Board logo

MX5 Fuji Diff Repair
KFC - 26/5/21 at 05:40 PM

Hi all,
I'm back on here after a long time away and have another project, locost race car.
I've acquired a Fuji Diff complete rear end off a MK2.5 MX5 and stripped the diff after finding metal chunks on the magnet when I drained the oil..

So I have a small list of parts that I need to replace but if it's going to be near £500 then I'll be looking for a platted diff, the crownwheel and pinion is mint, no marks or damage.

So my question is, doesn't anyone have a good contact for MX5 parts? I've spent about 10 minutes looking with a google search but to my surprise, nothing. Looks like it might be genuine Mazda?

The other question is, do I really have to be spending £1000 just for a platted diff? I know the platted ones well from when I worked on F3 cars so I'm a little biased, I don't know anything about the Helical Torsen LSD.

G13BLocost - 26/5/21 at 07:21 PM

Would you consider a Kaaz SuperQ instead? I believe they are far cheaper. I am running one in a 1.6 mx5 backend in my locost and it's fantastic. They are a clutch/plate diff.

KFC - 26/5/21 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by G13BLocost
Would you consider a Kaaz SuperQ instead? I believe they are far cheaper. I am running one in a 1.6 mx5 backend in my locost and it's fantastic. They are a clutch/plate diff.

Not heard of them so I'll look into it!
It needs to capable of 200bhp so I'll have a look! Cheers!

Umm, why is my avatar so big?

[Edited on 26/5/21 by KFC]

[Edited on 26/5/21 by KFC]

sdh2903 - 26/5/21 at 10:14 PM

Can you not make your avatar a bit bigger I can't quite make it out?

Mr Whippy - 26/5/21 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

How did you even do that, it auto resizes anyway. I was thinking, but that's an engine..

pewe - 27/5/21 at 10:46 AM

If not already suggested talk to Andrew at AutolinkMX5.
He supplies new and secondhand MX5 parts.
As well as being an all-round good guy what he doesn't know about MX5 's probably ain't worth knowing.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

nick205 - 28/5/21 at 09:24 AM

Can't advise on diffs, but the avatar is a little large!

stevebubs - 28/5/21 at 10:23 AM

Have you tried looking for Miata parts instead of MX5?

KFC - 29/5/21 at 12:13 PM

quote:

Ha ha ha ha

KFC - 29/5/21 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

How did you even do that, it auto resizes anyway. I was thinking, but that's an engine..

I can't make it smaller. All I did was found a Volvo 5 pot engine photo to use..

KFC - 29/5/21 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
If not already suggested talk to Andrew at AutolinkMX5.
He supplies new and secondhand MX5 parts.
As well as being an all-round good guy what he doesn't know about MX5 's probably ain't worth knowing.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

I'll have a look.
Cheers!

PorkChop - 29/5/21 at 02:30 PM

The tabs breaking off in mk 2.5 Fuji diffs are really common - people tend to junk them and replace them with a Torsen rather than rebuild. I'm not even sure if you can even get those parts new to rebuild them that easily, but there is someone on eBay who offers a refurb service for £125 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324647943249.

Whatever you decide to do, the CWP is worth keeping hold of though if it's tidy.

A Blackline or Ashcroft (if you can find one) ATB will be about 400 quid or a Kaaz for a lot more.

[Edited on 29/5/21 by PorkChop]