<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Number plate theft
bob

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Number plate theft

Off to work this morning in the tin top 05.15 number plates gone screws and all

Bastards

A phone call produced a crime number, 20 quid at the factors produced some new plates.

Days holiday lost

SeaBass

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately your car has probably now been 'cloned'. Expect some speed camera fines soon - good job you reported it. You will probably be stopped a few times over the next week lol...

Best move is to relocate to the Scottish Isles I'd say...

matt_claydon

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
Off to work this morning in the tin top 05.15 number plates gone screws and all

Bastards

A phone call produced a crime number, 20 quid at the factors produced some new plates.

Days holiday lost

Bastards indeed. And to make matters worse you should probably expect a few speeding tickets/parking fines through the door over the following months

balidey

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Beat them at their own game.

Go through as many speed traps as fast as possible. Then just claim it wasn't you, as you have a crime reference number.

bob

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
i'l report back on how many speeding tickets parking fines and unpaid congestion charges i get

Just about to pen a letter off to the DVLA which i was advised to do as well, giving them the crime number and time the car was last used.

Danozeman

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Theres another word for people that do that and its not bastards.. Begins with c.

There will probably be some drive aways in fuel stations too.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

graememk

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
i had mine nicked when the london charges came in and i got loads of fines in the post, i bought a £250 personal plate in the end.

David Jenkins

posted on 27/7/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
There is a solution coming, but not until the autumn...

LINKY

David

ned

posted on 27/7/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
i have heard of (but not yet seen) the tamper proof/one way screws, sort of like security screws which you might be able to get where the drive section of the head of the screw snaps off leaving a domed screw top. not going to stop them but they might do the car next door as it'd be easier...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 27/7/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
screwfix sell security shear nuts (12099)
M6 M8 and M10 but i'm sure i have seen the tamperproof screws sommewhere.
They allow a flat head screwdriver to rotate clockwise but not anticlock.

David Jenkins

posted on 27/7/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Industrial-grade double-sided tape would also be useful...

ned

posted on 27/7/06 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
yeah i think they work something along the lines that the slot is wasted on one side (or half of each side opposing iyswim) so you can only do them up, try to undo them and the screwdriver just falls off the screwhead...

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 27/7/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
You'd have to use steel screws instead of the current nylon jobs, otherwise you could just cut the head off with a knife.

MkIndy7

posted on 27/7/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Or just something a bit more obscure.

The thiefs will go out with a Phillips or Flat screwdrive in their pocket because thats what they've all got.

Put an allen screw, or torques bit or even a bolt and then there highly unlikely to have the correct tool with them.

Danozeman

posted on 27/7/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
You can get tamperproof torx screws which have a pin up the middle. Nothing will undo unless u have the right tool.

I wonder how many people will buy the anti nick plates and fit them with phillips screws so they can just be unscrewed.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

jollygreengiant

posted on 27/7/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you go down to a good fixing/screw supplier (Local to me is East Midland Fastners in Wellingborough), then you will find that they do a whole/large range of anti tamper/tamper proof/use once fixings, with a variety of heads suitable for number plate use.

Best of all is they are relatively cheap.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

theconrodkid

posted on 27/7/06 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
ive got zillions of stainless allens,a squirt of black silicone on the back as well should make them pretty imovabubble

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

matt.c

posted on 27/7/06 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Buy metal number plates and wire them to your battery!!!!

Barst*ds

They should have there hands cut off when they get caught!

caber

posted on 27/7/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know why they bother you can still buy individual stick on numbers and reflective backgrounds from trailer suppliers! There are plenty dodgy plate makers still around as well!

Caber

ned

posted on 28/7/06 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
not forgetting you can still buy 'show plates' from numerous suppliers and at shows...

Ned.

Brooky

posted on 28/7/06 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
There is no such thing as a tamper proof screw. I have seen a demo of a prisoner who got a tooth brush, melted the end with a lighter ( thats not the bristle end by the way ) and forced the warm plastic onto the head of the screw. Once the plastic had cooled, he had the perfect tool to remove the screw.
ChrisJLW

posted on 28/7/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
www.aplates.com Supply legal plates and you don't need any documentation. They're better quality compared to the crap I get from the 'legal' plate suppliers. Sealed edges, that make the plate last longer than 6 months.

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

owelly

posted on 30/7/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
But you have to pay for those plates. If you nick them, they are free!!
And I noticed a 'security screwdriver set' in the local chavvy £1 shop the other day. It had all the Torx/Allen keys with the hole up the middle and a few I'd never seen!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Dazza

posted on 31/7/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
yep, bastads

The best way, after reading all the comments, and having a little experience............. would be

Good quality bouble sided 1st, tamperproof screws, plastic caps, superglue the caps closed, and park it in a garage....... Chain the dog(bigger the better) to the car with a lead long enough to make it round the car, put CCTV with infa red night vision on front and back, with signs to make it legal. The sit up all nite with a shotgun aimed in the general direction, loaded. A couple big security guards with some rather large Mag Lights that are way to big to actually be torches, with attitudes to match, and finally, to finish it off, have all that behind a 10 foot wall with anti climb grease, razor wire on top and flood lights that turn on when an ant wonders by........................................

That will show em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

martyn_16v

posted on 31/7/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
you forgot the caltraps
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.