Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chris' Haynes Build
christim

posted on 18/5/21 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
May I suggest that you cut a panel out from the top of the pedal side of the bulkhead panel, if you ever need to get to the pedals you will be glad you did

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Great build thread. Glad you are nearly there.

Can I make one suggestion.
Bloody hurry up
Need to see it finished.

Both excellent suggestions

The pedal access hatch may be a post IVAfuture upgrade...in the interests of getting the build finished (the list of future upgrades is getting quite long!)

I'm getting as much done as I can in three weeks when our baby's due (trying to convince the wife that babies sleep a lot so I can get garage time in then doesn't seem to be working lol)

[Edited on 18/5/21 by christim]

jps

posted on 19/5/21 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by christim
I'm getting as much done as I can in three weeks when our baby's due (trying to convince the wife that babies sleep a lot so I can get garage time in then doesn't seem to be working lol)

Is it your first? If you're lucky my experience has been this is essentially true, the first few months are the time when you can still get stuff done - and small babies really don't do much apart from sleep and eat. Once they start to move and do more, well - you might find that more interesting than playing with cars!

christim

posted on 19/5/21 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep our first...due on 8th June, not long now!
Hopefully you're right and the little one does lots of sleeping, at least long enough to get the car finished - this year sometime!??

starterman

posted on 21/5/21 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
May I suggest that you cut a panel out from the top of the pedal side of the bulkhead panel, if you ever need to get to the pedals you will be glad you did

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Great build thread. Glad you are nearly there.

Can I make one suggestion.
Bloody hurry up
Need to see it finished.

Both excellent suggestions

The pedal access hatch may be a post IVAfuture upgrade...in the interests of getting the build finished (the list of future upgrades is getting quite long!)

Most IVA testers will want to see your pedals so it might be easier to save a potential fail do sort one pre IVA.

James

posted on 21/5/21 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:

Is it your first? If you're lucky my experience has been this is essentially true, the first few months are the time when you can still get stuff done - and small babies really don't do much apart from sleep and eat. Once they start to move and do more, well - you might find that more interesting than playing with cars!

Agree with JPS that you get a bit of a lul post-birth (depending on your feeding/sleeping/working arrangements) and actually, based on my experience of 2, having a normally full-time partner on maternity leave for best part of a year actually makes life easier! However, they don't get interesting IMO until you get a bit of decent spoken feedback which based on my 2 was at about 2years.

Jeez I feel old now!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

christim

posted on 18/11/22 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Right folks, update time. Since my daughter came along (May 2021, my last update here...time has flown!) I'm down to around 4 hours a week (read: nap times at weekends) and the odd day off work.
I've managed to get a fair bit done though, lots of pics, so i'll break this update up into two parts.
Part 1, Headrests, Gaiters, and Dashboard

The headrests fit into the rollbar spaces, making sure everything's IVA compliant (gap less than 50mm, height above 'R' over 700mm)
They have a plywood mount with foam covered by vinyl.

The rhs spine lets me get a flexi screwdriver in to screw the top on to the rollbar once all the padding and covers are in place

Firing up the sewing machine...all vinyl sewn for the headrests and gaiters

Here's the centre console. Sorry no pic of it the right way up (you'll see it in place later on). But this is how it secures to the car...The metal plate is screwed to the wooden console, and there's holes in the metal plate where bolts are accessed from the handbrake and gearstick gaps. These then bolt it all on to the car

Moving on the the dashboard (centre console in place). I started with making a cardboard template and offering it up to the scuttle. Then made an mdf template for the router to trace out the shape into plywood (I did it this way as there were multiple layers with different cuts in each layer), like so:

Putting some t-nuts in, this is how it's secured to the scuttle

Next on the the woodwork, using Sepele wood. I went for this to get the classic wooden interior look I'm after, but something like a walnut burl would be taking it a bit too far I reckon. Sepele has just the right amount of detailing, and stains really well

How's that for accuracy!

Cup holders!

