Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec or Duratec
DarrenW

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec or Duratec

I was chatting to a mate last night about speccing a kit and engine choices. 2.0 Duratec is the favoured engine choice but being quite new they seem to be pricey still and not many have been fitted compared to zetecs etc. The reason for favouring duratec is the newness and the anticipation that in the near future good power increases can be had for sensible money.

Reason for the post is therefore - what would you choose and why? (limited to 2.0 flavours please)

If you opt for duratec why would you do that and where would you look to source one at a decent price (and the bits to make them run in a se7en). How would you fuel it - again on a reasonable budget? What gearbox would you opt for?

My view was that there are more parts for the zetec available off the shelf and if you pop an engine a replacement can be had farly cheaply, but im sure in a couple of years the same will be said of duratecs.

Hopefully this will provoke an interesting debate.

I dont suppose anyone has a knackered bottom end they are willing to loan out do they so engine mounts etc can be made?

Peteff

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec will need a different bellhousing as well, they are not the same pattern as the older Fords.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, we are aware of some of the basic differences. Not looked into wiring and fuelling specifics yet though. Things like bell housing adaptors are a key consideration on cost.

novacaine

IIRC the duratec was a joint development between ford and mazda,

could that mean that there is a possibility of an mx-5 Gearbox bolting up ?

just a wild guess, but if it works, could be very useful....

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Guinness

I'd go duratec. The fact that the zetec is an iron block and the duratec is alloy would be the deciding factor for me.

Mike

DarrenW

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting point Mike. Does anyone know the weight and dimension differences between the 2? Are duratec sumps easily modified? Any issues with location of ancilliaries?

02GF74

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'd favour the zetec. Bolts straight on, has exhaust on the correct side so deafens the passenger not driver, can get pre 95 flavour so no need for cat so can be run on carbs.
bassett

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Id go zetec as at the moment there cheap and tuneable and then in a few years go for the duratec once the prices are reasonable and a few are knocking around. Surely the change wouldnt be that expensive and only a few mods would be needed when you need to make the change. What fords come with the duratecs fitted?
bob

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Just seen this duratec bolted to what looks like a type 9 with modified ali bellhouse.

Might be the picture but that engine looks mighty big Rescued attachment 00034.jpg
Rescued attachment 00034.jpg

bob

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I should have read more its a BGH type 9, nice site.

linky

Fatboy Dave

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
The MX5 and Mazda 6 make RWD Duratec boxes available (six speed is also available).

Duratecs have been fitted to Mondeos since 2001 now so prices are timbling if you know where to look. It was the same with the Zetec though, it took nearly ten years for the Zetec to be a viable 'pocket money' donor engine; the Duratec s a natural progression but with the added blow that as noted there is no 'cheap' box like the type 9 that bolts straight on.

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

coozer

posted on 31/1/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec engines are all alloy, very light, have a big valve head on them and breath a lot better than a zetec (or anything else before that) They have a longer stroke and all this helps remissions in the Ford car.

A gearbox from an MX5 will fit OK so cheap forward for a 6 speed gearbox

The Duratec will take over the zetec the same way it took over the Pinto once there is plenty about and they get cheap enough. An exhaust, throttle body's and cams should see the engine go near 300bhp.

Currently there's a series about installing one into an old RWD Ford in ClassicFord.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

flak monkey

posted on 31/1/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I would go for duratec, coozers listed all the important differences. they are a lot lighter than a 2 litre zetec.

Plus you can bolt on a throttle body kit and get 240bhp without needing to make any internal mods.

if I had had the money, I would have fitted a duratec from the start!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

lsdweb

posted on 31/1/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Try looking at Burton Power's summary of both engines -

Duratec

Zetec

This dispels some of the myths!

Westfield World have an intersesting comparison page.

I've been looking at this very thing and decided on a Zetec, based on cost. But, I'm having serious doubts all the time!

Wyn

thepest

posted on 31/1/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys you're getting me drooling over these engines.

Fitting into a locost seems like and easy job, but I've been having another thought.
How about fitting one into my MR2? I was thinking of using it as a replacement of my 3s-GE engine.
Being a FWD setup since it is mid engine. Anyone done anything similar?
If I were to spend money on a 3S-GTE, this does seem like a bette alternative.
Does anyone know if any of the Ford FWD gearboxes come with LSD?

twybrow

posted on 31/1/08 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Deffo Duratec for me. More modern, more efficient, lighter. Downsides - less cheap parts, more mods needed to fit RWD (water rail, alternator etc), awkward exhaust.

