Board logo

Rover Turbo Engone RWD???
coozer - 24/5/08 at 10:23 PM

Right, I have a T16 turbo engine and want it to go 90 degrees to RWD

What gearbox is the best? I have a W58 Supra box that is cute with good ratio's and a nice slick gear change. I know the LT77 gearbox fits but is crap. Its out of a van and ratios are rubbish.

Is there a decent ratio Rover RWD box that I can use (cheap)???

[Edited on 24/5/08 by coozer]

craig1410 - 24/5/08 at 11:24 PM

I think Robin Hood use the Ford MT75 gearbox with a bellhousing adapter for this engine. The MT75 can probably be found with a variety of ratios.

Sorry I don't have any more info but hopefully this might help.

Cheers,
Craig.

britishtrident - 25/5/08 at 05:47 AM

R380 fits

or The MGB 4 speed + overdrive

bilbo - 25/5/08 at 09:32 AM

Do you have the original FWD gearbox?
The route I've been going is to use the original FWD bellhousing (after being tickled with the angle grinder to remove the diff housing) then making up some adapter plates to bolt it to a ford box. With this, I'm able to use the original Rover hydraulic clutch, with a mondeo friction plate:
http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/search?q=build+day+80
Wouldn't recomend a type-9 like I'm using for anything more than the factory spec 200bhp, and even then, a HD one is probably a good idea, but the theory should work with other boxes.
Please note, I haven't tested this yet, so it could all end it tears

coozer - 25/5/08 at 10:20 AM

Cheers Bill, that looks the dogs danglies there. I was thinking of using a Sherpa back plate and just redrilling it to suit the Toyota box. people put these boxes behind big V8's and they come out of Supra turbos so should be ok for me here!

Looking at your pics there I reckon the starter will be a problem as my chassis is built around the Ford type 9 bellhousing. I'll have a look at it anyway as the housing looks a lot shorter than normal RWD one.

Whats your plans for a water pump by the way??
Steve

Johnmor - 25/5/08 at 10:35 AM

Using the bellhousing and making a conversion plate worked for me!!

hillbillyracer - 25/5/08 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Steve

The earlier M series engine has a more compact water pump driven by the cambelt putting it on the right in your RWD setup. I'm told it can be fitted to the T series engine but when I had a quick look at it the cam tensioner set ups of M & T series engines it wasnt just a bolt on swap but I'm told it can be done.
I think the front of the bloke has the hole & bolt pattern to fit the old 8v OHC O series water pump from the likes of a 2l Montego, that may be your best bet. The O series was used in loads of different cars & vans so a bit of reasearch may get you a pump with the outlet pointing the right way.

bilbo - 25/5/08 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Cheers Bill, that looks the dogs danglies there. I was thinking of using a Sherpa back plate and just redrilling it to suit the Toyota box. people put these boxes behind big V8's and they come out of Supra turbos so should be ok for me here!

Looking at your pics there I reckon the starter will be a problem as my chassis is built around the Ford type 9 bellhousing. I'll have a look at it anyway as the housing looks a lot shorter than normal RWD one.

Steve

For the water pump, I'm planning on using a davis-craig electric one for simplicity.

The starter was a bit of an issue to me as well. It means the engine is a bit further forward in the engine bay than I would have liked. The FWD rover bell housing is 5" long as apposed to 7" for a standard ford type-9 housing. You can see how close the starter will be to the chassis rails in the pic below. Rescued attachment IMG_0141 - small.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_0141 - small.jpg

t16turbotone - 23/7/08 at 04:26 PM

this is how i done it Rescued attachment kit car 030.jpg
Rescued attachment kit car 030.jpg

jamie1107 - 25/7/08 at 07:20 PM

the bell housing pattern is same as the k series if that helps so a type 9 bell housing readily available or mtx75 adaptor would do the trick neatly

Fatboy Dave - 25/7/08 at 11:56 PM

No it's not.

jamie1107 - 26/7/08 at 01:38 PM

maybe im wrong the turbo engine fits the 200 series 220 owners fit turbo gearboxes onto their engines i was under the impression it was a k series in those maybe its a t

Fatboy Dave - 26/7/08 at 07:18 PM

quote:
maybe its a t

Correct

scootz - 26/7/08 at 07:47 PM

Hey - the thieving lying bastard that is Fatboy Dave has just surfaced.

Where's our refunds???

scootz - 26/7/08 at 07:49 PM

Come on FBD... you're online - speak to the world!

scootz - 26/7/08 at 07:58 PM

Aaaaand... he disappears offline after being confronted.

A REMINDER!

[Edited on 6/8/08 by scootz]