You can't really see it, but the centre dash is book-leaved

And this is the glove box

Finally the dash was covered in vinyl, and all put together. (For the past few years I've been looking for any deals on magnolia smiths dials, and picking them up whenever there's a bargain...They're not cheap)

That's it...on to part 2

christim

posted on 18/11/22 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Part 2...bonnet, windscreen - and bits you have to do when you have a windscreen

So first, I've hinged the bonnet and added gas struts, locating pins, and Aerocatch quick release locks (mind you, with the struts pushing down it's already very tightly closed! This bonnet is definitely not flying off anywhere)

Now the windscreen. Firstly, I made a frame to fit under the scuttle and fix onto the chassis, so the windscreen actually bolts onto this and doesn't use the scuttle for any support at all. After this pic was taken I'd added all the brackets for the windscreen to bolt on to

Making sure to add the wiper motor early to check I had clearance

The uprights are made from stainless steel strips, welded (then ground, sanded, and polished)

On to the windscreen frame. I used standard 3/4 x 3/4 aluminium channel. To get the radiused edges I used a router with a normal concave bit. It worked fine, but this pic doesn't do justice to the amount of aluminium shavings that got everywhere!!

Out with the MDF again to make the windscreen template

And bending the aluminium around the template

The bottom windscreen channel was actually much harder to make. There's no way to bend it into a concave template (at least the stuff I was using, it's too strong to get into those tight curves, even after heating)

I ended up getting the metal bender out and using that instead. A bit of trial and error, bending, straightening, and eventually I got it good enough

Here's the frame offered up, ready to have the bolt holes drilled through it and the uprights

It's a landrover defender glass...bit nervous about cutting it but actually really easy to do! straight lines anyway. Curves not so much. I tried and failed, so the windscreen is cut into a rectangle. This leaves a gap in the bottom edges, which I'll cover somehow

With the windscreen in place I could then work on the wiper setup. Followed David Jenkin's excellent guide for some pointers

Also to make sure the wiper wheel boxes and air vents were really secure I made a sheet steel reinforcing plate

Everything done and in place, I could then add the rubber trim and wipers

On the inside, back to the wood for the air vent louvres

And heating vents. Got to play with my latest toy, a 3d-printer...I used it to make some vent flanges (And already making a list of other parts I can make for the build)

And putting it all together. You'll see I've extended the carpet up, to hide the gap behind the dash and mount the vents to. I figure if I have to have a heater it may as well keep my feet warm

And that's where I'm up to! well, I'm currently fitting the electrics. Hopefully not another year before my next update

(Oh and also, the side runners made from aluminium channel covered in same material as boot, with countersunk bolts)

christim

posted on 30/6/23 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
One step closer. The past few months I've been working on the electrics:

First thing I did was fabricate a battery/heater air filter box, with holes cut in the base so air's drawn in from the passenger footwell. I'll pipe the air from here to the radiator fan

Also I cut a hole for the fusebox

With the battery and fusebox installed I know where I need to wire from/to

The next few weeks was spent unpicking the Sierra loom and Mondeo Engine loom, labelling each wire, following wiring diagrams, etc. I put all the wires in place first so I could find the correct length needed for each, then out with the wire cutters and cut all to length. I added connectors & wired everything up, to make sure all was working correctly. Then fault finding, fixing, and retesting

Once everything was working as expected, I cable tied and pulled all the wiring out, then got wrapping. Behind the dashboard is all wrapped in fabric insulation tape, and everywhere else is wrapped in fabric, then put in conduit, and the conduit's then wrapped in plastic insulation tape. May be overkill, but it's all definitely protected and not going anywhere!
With that done I installed the finished loom for the last time, securing in place with p-clips and cable ties where appropriate

Here's under the scuttle, with ECU in place (you can also see on the left the bracket I made for the OBD reader)

The dashboard wiring is separate for ease of attaching/removing the dashboard

It attaches to the connectors on the main loom (loose wires are for the PATS antenna, to be finished when I make a steering column shroud)

Engine bay all neatly clipped down

The headlight wiring goes into the chassis headlight stalk and through into the engine bay

For the side indicators I drilled into the headlight bowl and added slimline side indicators

Transmission tunnel wiring, where I 3d-printed a splitter which attaches to the different sized conduit

Conduit then goes on to the back with wiring connected to fuel pumps, reg light, rear lights clusters etc. Those aren't installed yet I'll do them when the rear arches are on. Putting that task off for as long as possible, as soon as they're on I'm going to have v.limited space to work in the garage!

