Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Repair rear window heater?
number-1

posted on 12/2/24 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Repair rear window heater?

Has anyone used a repair kit for a rear window defrosting grid? Any suggestions on a kit to go for as the ones ive seen are bad to poor feedback

Cheers

N1

rusty nuts

posted on 12/2/24 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Think the stuff I used years ago was called Electrocure? It worked but care was needed to get it looking neat

Slimy38

posted on 12/2/24 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Has anyone used a repair kit for a rear window defrosting grid? Any suggestions on a kit to go for as the ones ive seen are bad to poor feedback

Cheers

N1

I suspect the poor feedback is largely based on the people applying it. Any conductive paint should be able to restore the circuit, it would take a bit more effort to get it looking good and virtually impossible to have the repair actually heating the glass. The last one I saw had a permanent circle of condensation round the repair, but the rest of the strip worked perfectly. No idea what the brand was though, I'm not even sure it was this century!

coyoteboy

posted on 12/2/24 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Never had a problem with the wee metallic paint things. Always worked if you follow the instructions.
Mr Whippy

posted on 13/2/24 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Never had a problem with the wee metallic paint things. Always worked if you follow the instructions.

dito, Halfords sells it. Just give it a clean with alcohol or brake cleaner. use some blue masking tape either side of the break and brush it on, wait 10 mins and peal the tape off. Worked perfectly on my Fiesta where only half the rear screen was demisting due to damage from people closing the boot on stuff.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 14/2/24 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Never needed to use it, but I can imagine it being difficult to get a tidy and working finish.

I'd imagine car insurance policies cover a broken rear window (probably with an excess), but not a failed defrosting element (you may have already checked this).

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/2/24 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Never needed to use it, but I can imagine it being difficult to get a tidy and working finish.

Super easy actually, so long as you mask either side of the track, only slightly different colour (the Fiesta wires where brownish but some model paint could sort that if it bothered you enough.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.