Board logo

Day Insurance recommendation
cliftyhanger - 12/4/22 at 07:22 AM

Just scored an MX5 on fleabay, bought for my daughter...
I need to collect the car for he and store it at my gaff until it is checked over and she has sold her puddlejumper.

So I think day insurance is my best bet to collect it? Has anybody got a recommendation? or do I just randomly pick a company off a google search?

Ta

Schrodinger - 12/4/22 at 07:30 AM

I can't recommend an insurer but don't forget you have to tax the car as well.

nick205 - 12/4/22 at 09:11 AM

^^^

Likewise, I can't recommend an insurer, but you will have to tax the car.

Did you buy it privately or from a trader?

If from a trader will the trader deliver? (may be a cost effective method)

An alternative (if you have a tow car) could be renting a trailer and collecting it that way.

McLannahan - 12/4/22 at 09:44 AM

Cuvva is VERY quick and easy and all done on the app - BUT can be fussy about older cars. Worth a try though

https://www.cuvva.com/

cliftyhanger - 12/4/22 at 10:15 AM

re tax, the seller is happy to not cancel the tax until the evening, as long as I give him a signed bit of paper confirming when I collected the car (speeding etc covered)

Besides, I want a drive to confirm all is well.

Private purchase, a garage would have (badly) tidied it and doubled the price or more.

I shall get onto cuvva now!

MikeR - 14/4/22 at 08:36 PM

Please double check on the tax. I've got a memory that it must be the registered owner who taxes the vehicle.

Edited as I couldn't not look it up. The issue with the owner is if the car ownership changes, the original owner gets the refund. It's possible for the new owner to tax a vehicle without the v5 changing hands by using a 12 digit code instead of the usual 11 digit. I stopped looking at this point so don't know how you get the 12 digit number.

[Edited on 14/4/22 by MikeR]

cliftyhanger - 14/4/22 at 09:36 PM