Board logo

13" Blue Book Approved road tyres for Hillclimbing
alister667 - 1/3/07 at 03:19 PM

OK so I have my National B non race licence, had a scrutineer have a wee look at the car (I have a couple of things to sort out - it'll keep me busy), I'm going to get a set of 13" x 6.5" wheels next. First sprint is on St Patrick's Day 17th March!

I intend to be driving the car to the sprints/hillclimbs and competing in the road-going category, so I need to buy a set of 13" tyres, as soft/grippy as possible, listed in the Blue Book and (ideally) not too expensive. Any advise? Any experiences?

Thanks again,

Alister

hughjinjin - 1/3/07 at 04:14 PM

best ones are Avon ACB10s. They are the most popular hillclimb/sprint tyre in the roadcar classes. they are crossplys and are a couple of kilos lighter than equivalent size radials. They are however expensive (about 100 quid a tyre). They are sometimes available s/h but watch out cause they're not all road legal, they were originally developed as a formula ford tyre and the road version came afterwards, I think specifically for Caterhams.

next up in popularity are yokos, a bit cheaper but heavier.

cheaper still are the Kumho V700 and now Toyo have added 13 inch proxes which are supposed to be very good and quite reasonably priced.

none of this comes from personal experience! just what I have learned by talking to the guys in the paddocks so don't think that I know what I'm talking about.

[Edited on 1/3/07 by hughjinjin]

JimSpencer - 1/3/07 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hughjinjin
and now Toyo have added 13 inch proxes which are supposed to be very good and quite reasonably priced.
[Edited on 1/3/07 by hughjinjin]

Hi

while Alistair clears up if its 1A or 1B...

Could you expand on this a bit please - T1-R's? What sizes?, as just in the process of swapping from 13" to 15" rims to get too the better 1A tyres and this might just save me the trouble.

Thanks

[Edited on 1/3/07 by JimSpencer]

alister667 - 1/3/07 at 05:49 PM

1A or 1B;

Good question, I'm not so sure although I strongly suspect it would be 1A.
I certainly can't afford £100 per corner (ACB10s), so we'll stick with 1A for the time being!

Yeah, I just went and double checked the Blue Book, and it says for "production road cars" - 1A. Not sure if I'm a production road car or not... but I'll stick to 1A for the time being.

[Edited on 1/3/07 by alister667]

hughjinjin - 1/3/07 at 06:10 PM

toyo proxes R888

185/60/13
205/60/13

alister667 - 1/3/07 at 06:17 PM

quote:
toyo proxes R888

185/60/13
205/60/13

R888's are on list 1B

Proxes T1-S and T1-R are on 1A

Anyone have any good links to online tyre shops so I cam compare prices?

Thanks again

Ali

skydivepaul - 1/3/07 at 07:01 PM

road going class you will need tyres from list 1A

toyo proxes T1
yokohama A539 - i have been told you can pick these up for £28.00!!! good tyre i have used these for the past two seasons
stunner - scudos , some of the westfield lads use these and the fastest kit car in our club (sylva striker) uses these

any of the above three will be o.k.

toyo R888
yoko A048
ACB 10

all these are list 1B, non road going class

cheers

Paul

hughjinjin - 1/3/07 at 09:37 PM

sorry for the bum steer! I was just thinking about Scottish rules where list 1B tyres are allowed.
I think that you will struggle to find decently priced 13 inch 1A tyres. If you have to buy wheels anyway you might be cheaper buying 15 inch ones as the tyres are significantly cheaper.

alister667 - 2/3/07 at 12:11 AM

I already have a set of Yokamama's A539s on 15" rims, but from my experiences at Kirkistown I am gaining a good 4 seconds a lap on 13" wheels, with the car being lower to the ground, lighter and lower geared on.

I already have a set of 13"x7" race wheels - they cost about £220 - and they hold a set of slicks I use on the track.

I guess I'm going to have to start phoning around the tyre dealerships of NI!!

Thanks again for all the help,

Ali

quote:
sorry for the bum steer! I was just thinking about Scottish rules where list 1B tyres are allowed.
I think that you will struggle to find decently priced 13 inch 1A tyres. If you have to buy wheels anyway you might be cheaper buying 15 inch ones as the tyres are significantly cheaper.

JimSpencer - 2/3/07 at 08:47 AM

Whoa....

Hold on a minute...

Ok I'm hillclimbing a Striker currently on 13" rims, fitted with A539's and they're OK.

The tyres of choice in list 1A are:-

Stunner Scudo's (15's are smallest available)

Toyo T1-R's (14's smallest available)

Such are the gains in grip going from A539's (which are about the best in 13's) that the wheel change is well worth while.

You should find that you can get the overall diameter you need on the 15's (And Scudo's are cheap!) I've just gone from 185/60/13 to 195/45/15 and the overall diameter difference is a couple of mm.

Hope this helps

alister667 - 3/3/07 at 12:26 PM

Here's two pictures showing, for me, the difference between the 13 and 15 inch wheel situation.

Both sets of tyres are motorsports tyres (not road legal) and I don't have access to their exact sizes, but you can see that on the 13" wheels the car is lower, and I can tell you she goes round corners much better.

Braking wise there's not too much difference (this leads me to believe the grip of the tyres isn't hugely different despite the 15" wheels being 6" wide) but the 13" wheels allow the car to corner much, much quicker.

The difference in (unsprung) weight is big as well - my 15" wheels are road alloys and weigh a ton compared to the 13" rally wheels I bought.

My intention is to get a set of 13" tyres as low profile as I can manage and get the top speed down to 115-120mph - this makes a huge difference to the acceleration, and being able to keep the bike engine in the right rev band.

I suspect you're right about the difference between 13's and 15's if I had high profile 13's and my 15" rims weren't so heavy!

13" x 7" wheels

15" x 6" wheels