Board logo

Viento aero screen
ollie2910 - 3/6/21 at 07:04 AM

Good Morning Builders :-)

I'm sure its been asked many many times before........but I could only find posts from many years ago. Is there a pre made aero screen out there which will work with the increased size of the Viento?

TIA

knight19770 - 3/6/21 at 07:33 AM

Morning Ollie,

Premier wiring were doing a viento windscreen , they are on ebay and say that they can do a viento screen.

Cheers Mike

big_wasa - 3/6/21 at 07:59 AM

Interesting. I fancy a full screen.

Failing that any one good with polycarbonate ? I can do a template for an aero screen.

rusty nuts - 3/6/21 at 12:49 PM

The only Viento I have seen with a decent looking aero screen is Pete and Beck’s car, Can’t remember their username on here but Pete made it himself

ollie2910 - 3/6/21 at 01:04 PM

Haha, well this could be interesting then Rusty nuts, hopefully we can find the second half decent looking Viento aero screen

DanP - 4/6/21 at 10:16 PM

The user "aerodynamix" on here made me a carbon (on GRP base) aero screen for a viento a few years ago - unfortunately mine got thrown out by the builders so I don't have any pics but I believe he has some on his website (which I now cannot find!)

My Viento was sold with a Premier wiring windscreen fitted, and I was very happy, pics before and after in my archive.

ollie2910 - 5/6/21 at 08:07 AM

Thanks DanP, I'll see if I can find it. In your opinion what did you find better? I was going down the aero screen route originally for looks but thinking about it now it's probably me trying to get out of faffing with wipers and heaters

DanP - 6/6/21 at 12:49 PM

Hi,

I never fitted the aero screen as it got lost, I bought the aero screen to make the scuttle look a bit more finished, but I'm glad I went the full screen route later, it made the car more usable, didn't need a helmet on the motorway as was going to be the first step towards getting weather gear (had I not sold it).

The heater wasn't too hard to fit, I just used a t7 designs matrix and bulkhead., on the RV8 the connections for the heater are pretty close to the scuttle anyway.
The wipers were actually the harder part but even that wasn't too bad - they were from car builder I believe.

https://www.t7design.co.uk/3-5kw-lightweight-heater-12v-258-319-2b8.html
https://www.t7design.co.uk/13-16mm-1-2-5-8-bulkhead-hose-adapter-wide-540-668-288.html

Other bits used were a pair of bleed/joiners as the heater became the highest point in the circuit:
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/black-nylon-19mm-joiner-with-bleed

Cheers,
Dan

DanP - 6/6/21 at 12:52 PM

Bending the screen supports was the biggest faff of the whole thing in the end. I still have the cad files for the supports and brackets that I made if they are any use to anyone:

Screen tied to chassis rail
Screen tied to chassis rail

Windscreen final fit
Windscreen final fit

Irony - 6/6/21 at 12:57 PM

Also could be interested in a viento aeroscreen. Can you post up any findings.

ollie2910 - 7/6/21 at 06:47 AM

Will do Irony, Dan, the CAD files would be interesting if you could send them? I'll send over my email on a u2u. you made a smart job of the windscreen.........and that hasn't made the decision any easier :-D. I have got the washer kit and wiper kit sitting at home already so it would just be a heater to sort.......and there was me thinking i had made the final decision. ahhh the fun :-D

big_wasa - 7/6/21 at 02:11 PM

rusty nuts - 7/6/21 at 09:00 PM

That’s just horrible!

rusty nuts - 7/6/21 at 09:31 PM

There is a video of Luego at Stoneliegh posted on here 04/05/2011 , have a look around 1 minute 50 secs at the black Viento next to the red one , without a doubt it’s the nicest aero screen I’ve seen

ollie2910 - 8/6/21 at 06:43 AM

I cant disagree, very smart.........guessing we are not sure who has that car?

DanP - 8/6/21 at 11:25 AM

Email sent with DXF's.

I think that might be the aerodynamix one as I'm fairly certain the one Julian (Aerodynamix) had made before was for a red car, he mentioned the owner was called Dave I think.

EDIT: just re-read the post above - perhaps I'm getting my memories wrong!

[Edited on 8/6/21 by DanP]

rusty nuts - 8/6/21 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ollie2910
I cant disagree, very smart.........guessing we are not sure who has that car?

That car belongs to Becks and her dad, Pete

Irony - 9/7/21 at 09:59 AM

Back when I was building my car I asked Bec and her Dad about the aero screen. They built a form the shape of the curve of the screen. Then they turned on every heater they had in the garage and draped the acrylic over the former. With a combination of heat guns and patience they formed the acrylic over the former to create the curved acrylic.

Theirs is the best solution I have ever seen on any kit car that was completely home built. A lovely car all round though. I hope they don't mind me posting these images.

Description
Description

Description
Description

rusty nuts - 9/7/21 at 10:37 AM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=XA0M2462_1%5B1%5D.jpg

Another picture, just remember their user name on here, it’s perci