Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade oil, full fat or semi skimmed?
kurt

posted on 11/3/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade oil, full fat or semi skimmed?

Self explanatory really, which do I use fully synthetic or semi synthetic? (oil not milk) Also what is the difference? The engine is a 1998 RRW.
frodo_monkey

posted on 11/3/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I use good quality (Millers Motorsport ZSS) semi-synth in mine and have had no problems - but then again mine is a pure race car and gets frequent changes.

If you're willing to pay for fully-synth it certainly won't hurt it, but I figure use whatever you like so long as it is designed for wet clutches and you change it regularly!

One other point I have noticed (on my mates Hornet with TL1000 Suzuki lump) is that once an engine/clutch has been running on one type, stick to it - he was running on semi-synth for years with no probs then went fully-synth resulting in a slipping clutch...

Each to their own, I say!

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

dean100yz

posted on 11/3/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same engine

Always run on semi and change more frequent. I do same on mx and road bikes.

You wont get any clutch slip probs and its around 2/3rd the cost

Andy B

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
We run all our cabed blade engines on 10w40 semi and have no problems on the odd occasion we have tried fully synth we have experienced clutch slip and data traces have highlighted lower oil pressures so we stick with the semi. Castrol GPS and maxima synthetic blend are our chosen oils for this engine
regards
Andy

Coose

posted on 11/3/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frodo_monkey
One other point I have noticed (on my mates Hornet with TL1000 Suzuki lump) is that once an engine/clutch has been running on one type, stick to it - he was running on semi-synth for years with no probs then went fully-synth resulting in a slipping clutch...

Each to their own, I say!

TLs are renowned for clutch slip with fully-synthetic.

Spin 'er off Well...

gixermark

posted on 12/3/09 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I ran one of andy's blade engines last year which was 100% reliable, and we ran on castrol GPS 10W40 semi

all my mates who race bike use the same oil, and have done for years - no clutch or engine issues at all...

slimtater

posted on 13/4/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I normally topped mine up with Castrol Power 1 GPS 10/40w (semi) but when I changed the oil recently, used Castrol Power 1 Racing 10/40w (fully).
Within about 100 miles, I started to get clutch slip. Not sure if this was a coincidence or down to the oil.
Question is, will a simple change back to semi resolve it or would it make sense to change the clutch first ie any lasting damage?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.