<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daily landy S3, needs to live outside
SJ

posted on 14/12/22 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan

It's just like a kit car!

I've got an MGB and that's just the same!

sebastiaan

posted on 14/12/22 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
It is actually quite interesting to see the differences in engineering between my small "fleet". The Fiat 500f is actually put together much better than the landy, and both are of similar vintage as far as original design goes. The Alfa 105 coupe is in a league of its own in that respect. You can clearly see that was an expensive car (and a 911 competitor when introduced - shame history decided it would not remain a competitor...)

the goal with the landy is to get it driving safely ASAP and improve along the way. Gearbox out planned for this summer to fix 2nd gear synchro and I am sure there will be much more to come.

Benzine

posted on 14/12/22 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Mt friend Ace has one in that colour and loves it

[Edited on 14-12-2022 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 14/12/22 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
working on a SWB S2 was my introduction to cars, I rebuilt mine. Areas for attention - brakes, brake hoses and clutch. double-de-clutching on the gearbox is a necessary method as it has no synchro.
Update the headlights is good - especially for off-road and night driving.

also swapping the leaf springs for parabolic will help - everything adds costs - the biggest efficiency is swapping the massive 2.25 lump out for something more modern with fuel injection.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

sebastiaan

posted on 14/12/22 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
working on a SWB S2 was my introduction to cars, I rebuilt mine. Areas for attention - brakes, brake hoses and clutch. double-de-clutching on the gearbox is a necessary method as it has no synchro.
Update the headlights is good - especially for off-road and night driving.

also swapping the leaf springs for parabolic will help - everything adds costs - the biggest efficiency is swapping the massive 2.25 lump out for something more modern with fuel injection.

Yes, lots of scope for upgrades. Clutch is also on the list, probably with an upgrade to the defender pedal setup with "helper spring". Or an additional booster in the clutch line, let's see. Key is making it safe-ish and driveable also for the wife, hence the big brake booster and clutch stuff. Engine upgrade is enticing but if that happens, I'll go 2wd only, loose the transfer box (blasphemy!) and chuck in a modern EDC15 controlled diesel. Something merc or BMW probably. But that's lots of cost and work for a 1000-mile-per-year hack.

HowardB

posted on 14/12/22 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
That is a lot of work for 1000m a year.

later engines into an early chassis is common, td300 etc.

It is an adventure and great fun!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/12/22 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
My 1967 ex-Military SII 109: I went for a Mazda 3.0HA when the great rebuild happened some time ago, actually a Perkins 4.182 built under licence by the Japanese. Suits the car really well, not terribly powerful, lots of towing torque (it's my backup race car tug) but not so much it endangers the SIII synchro box.
The only other modifications of note were 4.1 KAM differentials, a SIII wiper motor and rack, SIII steering column and a single tank conversion (with external filler) negating the need to strip the seating out at service stations. Screw-in wheels studs went in favour of SIII hubs with pressed studs, welded one piece rims instead of the military split-rims. Synchro gearbox required some surgery on the chassis for the clutch shaft and slave cylinder.
Heavy restoration centred on the bulkhead, footwells, hinge posts, top vent recesses and the modifications to mount the SIII column. Chassis didn't need much, with the MoD underseal still there. I replaced the rear and gearbox crossmembers, one outrigger, due to squaddie damage, not rust!

Roof off in the summer, on in the winter (or when full of stuff).

It's noisy, slow, uncomfortable, poor steering, poor braking, hard work.... but then it's not a Megabusa.

Just relax, take it slow, take your time (you have no option). You are everyone's problem, not the other way around, chill.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/12/22 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice

I can't say I miss by S3 though, well maybe a tiny bit when the sun is out but it was a thirsty swine

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/12/22 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
As for that movie clip, can't say I have any feelings for Ace Ventura except nausea.

Showing my age here, but The Gods Must be Crazy still brings a smile to my face. I'm into microlighting, the sequel is still quite funny (to me, again, I'm no youngster).

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/22 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

Showing my age here, but The Gods Must be Crazy still brings a smile to my face. I'm into microlighting, the sequel is still quite funny (to me, again, I'm no youngster).

