New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F*****G Windows updates
jeffw

posted on 27/8/14 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Yeap....expensive stuff this Windows. I spend £250 per year for multiple licenses for every Server OS & Server product MS make, plus 10 Win8.1 seats and 10 Office 365 seats.

MSDN subscriber?

Actual MS Partner benefits....but same sort of thing.

britishtrident

posted on 27/8/14 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
What really annoys me is the cost of MS Word and Excel, for 99 percent of Word users and 95 percent of Excel users there has been no real improvement in the product since the mid 1990's if anything they are more difficult to use. The problem is MS Office is defacto industry standard and while Libre Office and Open Office will work with MS file formats they make ordinary non-techie a bit apprehensive.

Internet Explorer I haven't used for over 16years on doing a Windows install my first action on getting web connected is download Chrome, Firefox and Thunderbird, initially this was because of security concerns these days it is more because like most current MS products the user interface is horroble.

With Linux I notice the rate of development has to a large extent stalled as a lot of the developers are now into Android apps.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Paul Turner

posted on 27/8/14 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I use Libre Office instead of MS office and Thunderbird instead of MS Outlook on all my computers now in both Windows and Linux. Other than the outdated look of Libre Office everything appears to integrate beautifully and be cross compatible with one small exception.

Files saved in MS Office as .DOCX or .XLSX files with password protection will not open in Libre Office, OK they do open but its a load of gobbledygook. If you save them as .DOC or .XLS with password protection they open fine and save perfectly.

Bit surprising when DOCX and XLSX files are supposed to be more universally compatible.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.