Board logo

Brake shoes and drum help
mikeb - 21/12/12 at 12:42 PM

As I didn't strip my donor I'm not sure the correct way to assemble the pile of bits that is the rear drums and shoes.

First off which way round for the back plates.
Should the handbrake cable come in from the back end of the backplate (thats what I'm assuming). If thats the case then the lever arm it attaches to should be towards the front edge of the drum.
If thats right then theright assembly in the piccy would show, the backplate and shoes going to the Rear Left corner of car. The friction material also goes high up the shoe so again is the the leading edge?

Secondly, after rummaging my box of bits, I can't find any shoe retaining pins, springs and cups. are these still available from ford or does anyone have some knocking around (1.8 CVH Sierra).

Thanks M

20121221_113044 by mjb22001, on Flickr

[Edited on 21/12/12 by mikeb]

JAG - 21/12/12 at 12:46 PM

OK - the lever that is operated by the handbrake goes to the rear of the car.

The handbrake cable enters from the front of the car.

The fully assembled brake in your picture should be fitted to the right-hand rear wheel.

You could always ask your local Ford dealer but I'd go find another Sierra in a scrapyard to get the bits you're missing.

[Edited on 21/12/12 by JAG]

adithorp - 21/12/12 at 01:23 PM

As said the assembled one is the off-side/right/drivers sde. The "leading edge" is the end of the shoe with the longest amount with no friction material.

Spring and retainers will be available as a "shoe fitting kit" from any good motor factor. From TRW it's kit number SFK103

pewe - 21/12/12 at 02:29 PM

Your local Halfrauds may stock the retaining springs and pins.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

mikeb - 21/12/12 at 03:43 PM

thanks will order the new fitting kit. Have sprayed all the back plates up now and assembled with new pistons.

MakeEverything - 21/12/12 at 05:04 PM

Are you fitting new shoes as well?

mikeb - 21/12/12 at 06:09 PM

anyone have the definitive answer as there's two different ones now! lol
I will fit new shoes just not at the min, wanted to get it all fitted correctly first.

JAG - 21/12/12 at 08:09 PM

Sorry guys but I'm right

I've designed several similar drumbrakes for the same company that made the one fitted to the Sierra

mikeb - 21/12/12 at 08:31 PM

anybody lol

adithorp - 21/12/12 at 08:57 PM

What I wrote is correct... for a Sierra.

It may be (and I don't know) when fitted to your kit, that the backplates have to be fitted to the opposite side, with the cables from the rear for packaging reasons. This would mean that the leading edges of the shoes were the wrong way. That could lead to uneven wear and/or grabbing of the brakes

renetom - 22/12/12 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Sorry guys but I'm right

I've designed several similar drumbrakes for the same company that made the one fitted to the Sierra

I apologise you are correct the cable on the Sierra does come into the backplate from the front
I was talking out of my ar**se.
We made several modifications so that we could have the cables coming in from the back, it all works fine
as does the handbrake.
I'd forgotten (silly old fart), it did take us 5 years to finish & IVA.
Sorry
René.

Mash - 2/8/22 at 03:46 PM

Sorry to open this old topic again guys, but I'm having trouble locating thee correct shoes for my axle.

JAG, if you did the design then maybe you can help. My shoes look like the ones in the picture from the outboard side and have swinging arms attached to the rears. One has the h/b cable attached at the bottom and the plate across the top to the other, which has a similar arm attached at the top but which has a ratchet arrangement at the bottom which presumably is for h/b adjustment. It ratchets against a ratcheted pawl. The pawl is replaceable as is the arm on the other side, but the ratcheted arm cannot be removed as the pin that goes through it is not removable.

All the shoes I can find have the correct holes but no ratcheted arm

Any ideas?

ETA Just found a picture on t'internet from a ford manual

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 2/8/22 by Mash]

SteveWalker - 2/8/22 at 07:45 PM

The ratchet arm pin is usually fixed in the arm, but retained in the brake shoe with a push-on retaining washer on the back.

Mash - 2/8/22 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
The ratchet arm pin is usually fixed in the arm, but retained in the brake shoe with a push-on retaining washer on the back.

Not in this case no. the other arm for the handbrake cable is fixed with a pin and a retaining washer. the ratchet arm is held in place by a non-removable pin, almost like a riveted pin.

