Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAN bus help
Theshed

posted on 1/6/23 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
CAN bus help

This might be a bit obscure but I know there are some seriously good programmer types on here. To start with I accept I am an idiot.....

I have a power distribution unit badged as a Bosch Power Box 180 but it is the same as the OBR PCM2 ('the PDU'. My issue is with CAN communications. I have a lawicel CANUSB interface. When I fist started to program the unit I managed to make it communicate with the PC based software without difficulty. It used 11 bit source addresses for send and receive. So thinking I was clever I added a CAN Keyboard. That is J1939 and uses 29 bit identifiers.

Like an idiot I was just playing around trying to get the keyboard to do something. I used some software designed for the same keyboard but with OpenCan. At some point I attempted to send a file - I thought to the keypad but fear I sent it to the PDU.

What then happened is that I have lost communication between the PDU and the computer (via the interface). This has been driving me nuts and I have completely failed to restore communication.

The Can bus is now limited to 2 devices - the interface and the PDU.
I think that the can bus is properly terminated (assuming that the PDU internal termination resistor is turned off in the software.
I know that the PDU is active for 2 reasons. If I set the PC connection speed to anything other than 500k bits/s it shows an error. When I use 500k Bits/s the error light on the interface goes from steady to flashing.
I have used a can monitor to capture the messages sent by the PDU on start up. The message starts with 05580F00000785 followed by data bytes.
I think that is a 29 bit identifier. It seems that I have sent this in error when messing about. The default 11 bit identifiers (which worked previously) are transmit - 55 and receive 785 (I think but I might have those the wrong way around). Those need to be specified in the pc software along with the same for the interface (but reversed). I can select 11 or 29 bit as an option in the software.

So.....

Can anybody tell me what 05580F00000785 tells me about the CAN Id? I think it is a 29 bit identifier with a source and destination address plus 80F.

If I can work out what is being transmitted I hope I can set the correct send/receive address in the pc software and get communications back.

Please do not just tell me I am an idiot - I know that already

coyoteboy

posted on 1/6/23 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Send the chaps over at canable.io a question?
Theshed

posted on 1/6/23 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ohh thank you I had not discovered them. If I have to watch another you tube video I will go mad!

coyoteboy

posted on 1/6/23 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have only recently started to dabble with one nor their devices but I'm sure if anyone can help poke about in an unknown system, it's likely to be them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.