Board logo

Summer house
jacko - 9/5/21 at 04:23 PM

Hi all I am going to bulld a summer house 3m x3m with a four sided roof .
And hopefully fitted with byfolding doors
Has any one had a go at building one if so what size wood frameing did you use
Graham

big_wasa - 9/5/21 at 05:03 PM

Me and the lad are building one at the moment while he still has to much time on his hands. The price of wood has gone through the roof

We built the frame from free reclaimed rough sawn 2.75x2.75 and 2.75x2 that saved a few bob. 10ft lengths that sheets of steel are sold on.

And I built a little shed a few years ago out of the same.

jacko - 9/5/21 at 05:20 PM

Looking good I retire. Next year so want a nice place we can sit have a few sherbets and watch the world go by
please keep the pictures coming
Graham

big_wasa - 9/5/21 at 05:29 PM

Loads of noggins and bracing from the of cuts. Osb and breathable membrane. One bit wanted adjusting

big_wasa - 9/5/21 at 05:30 PM

Rubber roof. Not my choice but the in thing apparently

Mr Whippy - 9/5/21 at 05:46 PM

Yip built quite a large one but now halfway through building a 6m diameter wooden geodesic dome for the garden. It will be vastly hotter inside than the summer house. I'll post it on here once completed.

bi22le - 9/5/21 at 09:18 PM

If you are on Facebook take a look at the various DIY garage / bar / outbuilding builders groups. It's a bit "look how much money I have" but there are some good pictures and info on them.

The biggest mistake I see people make is PLANNING PERMISSION!

SteveWalker - 9/5/21 at 10:35 PM

You need to check carefully, but you can do quite a lot without planning permission these days.

I needed it for a conservatory, as the house is already extended, but did not for a 12' x 10' shed and do not for extending my garage from 16' x 11' to 21' x 13' as I am going to do this summer.

ianhurley20 - 10/5/21 at 08:02 AM

Planning permission rant!

I live on a corner plot and the side of my house is adjacent to a road and footpath. It had an 8' high hedge along the full length. The hedge shows on early tithe barn maps so its been there a very long time. It was infested with ivy and some fell over blocking the path so I put up 3 x 6' fence panels to plug the gap.
I had some space between my house and the hedge so decided to build a garage and kitchen utility room and went with some sketches and photos to the local planning dept. Thyey said to build the xtension up to my property line I would not need planning permission but I would have to apply for retrospective planning permission for the 3 fence panels, then they tried to talk me out of applying as it would 'urbanise' the area! Really! It's a housing housing estate with a hundred houses on it!!

So I can build a brick extension with a tiled roof 10m x 5m along the side of my property that goes right up to the property line but 3 x 6' fence panels in 100ft of 8' high hedge require planning permission. (yes I did need building reg appoval as well)

roadrunner - 10/5/21 at 08:37 AM

Morning Jacko.
If you fancy a drive over ypu can look at the one I built 2 years back.

I used CLS stud timber and like Big Wasa wrapped it in breathable membrane.
It was all done on the cheap. OV.

Charlie_Zetec - 10/5/21 at 03:59 PM

I built an extension on the back of my garage when I moved into current house 10yrs ago, after i took out the old coal bucket that was in the way. Basic concrete floor, and single red brick course to help keep damp out. Frame was made up of 3" x 2" treated timber, wrapped in a breathable membrane, and then finished in black featheredge with an open gable roof.

Since then I've helped build another garden workshop to same design, and then another "Summer house" with a log lap outer finish, and a hip roof. I've never bothered putting a board finish on the outside face between frame and cladding, as all were boarded out on the inside.

I'm about to embark on building an outhouse for my brother: will have concrete floor, and single concrete building block course around the perimeter. Frame will be made of the same timber frame, membrane, but then will use roofing batten before cladding outside (undecided if this will be wooden log lap, or the plastic-style cladding board as yet), interior to have mineral wool and 15mm OSB walls so he can mount TV etc.. Roof will be pent as it's quicker and easier, and we can argue about whether felt is sufficient or if he wants to splurge out on EPDM!

If it's a timber building (frame and cladding), then technically it's classed as non-permanent, and therefore there are no building control details that have to be adhered to. BUT there are still some restrictions; I believe (and you'll have to check, as they may vary) that although you can erect next to your boundary, you cannot have any overhang (gutters etc.) in other public or private areas. If it is to be situated within 2 metres of a boundary, the maximum height is 2.5 metres - otherwise eave height of 2.5m and maximum overall height that cannot exceed 4 metres (if dual pitched roof) or 3 metres with any other type of roof. Maximum size is 15m.sq., or 30m.sq. if built >1m from boundary.

jacko - 10/5/21 at 04:16 PM

Wow many thanks to all for all the info very much appreciated .
Brad thanks for the invite I will give you a ring when I get things sorted
It’s time we had a tea and biscuits meeting
Graham

roadrunner - 10/5/21 at 07:21 PM

Second that mate.

Bluemoon - 12/5/21 at 10:44 AM

Just built a SIPS garden room (read small workshop), which worked out well with very quick construction, nice and toasty as well. Screw foundations as close to trees. Speed of construction was important.

Also, put up a normal shed, went for a kit from these guys https://www.brierleyhillshedsandsummerhouses.co.uk/- could not get the timber for the cost of the kit! Fully tanalized as well. Small issue with roof leak - but probably solve with EPDM roof (good option and not that expensive).

Like others have said look at the planning permission you probably need to keep within the permitted development rules.

If you want a proper job take a look at mikes workshop design at https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/ (direct link https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/build-a-shed-mikes-way.39389/)

Dan

[Edited on 12/5/21 by Bluemoon]

James - 14/5/21 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Me and the lad are building one at the moment while he still has to much time on his hands. The price of wood has gone through the roof

[/img]

Insane isn't it! You can't make something for the price you can buy the finished product off the shelf.

And even more annoyingly, the finished product is from poor quality materials.