Dingz - 2/8/22 at 09:28 PM

I think the original picture shows the 9” brakes which has the ratchet thingy on the top spreader? Plate whereas your picture is the 8” brake with the ratchet in a more obvious place. I replaced my 8” ones a few years ago and pretty sure I had to transfer the ratchet bits from old to new.
I think the Sierra drum brakes, both sizes are the same as later cortina.

adithorp - 2/8/22 at 10:32 PM

Mash, I think I've still got paper catalogs at work somewhere. Usually easier to trace random stuff in those. I'll have a look and see if I can trace a part number tomorrow.

Mash - 3/8/22 at 08:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Mash, I think I've still got paper catalogs at work somewhere. Usually easier to trace random stuff in those. I'll have a look and see if I can trace a part number tomorrow.

Thanks Adi that's great. I reckon that if Ford showed the correct shoe in their manual, then they must have supplied the correct part with the arm attached. Whether it's still possible to get one from them no is another matter of course.......

adithorp - 3/8/22 at 09:32 AM

Some shoes had the spring loaded pawl riveted on, and most aftermarket ones camee with it separate (as a kit inc' with the shoes). Both work.

Numbers you need are Ferodo FSB215 (separate pawl kit) or Apec SHU372 (riveted pawl)

U2u me your phone number and I can send you pics of the catalog images to double check.

[Edited on 3/8/22 by adithorp]

Mash - 4/8/22 at 08:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Some shoes had the spring loaded pawl riveted on, and most aftermarket ones camee with it separate (as a kit inc' with the shoes). Both work.

Numbers you need are Ferodo FSB215 (separate pawl kit) or Apec SHU372 (riveted pawl)

U2u me your phone number and I can send you pics of the catalog images to double check.

[Edited on 3/8/22 by adithorp]

Thanks Adi, received the pictures

Sadly though, they still do not work for me . Mine have the ratcheted arm riveted on and the removable spring loaded pawl, which appears to be what the picture from the Ford manual shows. The fact that the Ford manual shows it suggests that they may have supplied that part, but I guess the chances of getting them now are pretty remote.

I suspect my solution may be to try and get hold of a complete set of rear brakes with the more common setup from somewhere and swap the whole lot out. At lest that way I will be able to replace them with new ones. It would be OK if I could get hold of the a pin and arm from an existing set up.

I just find it strange that the handbrake arm on mine IS replaceable, yet you can buy shoes which have that arm attached, but not for the ratcheted arm side.....

adithorp - 4/8/22 at 09:35 AM

The Apec ones do have the spring loaded pawl riveted on according to the (abmittedly old) catalog but even the Ferodo ones, where its supplied seperate (but comes with the shoes kit) once fitted works exactly the same.

JAG - 5/8/22 at 09:09 AM

Hi Mash,

I didn't design that drumbrake - I think that one was designed by 'our' competition. Ford are well known for developing the same part with two different suppliers to ensure they don't have problems getting sufficient supplies for their production output.

Our brake would be fitted on some models in a range and our competitors brake would be fitted on others.

I used to work for Lucas and I think the part you have was designed by Continental Teves.

Both companies still exist so I would try contacting their Aftermarket divisions. They are obliged to offer spare parts for at least 30 years after production has ceased.

Mash - 5/8/22 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Hi Mash,

I didn't design that drumbrake - I think that one was designed by 'our' competition. Ford are well known for developing the same part with two different suppliers to ensure they don't have problems getting sufficient supplies for their production output.

Our brake would be fitted on some models in a range and our competitors brake would be fitted on others.

I used to work for Lucas and I think the part you have was designed by Continental Teves.

Both companies still exist so I would try contacting their Aftermarket divisions. They are obliged to offer spare parts for at least 30 years after production has ceased.

Thanks Justin, I'll give that a try.....

indykid - 6/8/22 at 04:25 PM

A bit late to the party, but I have these in my photo archive if it helps

Description
Description

Description
Description

JAG - 6/8/22 at 07:45 PM

Indykid has demonstrated what I was saying quite nicely.

The image for the 1.3 and 1.6 models is the Continental Teves brake while the image for the 1.8 and 2.0 models is the Lucas brake.

Subtely different design of the automatic, wear adjusters