Next step is inlet manifold modifications...should only take a few hours. Finding those free hours is getting harder though, with the little one now 2. She's keen to 'help' though

christim

posted on 14/9/23 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Been a busy few months but still managing to get stuff done. Here's the inlet manifold and extra bits done on the driver's side...basically anything I can do on this side of the car before I have to pull it out to get to the other side...The garage is getting pretty cramped so there won't be much space to move around once I've pulled the car out.

I'm using a GBS inlet plenum, so first step was to plane away the inlet flange from the OEM inlet:

I also had to re-fit the fuel rail. I'd turned it around so the outlets were pointing to to back, but the plenum gets in the way if the rail is that way round. So now the outlet points forward again. I bent some copper pipe all sorts of weird shapes around the various corners so now the outlet can connect back up to the fuel pipe coming out of the transmission tunnel again:

And I covered the pipe in conduit:

Next I want to keep the Idle Control Valve in the correct setup...meaning it needs to be mounted after the throttle but still taking air from after the Mass Airflow Sensor. Did some research and a sensible solution seems to be mounting it at the plenum entrance as described <here>. Only I need an inlet to the IACV that connects to the inlet air.
I designed and 3d-printed this part, which does the job nicely!:

Test version

And here's the part mounted (bolts go through into the plenum with lock nuts on the through bolts:

Next to the air filter, which is being mounted as far forward as it can go (i.e. in the only space available!). To do this I made up two mounting bars:

And attached the air filter to the MAF sensor, then mounted to the chassis using those bars:

With that, I could connect the two ends together and finish the inlet. Here it is with the pipe installed:

I got a t section from AutoSiliconeHoses to connect the IACV pipe to:

Staying in the engine bay, I made a mount for the washer canister:

Getting a bit tight on space now!:

And routed the washer fluid pipes via the hinge at the bottom of the nose cone, up and into the bonnet:

I also made a mount for the oil catch can:

Catching oil from both the crankcase breather and rocker cover breather:

And final job in the engine bay for now, adding a view/access point for the pedal...thank you to those who suggested.
It has a rubber seal around the hole and held down with Dzus fasteners:

christim

posted on 26/1/24 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Update time
Good progress made over the past few months, especially the past two weeks I took off work - child in nursery mon-fri - so I've got a lot done. Made a list of everything needed to finish, and on track to have it done by Easter (THIS year!).

Starting with a couple of minor things:

I made the front grille, started by laying out the roll and weighing down the template I cut, then used tipex to mark where to cut

Then cut this out, added flanges to pull it tight onto the nosecone, and added rubber trim

Here it is in place

Next was to finish the fuel tank. I've now mounted it on rubber trim to stop the vibrations (it's earthed). Here's my solution for expansion/fumes...filled an oil catch can with activated charcoal

and mounted it in place, with a non-return/anti roll valve and making sure the pipe is the highest point in the system

Now on to the exhaust. First the manifold...Ideally I wanted stainless steel, the cat inside, and a single exit in the side panel (as the bonnet has a metal frame meaning the exhaust can't go through there without stopping the bonnet being opened). After much searching I found this from Gravity Performance, and it fits perfectly, with about 10mm space between the top of the bonnet

The rest of the pipework I could do myself, so ordered various stainless straights, curves, and a turbo flange to mount to the manifold, then welded it all up

Here I've already welded a straight and a curve together, then polished down...to test my stainless steel welding. Looks good so the rest could be welded up too. Added a resonator too hoping that will help reduce some Db when it comes to IVA

And now the exhaust in place

For mounting the exhaust, I made a bracket and welded this on to the silencer

I'm not happy with the mount itself...it sits too low (the lowest point on the car by quite a bit). It wouldn't be long before it gets knocked off on a speed bump, so will make a version 2.0

Time for the side panels to be cut to their final shape. I'd always been trying to keep as little cut off as possible, with holes for each wishbone arm, suspension, etc. But in the end I had so many holes it made sense to just cut the whole lot away. I think in the end it looks much neater though so not regretting the decision

Lastly the exhaust hole

Taken a few tips from other builds: With a stainless steel (bin!) cut up to shape and wrapped in heat reflective tape, and kunifer brake pipe used to trim the edge and keep Mr IVA happy

I have the rear wheel assembly all done, handbrake cable in, and fixing the side panels...so won't be too long before the next update

christim

posted on 26/2/24 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
On the home stretch now! I'm guesstimating finished by Easter at this rate. Here's what I've ticked off the list since the last update:

