Board logo

I also need help with Potentiometer please
pigeondave - 13/11/21 at 07:18 PM

Hi,

I have got one of these on the oven at the bakery. It's used to turn the over on and select the temperature.

85A2A-B 48-A15-R53 by pigeondave, on Flickr

I have been on the mouser site and found something very similar but its a B28 and ends in R51.

The data sheet no longer shows a B48 so can I go to 50? I'm not bothered if the knob sticks out a bit further (2mm)

Is the N.O./N.O. business in the R53 enough to worry about?

https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/54/8182_8586-777023.pdf

Also there's a 36week lead time.

I was wondering if it was possible I could get some help finding something equivalent, that could be ordered fairly quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Pigeondave

P.S. I'll need 4 as if this ones on the way out the others can't be too far behind.

paulf - 13/11/21 at 07:31 PM

Are you sure its a potentiometer and not just a double pole rotary switch? is it just the two wires that are soldered onto it or are there terminals into the pcb? .

pigeondave - 13/11/21 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Are you sure its a potentiometer and not just a double pole rotary switch? is it just the two wires that are soldered onto it or are there terminals into the pcb? .

There's 3 legs which are soldered to the board and the two wires you see on the top of the potentiometer.

Also looking at the data sheet it looks the same in the photo, its like a double stacked plastic body.

paulf - 13/11/21 at 07:41 PM

just realised its a potentiometer with a seperate switch module on the back, what is the fault ? the switch or the pot to adjust the temperature?
If you get stuck you could replace the switch with a seperate toggle switch for on off or a seperate potentiometer for temp adjustment assuming there is a suitable place to mout them.
Paul.

pigeondave - 13/11/21 at 08:28 PM

Issue is you have to push the knob in as you turn and have to turn it all the way to max or it breaks a contact and the relays click and the oven turns off.

So you cant set the temp.

If its on and you breathe on it, it switches off.

I think its just buggered, we've had the bakery 35 years and the oven has been there probably 30years.

BenB - 14/11/21 at 09:37 AM

Don't understand though why this couldn't be replicated with a pot and a toggle switch on an enclosure on the outside of the oven- two hands could presumably replicate the combined function of the existing pot/switch. Or replace with a pot and then 3d print a dial knob with a build in switch on the front

[Edited on 14/11/21 by BenB]

gremlin1234 - 14/11/21 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pigeondave
Is the N.O./N.O. business in the R53 enough to worry about?

the switch in the picture shows only one pair of contacts in use, so a switch with n.o. & n.c. - normally open / normally closed will be fine if you just use the no pair.

I am wondering if you could just use the alternate switch contacts on the back of the one you already have?

[Edited on 14/11/21 by gremlin1234]