Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy RR
noc231073

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest I have went trough all this already ..... I was told I couldn't race or hillclimb my car also... If you read that release from the MSA properly those regs are for tin tops ... I have since competed in hillclimbs and have raced and logbooked my car with no issues about the cage whatsoever . In fact you don't even need a front cage all you need is the rear rollover cage ....to be legal for most racing
So to be honest there a lot of people on here you like to wee you off with comments like that and they mainly come from guys with no racing experience
I have over 10 years experience in motorsport from stage rally to hillclimbs and racing and have a far knowledge of what expected by a scruiteener it's just not an issue at all with my car

danny keenan

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that nick iv been saying this all along.

at least some one knows the score instead of internet no it alls.iv been racing for 3 years in many different races and have never had any trobles.

thanks danny

Minicooper

posted on 28/2/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Im sorry to dig up an old subject, and I can hear you all groaning - but are MK still supplying a rollcage that doesnt meet MSA standards?

What exactly is wrong with it? In what way does it not meet MSA standards?

Cheers
David

noc231073

posted on 28/2/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair I was told on here I wouldn't be able to race or hillclimb my car by certain people which is always nice to hear when you just spent 10 k plus on a car to race ..
Mk told me I wouldn't have any issues with the cage... And to be honest I hadn't any issues it's been trough scrutiny over 6 times now no problem
Danny I don't talk bull ... I talk facts and there the facts ... And if it was an issue Danny would have been the first to know ...

loggyboy

posted on 28/2/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
What exactly is wrong with it? In what way does it not meet MSA standards?

Cheers
David

It has 2 bends in the front roll bar, it should only have 1. It also has its mouting point behind the furthest forward point of the roll bar. The regs mention nothing about tintops, only that if you have more than 1 bend, you can use a reinforcement bar to comply.

What seems strange to me is its such a simple fix, just bring the bar straight up from the floor, and then have one bend! The cage doesnt need to follow the line of the skuttle/dash so closely. I can only assume MK dont want to leave themselves open to having to retrospectively change all the cages they have sold as MSA compliant. However The rule changes have only been recently reinforced to confirm this so if it was me, I'd just tweek the new cages!

As is shown in the link I posted (msa news) these are new changes/reinforcements of the regs (in red) and have only applied for 2012, so anyone who has been racing for the past few seasons with no problems, may find that scrutineers that werent previously aware of it are now. I understand that MKs (and MNRs) have had the cages refused at some events (going by what the infamous matt/procomp has stated he has seen).

[Edited on 28/2/12 by loggyboy]

austin man

posted on 28/2/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
This type of car only requires a rear hoop as Noc and others have said they have all got their log books no problems. The internet and forums are good for information however they can also be a pain in the ass when people start to apply their own interpretation of the rules. I would also believe that there are more than one scrutineer who have passed the MK Roll cage.

Build your car mate drive it like you stole it and enjoy

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Rogthebandit

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of curiosity, but does anyone know what wall thickness the cages are made from?
danny keenan

posted on 28/2/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
they are 2.5mm wall thickness

thanks

Neville Jones

posted on 29/2/12 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
And if you learnt to read, then you would know that the rulebook is like the MOT, if fitted must comply.

Without the front section of the cage, then the single roll hoop would be sufficient and pass. If you are going to fit the rest of the cage, then it has to comply with MSA/FIA regs. IE single bend in front tube.

In getting compliance with log books, you are seeing the difference between club level and the interpretations of others at a different level.

Cheers,
Nev.

procomp

posted on 29/2/12 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I see my name was dragged into this post. Not that i really give a poo about what bullshit Mk come out with, But i wonder why the works car off Ian Kempson had to have the roll cage changed by Danny to continue racing.

Have a look MK Indy-R Race or Trackday car | eBay.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.