The thing I really liked was Xi reaching the edge of the world to throw the bottle and yeah that's exactly what it looks like! what a brilliant ending

sebastiaan

posted on 16/12/22 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update: front seatbelts are almost in. Still need to clean the threads in the bulkhead, but looks like it'll all fit. New brake master and larger booster in, required some mods to the pedal and brake pedestal. Nothing major though. Job stalled because I don't have the correct brake line flaring kit, so ordered one and then it's game on again.

Hope to have her driving before newyears so she can move out of the garage and I can put the Fiat 500 back in which is now temporarily in storage.

sebastiaan

posted on 19/12/22 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Belts in, injectors out for cleaning and reconditioning (new nozzle tips). Fitted simple electric washer bottle+pump as it had a manual thing before which of course did not work. Brake pipe flaring kit also came today, so will give that a go tonight.
sebastiaan

posted on 20/12/22 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Some pictures because why not...

It only just fits, with the tires let down

Nasty switchgear, since cleaned in the ultrasonic bath

Brake stuff in progress:

Seatbelts in progress:

sebastiaan

posted on 23/12/22 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Tested the injectors. All had too low cracking pressure, one was leaking (yep, that'll explain the white smoke) and one had a very bad spray pattern.

Pulled them apart, ran 'm through the ultrasonic cleaner and put back together with genuine Bosch nozzles. Adjusted cracking pressure and they are ready to go again. Also adjusted valve clearances whilts the injectors were out and the engine was easy to turn over.

I hope to have her running again before crimbo, but am still waiting on some new fuel hose to come.

sebastiaan

posted on 10/9/23 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
This is still doing it's job. And breaking down every so often. Just like expected.

[Edited on 10/9/23 by sebastiaan]

[Edited on 11/9/23 by sebastiaan]

mark chandler

posted on 10/9/23 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Having owned and completely rebuilt 5 of the things I can confidently say that is a very very very bad idea. They are horrible to drive, incredibly noisy, dangerous in a crash, slow as feck, drink fuel like you have a hole in the tank, rust, rot and leak like nothing else. It really is your worst possible choice...

I still like them but will never get another. A Rav4, Jimmy, Shogun or even a Niva are vastly better vehicles to go for.

Funny enough every single person I have told Not to buy one has went off and got one anyway only to very quickly regret they didn't listen.

Funny story of the last one, was an IT guy at work. Got a heap, came over saying its got a blown head as it won't do more than 40mph! So I had a shot and got up to 65mph and shouted at him "THIS IS WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE AT 65! YOU HAVE TO THRASH THE CRAP OUT IT!" it was up for sale the next week...

[Edited on 18/2/21 by Mr Whippy]

100% right, horrible things. I had them and raced them for years, if you must get a 90/defender or an old Range Rover.

sebastiaan

posted on 11/9/23 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
100% right, horrible things. I had them and raced them for years, if you must get a 90/defender or an old Range Rover.

You're a little late ;-) It hasn't been too bad to live with so far, but I've only gotten through two tanks of fuel in the last year. So very much OK for that kind of mileage.

sebastiaan

posted on 22/4/24 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Still got this, still breaking down a little every so often. Got a roof top tent, broke the fuel gauge, ran out of fuel once (yeah....). Have a new starter on the shelf for months, not fitted yet. Put the spare on the bonnet because why not.

Still does around a 1000 miles per year or so. Very much a love/hate thing, so I'm not sure what to do with it. We'll see....

MikeR

posted on 23/4/24 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
it looks lovely - think of it this way, if you didn't have it to hate, you'd have to find something else to hate. This way you at least know what you hate, where it is and how to get away from it.

(no, i don't want to buy it. I'd love one having never owned one but don't have the time, space or mental energy to deal with one)

Mike Wood

posted on 23/4/24 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to see this thread revived with updates. Good too to see the poster ignored the sensible advice and went for an old Landrover anyway!

I had a Series III swb, van top, safari roof, free wheel front hubs, 2.25litre petrol. A shed. Bought with an MoT for £500 in the 1990s with the test drive in a quarry. The only vehicle I have ever had that when I got rid of it as moving house and no longer anywhere to fix it everyone I knew were sad I had sold it, including my other half, workmates and even some of the students I then taught. Bit like when growing a beard, many people unprompted voiced their opinion.

Like having a Mini, 2CV or VW Beetle, a motoring experience to savour/endure/enjoy at the time and/or in retrospect.

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 23/4/24 by Mike Wood]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.