Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance for contents of home workshop
Matty Dog

posted on 15/9/22 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance for contents of home workshop

I have had my house and vehicles insured with Aviva for a number of years, but I'm thinking it's time to review all my insurance.

On looking at the home insurance policy details, I see I am only covered for up to £2500 for the contents of any shed or outbuilding.
Having had my garage broken into and all my tools stolen many years ago, I know £2500 won't go all that far in replacing all the tools and things that I've collected over the years. I phoned Aviva to ask if I could increase the cover on the workshop contents (and obviously pay a higher premium), but was told this wasn't an option.
I shopped around for alternative insurers. RAC will only cover up to £1000 for outbuilding and garage contents and Tesco appears not to cover these items at all.

I imagine most people reading this would have a fair bit of value tied up in the contents of their workshops, so thought I would ask what measures you have taken to insure them.

indykid

posted on 15/9/22 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
LV insure the contents of detached outbuildings to the full value of the insured house contents.

I only stumbled upon them when they were cheapest at renewal following the house being burgled, but I have a substantial amount of machine tooling in the garage that doesn't really need insuring for theft (it'd take days to move it) but fire is a real risk.

I'll be renewing with LV again this year because I can't find any alternative for the outbuildings cover. A colleague at work tells me various other insurers will offer increased outbuildings cover if you ring and ask, but LV offer it as standard

HowardB

posted on 15/9/22 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried NFU?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

jacko

posted on 16/9/22 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Big dog
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 18/9/22 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
I hear lots of positive things about NFU.i called to get a quote and they wanted to send someone round to do an assessment. Conscious of wasting their time I told them the region our quotes we're in and they said they'd not be in that ball park.

We're insured by m&s which is really someone elses policy they're selling. We're deliberately not on the cheap offer and this gives lots of additional cover for things like the garage.

My experience of insurance is be careful with the computation sites, double check what is/isn't included in the policies as they don't tell you everything you'll need to know when doing a comparison.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.