Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Global warming con.
wilkingj

posted on 25/1/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
In my lieftime the worlds population has gone from about 4.5bn to 6Bn.
Is anyone counting all the CO2 these extra people are breathing out, and how much less Rain forest is there is to cope with it.

We need a GOOD world war to cull a few of these exponentially reproductive mammals

I believe the Planet is fighting back, and will kill the Humans off by warming it self up, melting the ice, and drowning the little buggers.

This is nothing to say what the Worlds best mate the Sun is doing to help its old friend. It too is warming up as it comes to the end of its life, and helping to warm the planet.

Who said the Earth was the 3rd rock from the Sun.. Its ALIVE, and fighting back to kill off the polluters and tossers that are pillaging its wealth of minerals and trees.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macnab

posted on 25/1/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
WW3, the answer to all our problems

a nuclear winter will soon have that climate under control...

trogdor

posted on 25/1/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
if we atcually farmed and used the land properly and efficently then apparently this planets could easily suport 60billion, i am not too convinced of this as we can't even support 6billion people now.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/1/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I believe the Planet is fighting back, and will kill the Humans off by warming it self up, melting the ice, and drowning the little buggers.

Unfortunatley for the doom merchants predicting rising sea levels due to polar ice melting, the evidence suggests it's falling in many areas!

http://www.iceagenow.com/Arctic_Sea_Level_Falling.htm

macnab

posted on 25/1/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
it was once said that adding enough iron to the southern ocean would start an ice age, but we now know thats very unlikely
quote:

That’s funny cause it was also suggested that doing that would feed algae to produce super blooms in the ocean which would reduce co2 and increase the oxygen...pah scientists

I just remember Focus running articles claiming that we were heading into an new ice age due to global dimming and next having one on how we were going to be all drowned due to global warming!!! Give me a break.

wilkingj

posted on 25/1/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobylav
quote:
I belive that more CO2 is relesed from cows and farm animals farting than all the modes of transport put together.
Agriv8

True a cow produces more "Greenhouse Gas" in a year than an average 3 series BMW.

Kill all the cows and eat lots of steak . . . . theres your answer

Agriv8

I just went down the fields and shot 20 cows so i could go out and buy a BMW and claim I was doing "my bit" for the Global Warming thing.

I never thought to Eat the cows as well...
Silly Me

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macnab

posted on 25/1/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
oh well done now the rotting corpses will increase the methane levels...now you've done it

[Edited on 25/1/07 by macnab]

trogdor

posted on 25/1/07 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
yeah its now been realised by scientists, that while the algae would drawdown CO2 it would also result in a rise in zooplankton eating the algae and bacteria breaking down all the dead matter etc, all these respire CO2 so the CO2 would come straight back out again, well 95% would anyway

only 1% of the CO2 that enters the oceans is buried in the sediments, this is the only sink for CO2.

there is a company on the web somewhere i beleive touting this method as a "green" way to reduce CO2 by fitting appartus to ships that will add iron to the ocean,

absolute crap as u have to be in certain areas of the ocean to start with and it doesn't work!

[Edited on 25/1/07 by trogdor]

macnab

posted on 25/1/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
there is a company on the web somewhere i beleive touting this method as a "green" way to reduce CO2 by fitting appartus to ships that will add iron to the ocean
quote:

hmm probably find the company is actually a waste disposal one dealing in old ferrous materials...and a lot of the 'iron' will strangely glow in the dark

MikeR

posted on 25/1/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting debate & one i suspect will run and run.

Some of my thoughts.

The plant is a living organism & we are a parasite. We take lots and give little in return.

Destroying the rainforrest - isn't that the lungs of the plant?

Trees do absorb CO2 when they grow but, when they die / cut down they get burnt (and release the CO2) or rot (and ... release the CO2). the best thing to do with them is to bury them in the mines and let them turn into coal over a few thousand years.

Is the planet changing - no one can say for sure, but i think its pretty obvious it is changing as its got all these parasites doing things to it.

What should we do? Well we can be ignorant and assume the planet will magically be ok, or we can realise we're slowly destroying it (i'm not saying global warming, i'm saying in general but i think global warming is probably happening) and do things to reduce our impact.

I love the idea that its not up to one country to try and fix or its not mans problem cause of volcano's. Cool, well lets just blame volcanos or someone else. If we start doing something we'll start to make an impact and maybe buy some more time - time that might be essential to find a way to stop volcanos errupting or what ever and .... save the planet.

Think its interesting people are talking about the british economy as well - i think there is a lot wrong with this country & we've only got ourselves / predecessors to blame. The biggest issue is the lack of willingness to change - we're far too comfy. Some Finnish friends are amazed how hard we DON'T work in this country and how EASY it is.

macnab

posted on 25/1/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
As I still remember ‘Smith’ from the Matrix saying -

‘I’d like to share with you a revelation I’ve had, it came to me when I was trying to classify your species. You see most creatures reach equilibrium with their surrounding but you do not, you multiply and multiply until all the resources are used up and then you move onto the next habitat.

There is another creature that behave this way it, can you guess what it is?

