Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Blacktop Megasquirt Settings Check Pls
dave_424

posted on 29/3/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you go to advanced and then output test mode, you can set the spark outputs to fire. Does this fire both spark A and B?

Dave

GreenHornet

posted on 29/3/13 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using Tunerstudio lite so not the full fat edition. I would imagine that's an error too lol
GreenHornet

posted on 5/4/13 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
OK so I purchased a new BIP373 coil driver and soldered that into Q16 for Spark A and booyaa Job Done. All working fine.

Thanks for everyones help, I will now try an dget her idling smoothly and go from there. I have dampened the MAP signal so I can use Speed Density Mapping. I hope this works.....lol

dave_424

posted on 5/4/13 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations, I just started up my zx9 engine today with megasquirt doing the ignition and using the carbs for fuel.

I too was getting your problem with when trying to rev the engine I was getting random 0 RPM instances, this was indeed the ECU looking sync because of incorrect VR sensor wiring.

Is there any reason why you are using Speed density rather than Alpha-N?

Dave

GreenHornet

posted on 6/4/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have done some reading in the subject and a lot of people say to use alphaN with ITBs due to the irratic MAP signal. However Speed Density is the best way to tune. I have dampened my signal and tuned out the pulses from the ITBs so the variation in signal is no more than 3kpa or less. If I have to change over to AlphaN I will use blended maps like some others have done.

Anyhow onto whats happening at the moment, I am at a stage where I am just tuning for idle as I have had a few issues no engine related which have held me back. I am at a minimum idle kpa of 47 which is too high as far as I am aware. S I believe I need to richer the reqfuel up so I can lower the ve as it is currently sitting at 55-60 at idle.

Congrats on getting yours going!!!!

BaileyPerformance

posted on 7/4/13 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GreenHornet
I have done some reading in the subject and a lot of people say to use alphaN with ITBs due to the irratic MAP signal. However Speed Density is the best way to tune. I have dampened my signal and tuned out the pulses from the ITBs so the variation in signal is no more than 3kpa or less. If I have to change over to AlphaN I will use blended maps like some others have done.

Anyhow onto whats happening at the moment, I am at a stage where I am just tuning for idle as I have had a few issues no engine related which have held me back. I am at a minimum idle kpa of 47 which is too high as far as I am aware. S I believe I need to richer the reqfuel up so I can lower the ve as it is currently sitting at 55-60 at idle.

Congrats on getting yours going!!!!

MAP (speed density) in NOT the best way to tune ITBs, you will not have enough MAP resolution to get it tuned correctly.

Use alpha N or put and air box on it and use a MAF (which IS the best way to tune any engine ;-)

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GreenHornet

posted on 7/4/13 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Guess I'm still on a huge learning curve lol.

Thanks for the heads up. I will get going on it ASAP.

With AplhaN, every time you balance the throttle bodies you have to recalibrate the ve table don't you? Is there a process to follow from the get go or is it suck it and see, backwards and forwards until she runs ok and then set to and tune.

emwmarine

posted on 7/4/13 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be setting my zetec up on megasquirt in a few weeks (months), is there an idiots guide for a process to go through??

Building a Dax Rush.

dave_424

posted on 7/4/13 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Go over to www.youtube.com/extraefi the guy over there is great at explaining things, he goes through every option that tuner studio offers, what they do, and what values/settings should be in each option for various engine setups. He also goes through a series of videos that include the setting and values for the first start of your engine etc. very useful information.

@GreenHornet - You should only have to balance your throttle bodies once...

GreenHornet

posted on 7/4/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
The you tube vids are very informative and worth subscribing too.

Another argument is whats best, tuner studio or mega tune? Obviously this is for MS1 extra that I'm running. What's everyone's preference?

dave_424

posted on 7/4/13 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that Megatune has not become obsolete and now TunerStudio has become the standard for tuning Megasquirt ECU's. I'm pretty sure that I read that there was no longer going to be updates for Megatune.

EDIT: On the DIYautotune website it says "Please note: MegaTune is obsolete and no longer supported. TunerStudio must be used for all MS2/Extra revisions greater than 3.1.0 and all variants of MS3." which suggests that you need to use TunerStudio if you are running the extra code

[Edited on 7/4/13 by dave_424]

emwmarine

posted on 7/4/13 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
Go over to www.youtube.com/extraefi the guy over there is great at explaining things, he goes through every option that tuner studio offers, what they do, and what values/settings should be in each option for various engine setups. He also goes through a series of videos that include the setting and values for the first start of your engine etc. very useful information.

@GreenHornet - You should only have to balance your throttle bodies once...

Thanks

Building a Dax Rush.

GreenHornet

posted on 8/4/13 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
OK, so tonight I changed the settings from speed density to alphaN. I have recalibrated the tps and got a reading of 51 closed and 209 wot. So I have adjusted the x axis numbers from 45 to 210 with a large ports of the axis devoted to less than 60% throttle opening as this is where most of the daily driving and cruising will occur. Does this seem reasonable?

I have looked through a lot of the extra edi videos again, (I'm a subscriber to his channel) but I can't see anything on alphaN tuning. S where do I start?

What VE numbers am I likely to see? What ideal VE numbers should I be aiming for?

One more final question, I have I putted my engines details for the reqfuel and get 16.6 in the top box. However it feels like she needs more fuel as she dies when I touch the throttle any more than feathering. Unfortunately she smells rich so I can't understand what to do. Years of messing with carbs and now I'm buggered with this modern trickery lol.

Any help always greatly appreciated.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.