they certainly do! I have throttle bodies also on mine so I am hoping for 190 - 200 bhp!

few more pictures added..will get some more loaded at the weekend!

mookaloid - 17/12/07 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
The ST170 engine also has steel rods and forged pistons (so I've read) some people take them to 8krpm.

mmmmm even more interesting - I guess they can give more than 170bhp then?

Cheers

Mark

Dave Bailey - 17/12/07 at 09:35 PM

220 I am told tuned right and with the correct manifold/exhaust.... Not sure I believe it!

RazMan - 17/12/07 at 10:04 PM

quote:
220 I am told tuned right and with the correct manifold/exhaust.... Not sure I believe it!

You'd be hard pushed to get that out of the V6!

stevebubs - 17/12/07 at 11:30 PM

quote:

If you want more, pull it out and bolt an original Focus RS engine in - that was a turbocharged phase 3 engine....

stevebubs - 17/12/07 at 11:32 PM

By the way, if you're looking to get an ST170 engine, make sure you get the full induction side of the ancillaries as well.

If my previous observations are correct, the inlet manifold is a 2 piece affair. Separate the 2 pieces and you end up with an inlet manifold that is easy to mount bike carbs/bodies onto using nothing more complex than silicon hose.

S

stevebubs - 17/12/07 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan

You can with a turbo

RazMan - 18/12/07 at 03:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan

You can with a turbo