A virus…you’re a disease of this planet and we are the cure.’

lovely.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/1/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I always assumed global warming was a load of old tosh, but as soon as I realised that Mr Bush was saying the same thing, that made me realise the Green brigade must be correct

smart51

posted on 25/1/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
I realised that Mr Bush was saying the same thing, that made me realise the Green brigade must be correct

Ooo, that's so hurtful.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/1/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
...and a joke

smart51

posted on 25/1/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
...and a joke

I know, but being compared to Bush, that's one big insult

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/1/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I thought you meant, just wasn't sure

robertst

posted on 25/1/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
great timing! i just happen to have a class on climatic change and global warming this semester, and from reading this thread, i am now completely conviced my professor is full of S***. not only that, i always thought what you guys have written here.
there has to be a cyclical tendency to climate conditions. bad thing is these cycles probably last like 1000 years and for the better or worse, we are probably in a warming up cycle which doesn't really mean it has been provoked by man, pigs effluent, or volcano farts.

which reminds me of a table i was given yesterday in class, where it compared the CO2 emissions of a plane with that of pig effluent! I mean how daft can that be? the list of most polluting to least polluting was something like:
volcanoes, planes, pig effluent, cars, mopeds...

another thing which is really an urban myth is the ozone hole. most people think theres actually no ozone in the south pole or simply a hole in that zone, it actually is just a thinning of the ozone layer.

so, how can we predict whats going to happen to global temperatures in 100 years if we cant even properly predict tomorrow's weather?!

a counter-point to this might be the example of cherry trees in New York that have already blossomed (instead of in may) and the snow line in the alps is increasing each year (something like 100m every year), i.e. there is less and less snow precipitation every year...

i say "what me worry?", scientists are just throwing cards at a table anyway basing themselves on unreliable information.

Tom

Paul (Notts)

posted on 25/1/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
"If you accept the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) consensus view of climate science, humankind is involved in an unprecedented and highly risky experiment with the only ecosphere it has, and climate sceptics are simply vandals laying a tree trunk across the train tracks which society must traverse to escape its fiery grave"

please have a read and do some research before saying climate change is not a problem.

My little girl is only 2 1/2 years old and she will inherit the mess we have made.

[Edited on 25/1/07 by Paul (Notts)]

Aboardman

posted on 25/1/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
If you accept the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) consensus view of climate science, humankind is involved in an unprecedented and highly risky experiment with the only ecosphere it has, and climate sceptics are simply vandals laying a tree trunk across the train tracks which society must traverse to escape its fiery grave

please have a read and do some research before saying climate change is not a problem.

My little girl is only 2 1/2 years old and she will inherit the mess we have made.

and you drive a v8
are you going to swap it for a bike engine.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 25/1/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I drive a small car the V8 does not run and the way the build is going it will be on the road in 2050.!!

Fair point but the V8 is only going to get ocassional use.. the majority of my journies will be in a much more economical but less fun car.

Paul

MikeR

posted on 25/1/07 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
"If you accept the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) consensus view of climate science, humankind is involved in an unprecedented and highly risky experiment with the only ecosphere it has, and climate sceptics are simply vandals laying a tree trunk across the train tracks which society must traverse to escape its fiery grave"

[Edited on 25/1/07 by Paul (Notts)]

here here - i tried to put a similar view (much less eloquently), i also think the problem is wider, we need to look at society and its view of OUR ONLY planet.

novacaine

posted on 25/1/07 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
seems strange to me that one or two scientist have proposed the idea of global warming to the government who have then (probaly) perswaded some other scientists to agree. then Mr Blair tells us the only way to avoid the ultimate end of the world in a few years that would be brought around by gloabal warming is to pay more tax.... funny that

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Rob Palin

posted on 25/1/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that there are some valid concerns about the measurement methods and ultimate accuracy of changes in global average temperature over geological timescales. However it does seem significant to me that the people deeply involved in researching climate change are very serious about what they do and are the general consensus is that something is happening and we need to be cautious in case we are playing an instrumental role in buggering up the planet (technical term, that).

To say that it is a conspiracy is, i feel, ludicrous. Spend some time looking at the results of the research done into the subject done by the various international organisations and scientific institutions involved and you'll see there is a lot of supporting evidence. Better that than believing the sound-bites you see on the news, which are always 'spun' in one direction or another.

JoelP

posted on 25/1/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
just a thought on cows...

Any co2 they release must come from the food they eat, and the carbon in that came from the atmosphere, so over all, cows have no net effect on atmospheric co2. Much the same way that trees have no effect, as in the long run they will rot or burn. Very little would actually get into a 'perminant' store like coal etc.

I think what people must accept is that we are on a knife edge, if the seas warm up then they will hold less dissolved co2, which would lead to more 'warming' etc. Or the same in reverse, if it gets very cold then the ice would reflect heat back to space and keep us cold. These are the extremes, but lesser effects could still be unfortunate.

I cant understand how people think man has no effect on the environment? Have you seen how many people are out there? We are like a plague of locusts stripping a field.

MikeR

posted on 26/1/07 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
slightly simplistic view ....... i've had flowers trying to grow in the the middle / end Dec & start Jan.

That aint normal!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.