Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Difference between Track Day Tyres and Road Tyres
ChrisJ15

posted on 13/4/24 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Difference between Track Day Tyres and Road Tyres

Hi, I have a J15 which has Yokohama Advan A048s all round which are getting a bit old and perished so need replacing.

I cant replace like for like as these tyres aren't E rated anymore.

Because they are 195/60R14 rear and 185/55R14 fronts I'm finding it really difficult to find an equivalent track day tyre. The only one I can find in that size are Dunlop Direzza which are quite expensive (£160ish each).

I dont plan to do a huge amount of track days so my question is, whats the difference between a reasonable road tyre and a track day tyre on a circuit? I know its a very open question but is there a massive difference between the two when just going for some spirited track day fun?

Probably worth adding the car is only 500Kg and is 200bhp.

[Edited on 13/4/24 by ChrisJ15]

JoelP

posted on 13/4/24 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking in to tyres recently. To be honest, £160 doesn't seem too bad, considering these cars don't seen to ever wear their tyres out. I'd be tempted to just get the best grip, even if you don't really need it on the road. Obviously weigh that up against the reality that you might actually need some wet performance in normal use, rather than a few pretend treads to satisfy the law!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bi22le

posted on 13/4/24 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
No sure what their cost is but I would look at R888R. I am pretty sure they are road legal with E stamps.

They are a very capable track day tyre, fine on the road. Crap in the wet, but you wont get a decent dry track tyre which is also good in the road grease rain.

The only comprimise is they "only" do 185 60 R14 , not a 195. Buy the 185 and I bet you wont notice the 10mm tread width.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ChrisJ15

posted on 14/4/24 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Frustratingly the R888s aren't available in a 55 profile for 14" rims. Car looks a bit odd with the taller profile on the front.

I cant find an road tyres at these sizes so looks like its the Direzzas!

obfripper

posted on 14/4/24 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
There is the mrf zrt and the yokohama a052 available in your front size, the mrf zrt seems to have good reviews and is used as a control tyre for the mx5 race series, and the a052 is the road legal replacement for the a048r, these might be worth a try if the prices are right.

Dave

[Edited on 14/4/24 by obfripper]

loggyboy

posted on 15/4/24 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Did a back to back test at Blyton on 3 sets of tyres. Mich PS2 road tyres, Yoko AD08R fast road then Yoko A048 race tyres (comp only), and dry performance confirmed as night, dusk and day. A small step between PS2 and AD08R, but noticeable, and massive more grip in the A048, which whilst being the competition versions, they were on a par with the road legal race tyres ive used before (A042 and Avon ZZR)
What is also night and day is wet performance, whilst damp is a performance level for any treaded tyre (as is more about heat than tread), full wet with standing water, IMO and IME you dont want to be out on road or track in anything thats not either a normal treaded road tyre or a intended track wet/intermediate.
So if its less about comparing track to road tyres as comparing how likely you are to be out on the road in the rain.

Mistral Motorsport

ChrisJ15

posted on 16/4/24 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Did a back to back test at Blyton on 3 sets of tyres. Mich PS2 road tyres, Yoko AD08R fast road then Yoko A048 race tyres (comp only), and dry performance confirmed as night, dusk and day. A small step between PS2 and AD08R, but noticeable, and massive more grip in the A048, which whilst being the competition versions, they were on a par with the road legal race tyres ive used before (A042 and Avon ZZR)
What is also night and day is wet performance, whilst damp is a performance level for any treaded tyre (as is more about heat than tread), full wet with standing water, IMO and IME you dont want to be out on road or track in anything thats not either a normal treaded road tyre or a intended track wet/intermediate.
So if its less about comparing track to road tyres as comparing how likely you are to be out on the road in the rain.

Thats a really good point. I only have an aero screen so no desire to be out in the rain but have noticed significantly less grip even on damp roads.

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/4/24 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisJ15
quote:

Thats a really good point. I only have an aero screen so no desire to be out in the rain but have noticed significantly less grip even on damp roads.

I am more of an enthuastic trackayer rather than particularly skilled, and use a comparatively inapporopriate car (spitfire but st170 poweed)
I thought about some bespoke TD tyres, but as I drive the car to and from the track, and that can be 200 miles, I have no way of transporting a spare set of wheels. And given some of the rain I have experienced on some events, I am glad I opted to stick with road tyres. Add to that the vast majority of t=driving I do is touring. This year got a castle combe td in early May, off the Spa for teh classic, including a single 20mins on track. Then off to Ireland with friends, and in Sept a 3K tour of europe down to the alps and dolomites where the interesting roads are.

There is another perspective too. Are you going for the very fastest times? there was an interesting article a few years ago comparing TD v road tyres. The conclusion was that the road tyres were about 1-2% slower lap times, but more fun. I can't remember what car was used for the test, that may have had a bearing on the results. But worth a thought.

At present I am on Uniroyals which seem comparable to the Michelins I had previously.

ChrisJ15

posted on 16/4/24 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisJ15
quote:

I am more of an enthuastic trackayer rather than particularly skilled, and use a comparatively inapporopriate car (spitfire but st170 poweed)
I thought about some bespoke TD tyres, but as I drive the car to and from the track, and that can be 200 miles, I have no way of transporting a spare set of wheels. And given some of the rain I have experienced on some events, I am glad I opted to stick with road tyres. Add to that the vast majority of t=driving I do is touring. This year got a castle combe td in early May, off the Spa for teh classic, including a single 20mins on track. Then off to Ireland with friends, and in Sept a 3K tour of europe down to the alps and dolomites where the interesting roads are.

There is another perspective too. Are you going for the very fastest times? there was an interesting article a few years ago comparing TD v road tyres. The conclusion was that the road tyres were about 1-2% slower lap times, but more fun. I can't remember what car was used for the test, that may have had a bearing on the results. But worth a thought.

At present I am on Uniroyals which seem comparable to the Michelins I had previously.

Again a very good point. If I booked a track day and it rained a lot I probably would have to bin it on track day tyres.

I'm not looking for fastest lap times, just biggest smiles and you can argue that a little sideways action, allbeit slower, is more fun!

The car is so light with a very good power to weight ratio (400bhp/ton) that the laws of physics dictate that it will go around corners very quickly indeed anyhow, regardless of grip.

All good food for thought, many thanks for all the comments.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.