They have come in price a stack load in recent months. Check out this one on ebay...

onzarob

posted on 31/1/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

A gearbox from an MX5 will fit OK so cheap forward for a 6 speed gearbox

Thats a great bit of news, MX5 gearbox go for about £70 on ebay

I suppose a prop to a sierra diff would be the easiest solution?

Mole

posted on 31/1/08 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a zetec and I don't regret the choice given my circumstances but if I had the money it would be the Duratec.
muzchap

posted on 31/1/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Bolting on Throttle Bodies gives 240hp!

That is complete BOL**X!!!

I'll challenge you now to show me a Duratec (standard) making 240hp with Throttle Bodies!

My Honda S2000 engine makes only slightly more than that with millions of pounds worth of development by Honda!

It's this kind of USELESS information that causes people to become dissapointed.

A stock Duratec on TB's - is likely to make anywhere between 150-185hp - and you'd have to be fkin lucky to get it up there. If you spent money on Roller Throttle Bodies and some internal work - you can make 200hp ish

Honestly - 240hp!

I suppose my Honda S2000 with some bike carbs will make 500hp by that logic!

**RANT OVER**

ZETEC
+ cheap, reliable, parts easily available
- heavy (ish)

DURATEC
+ Light, tuning potential
- expensive, expensive to tune, expensive ancilieries

Also - depends on which side you want the ZORST

Zetec = passenger
Duratec = driver

P.S - I was under the impression that only 'new' MX5 gearboxes fit? Not the old ones - unlikely to get a new MX5 gearbox for £70!

[Edited on 31/1/08 by muzchap]

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

lsdweb

posted on 31/1/08 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Quoting Burton Power -

'What this means to us is it doesn’t take much to tune the Duratec to around 200bhp, at which point, you need to switch the rods and pistons to more reliable components. '

[Edited on 31/1/08 by lsdweb]

lsdweb

posted on 31/1/08 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
And Shawspeed - 230BHP with ECU, TB's, cams etc....

flak monkey

posted on 31/1/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
My bad, 190bhp with no internal mods. Then if you want 225bhp its a new cams job.

http://www.webcon.co.uk/alpha/AlphaPlusKits.htm

K3220JR Gold Kit - Ford Duratec 2.0 (OE T/Body) - 220BHP £895.00

http://www.webcon.co.uk/alpha/Duratec%20JR%20Flyer%20Ver1.pdf

David

[Edited on 31/1/08 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

keith2lp

posted on 31/1/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec

I am just coming to the end of a Duratec install upgrading from Pinto and to be honest it is no more difficult than putting in a Pinto/Zetec or Bike Engine.

Yes the costs can be expensive but it depends on how far you want to go with making your own parts etc. A water rail is not required (look at westfields installation) the alternator is no more difficult to do than a Zetec just use a small denso one and make some mounts and use a belt from a Mazda 3 Sport.

The oil filter does need a new outlet to turn it thru 90 degrees but on a new build you could make the chassis to suit the original. I think the original sump could be baffled if required.

The exhaust is no more of a problem than any other engine, I have managed to rework my Pinto one to suit a new flange.

The clutch need to be hydraulic and this costs about £120 to do and a new bell housing will be required if you use a type 9 box.

The induction side can be T/B or a manifold for twin webers is avaliable for about £80.

I think my total cost after selling the pinto parts will be about £1800 but I will have a lightweight package giving 185-200bhp from a standard engine that will last the life of the car.

The only down side is that it is quite a tall engine (about 25mm less than a Pinto) but if you have a pinto in the first place that wont be a problem.

I will post some photo's later.

[Edited on 31/1/08 by keith2lp]

zetec

posted on 31/1/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of swapping to a Duratec but after talking to Dunnels it looked a better move to go for cams for the Zetec , and get a little more power than a standard Duratec running like for like on TBs.

The Duratec would be a nice choice but do your sums first and take into account gearbox etc.

I've just stripped two zetecs, one with 122K and the other with 70K miles and both were still like new inside...

Don't get too hung up on peak power as things like gear ratios and torque will made the big differences.

[Edited on 31/1/08 by zetec]

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

coozer

posted on 31/1/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it - who says they are expensive engines??

Bargain:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DURATEC-2-0_W0QQitemZ320213062172QQihZ011QQcategoryZ21654QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.