I 3d printed a tube to go from the air filter box to the heater unit. It's an odd shape so the 3d printing really came in handy for this. Here's what I designed

The part being printed

And finally the part on the car

Next some side trim was made up of aluminium bar wrapped in green vinyl to mount onto the side panel arches

And seat belt mount covers, so they're IVA complaint (hopefully). Cut out the patterns and it was out with the sewing machine again

they fit ok too, I was worried they'd look really out of place, but think they blend in nicely actually. Here they are along with the trim added to the side arch

On to the dashboard and getting the last bits done so it can be attached permanently to the scuttle. I attached wire to the glove box, and a push-release button, which needed another 3d printed part to mount it at the correct height to work magnetically with the latch

I made some bezels for the heater and light controls, using the same wood as the interior (Sepele) I cut, routed, and lathed them down to shape

You can see here how the older wood has already aged to more of a red colour. the bezels should blend in better once they darken too. The dash is now permanently attached.

Pedals are also now on with their grip (sandpaper) attached

Minicooper

posted on 26/2/24 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Superb work Chris, keep it up

Cheers
David

ReMan

posted on 26/2/24 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Schrodinger

posted on 27/2/24 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good, just one observation on your windscreen, it has to have the manufacturers mark etched in the glass or between layers, it looked as though you may have cut it off, I hope not.

Keith
Aviemore

christim

posted on 28/2/24 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
Looking good, just one observation on your windscreen, it has to have the manufacturers mark etched in the glass or between layers, it looked as though you may have cut it off, I hope not.

Yep all good...made sure to keep the e mark. While we're on the subject this brings me on to a couple more quick updates:

Back when I cut the glass I had problems cutting the concave curve at the bottom, so ended up with a straight edge. This means there's a gap in the corners

So back to the 3d printer to make some blanks to fit over the gap

With some dome-headed bolts behind the windscreen screwing into the front blanking plate

Sticking with the windscreen, the wipers are now on. The arms needed twisting so they lay correctly on the glass, and I've pulled the springs apart slightly as they were too tight. Works a treat now

Also I finished the bonnet aerocatches, extending the bolt/rod and making a housing for them to slot into. (Although now I have to remember to unlatch them every time I need to get into the engine bay)

Lastly I finished the steering wheel surround. It's good enough but will only be temporary until a post-IVA upgrade of the steering wheel setup

Left on the to-do list (in order):

Finish exhaust mount v2.0
Rear lights
Front running gear (wishbones/Uprights/Suspension/track rod)
Finish brakes (flexi hoses, bleeding system)
Cut and adjust handbrake cable
Extend steering rod
Attach front/rear wheel arches
Wing mirrors

[Edited on 28/2/2024 by christim]

christim

posted on 5/3/24 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
So I put in some fuel and filled the coolant over the weekend and fired her up (Woop!), check everything works....I need to add a few things to the list
Coolant pipes and bonnet are too close to the exhaust headers when fully heated up:

1. Move coolant pipes away from headers as much as possible (not much room to play with), making room for:
2. An exhaust heat shield
3. Going to have to go with louvres on the bonnet, headers are about 10mm away from the top. I don't know what temp fibreglass/gelcoat will get damaged by but it's definitely too close
4. Insulate the windscreen washer pipes
5. Post IVA....heat protection for external bits of the exhaust/silencer

christim

posted on 18/3/24 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
So extra jobs now mostly done, and a few other things ticked off the list:

Exhaust mount 2.0....much better clearance, only a few mm below the floor now. The bobbins are a trial...I've actually drilled two holes in the mount where the exhaust attaches, so if they fail I can quickly remove them and solidly mount to the chassis if needed

Coolant pipes have been moved and I've made a heat shield:

Also louvres and top grille added (Louvres are parallel I promise! must just be the camera lens):

Moving to the back again, the rear arches are now fitted...I've used rivnuts where the holes go into the metal chassis, and jack nuts where they go into the fibreglass:

Left on the list is:

2nd set of louvres and heat shield on the bonnet (It's still getting too hot above the headers)
Insulate the windscreen washer pipes
Rear lights
Front running gear
Brakes (make up flexi hoses and fill system)
Cut and fit handbrake cable
Front arches

Still on track for finishing by Easter...I think!

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.