Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mac1 ZR R1 Project
CosKev3

posted on 23/5/14 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Picked up a manifold off 'macboycie' off here for a good price,cheers
Due to me mounting the engine where I thought best I was thinking I would need to modify the manifold quite a lot,but was well pleased when tried it on the car to find just the outlet angle needed modifying
Clears the small angled chassis brace which was a bonus too as I feared it would get in the way,as this chassis was for a Zetec.

Picked up a Westfield silencer at Stoneleigh for a real bargain price of £25 off 'CRAIGR' on here,thanks
Had to shorten the inlet pipe,and cut the down the removable tailpipe that these have as standard and welded it on instead.
Pretty pleased with it,fingers crossed it sounds ok too
Welded two mounting points on,bolted up through the outer chassis rail,using a nut welded onto the top of the chassis.

When I went to fit the tank I was disappointed to find one of the mounting brackets was welded 10mm to far inwards,so got my m8 to weld on a piece of 10mm alloy to save using washers or the like to space it out:

sam919

posted on 25/5/14 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see a proper build thread rather than just sticking carbon sheet all over things , nice work so far keep it up!.
CosKev3

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sam919
Good to see a proper build thread rather than just sticking carbon sheet all over things , nice work so far keep it up!.

thanks

Really enjoying the build.

CosKev3

posted on 10/7/14 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Done some more
I wasn't happy with the amount of bump steer I could see when pressing the front of chassis down,you could see the front wheels moving to toe out quite alot.
After a bit of reading on here rack height seemed to be a problem,so decided to chop the rack mounts and lower my rack to get the track rods running straighter with wishbones,as they were sloping down from mounting points to hubs.
Also the amount of twist on the lower column connection looked wrong imo,so altered the angle of rack while mounts were off.
Before:

After:

Doesn't look much different in pics,but rack has been lowered circa 25mm.Much happier now

Angle on the coupling before:

After:

Another problem I found was with the column support,the Mac1 fitted piece of tube is crap imo,due to the run out on the column the bush was getting tight in certain places.
Also I wanted to use an adjustable column,this would not work with the Mac1 piece of tube idea as it does not allow movement up or down of the column.The MK design is much better,as it uses the full Sierra bush/housing which allows the movement of column in run out and the up and down of an adjustable column.
After research on here I decided to replace it with a bearing set-up

So out with the grinder and chopped off this:

Replaced with this:

Took a bit of fettling,had to cut the brackets,re-angle and weld up to get the correct angle for column.
But well worth the effort!
Can now spin the steering wheel with the column fully raised or lowered and it justs spins freely and keeps spinning around when you loose go of it

Picked up some bargains off the Westfield forum,pair of padded race seats with runners,and a Aero screen,wrong colour I know but for £100+postage I can't moan!

Rolled it out to do some sunbathing today

Rosco86

posted on 1/1/15 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good!
maccmike

posted on 1/1/15 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
looks great
Digimon

posted on 2/1/15 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
The car is looks really good, nice work with the steering rack
OliilO

posted on 5/4/15 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Did you buy the flared side panels, or did you chop up some non-flared ones?
CosKev3

posted on 6/4/15 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
Did you buy the flared side panels, or did you chop up some non-flared ones?

Cut the fronts off, then swapped the pieces over from one side to the other so you end up with the wide fibreglass at the top, then rivetted some 2mm alloy to the bottom edges to fix to bottom chassis rails.

kingster996

posted on 29/4/15 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Spotted some of your gallery pics mate - it's looking sweeeeet!

You got it on the road yet?

Mine should be soon i hope - I have my IVA booked in for 20th May and still finishing some bits off!

[Edited on 29/4/15 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

CosKev3

posted on 29/4/15 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Chris,well pleased with the finish of wrap and the exhaust

Yours is looking very nice B)

kj

posted on 30/4/15 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck Chris, lets know how you get on.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.