Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: locost garage door security help needed
thunderace

posted on 7/7/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
locost garage door security help needed

the police were at my door to tell me last night there was someone trying to brake into the garages ,i have an alarm and hasps but i parked my van against the door ,is there a locost way of keeping them from opening it they are bending the corners up i think to get in there all doubles up and over ones in my street ,anyone any good advice i was up all night out looking to see if anyone was about.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/7/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Parking the van against the door seems a very locost way !

Weld or bolt some steel strengtheners to the inside so they cant bend the corners up !

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

andyharding

posted on 7/7/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
To bend the corners they need to get something hooked under. Bolt 1" angle iron around the frame and floor so there is no gap. Paint to match. Can also be used the secure extra locking points. Strengthen back of door. Install PIR with security light and buzzer (doorbell) inside.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

nib1980

posted on 7/7/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Electrify the door. Job done
omega0684

posted on 7/7/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980

errr is that legal?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hurdsey

posted on 7/7/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
If there is a gap at the bottom of the door and they can get fingers in to pull the door corner out, why not get a couple of lengths of carpet gripper and fix em to the bottom of the door, they cant see em and when they push there little fingers in to grip the door, they'll pull em back sharpish, they wont be back for a while.

[Edited on 7/7/09 by Hurdsey]

gavin174

posted on 7/7/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
gripper sounds like a good idea....

but i think if you did hurt someone one of two things will happen

1 they will sue you

2 they will go and get a can of petrol and a match..

the worst thing is the more you armour the garage the more risk of them getting frustrated and torching it.....

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

RickRick

posted on 7/7/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
NICE i might go do that!

i've got some locks, which are fitted at each corner, and send a shoot bolt though the frame of the door and into a sleve drilled and hammered into the concrete, i think there desiged to fit on the outside of the door, but that seemed silly to me, so they fit inside to a plate attached to the frame. all you can see of mine is a 10mm hole at each side for the key

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-HIGH-SECURITY-GARAGE-DOOR-DEAD-LOCKS-PARTS-SPARES_W0QQitemZ380115844342QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Door_Accessories_LE?h ash=item5880ab7cf6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/7/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
NICE i might go do that!

i've got some locks, which are fitted at each corner, and send a shoot bolt though the frame of the door and into a sleve drilled and hammered into the concrete, i think there desiged to fit on the outside of the door, but that seemed silly to me, so they fit inside to a plate attached to the frame. all you can see of mine is a 10mm hole at each side for the key

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-HIGH-SECURITY-GARAGE-DOOR-DEAD-LOCKS-PARTS-SPARES_W0QQitemZ380115844342QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Door_Accessories_LE?h ash=item5880ab7cf6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200

I fitted them, and they lasted all of 5 minutes when a group of local scroates charged my door. The problem with up and over doors is they bend, so much that they rip out when charged by a few big lads.

I lost 3 motorbikes that way

I;m not saying dont fit them, but dont be over confident in their abilities to protect your garage.

graememk

posted on 7/7/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
could you not weld or screw a metel or wood frame inside the door and put a couple of bolts on the corners ?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 8/7/09 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980

errr is that legal?

Nope! But neither is pilfing some poor blokes stuff either!

Fry the lot of 'em I say

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

DarrenW

posted on 8/7/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I assume you only have the front door as an entry point. If you had a service door you could bolt it up from inside, however service door then becomes point of least resistance.

Van in front sounds good, except it wont always be there. Welding / rivetting some extra bracing inside seems to be sensible.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 23/6/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HELENA2
We got two really good garage security devices from www.ashleysonline.co.uk

They had a Garage Door Defender that goes on the floor and they also had a Garage Door Security Bolts that shoot through the side of the door and into the frame for added security. We got both and never had any problems since.

Here is the link -

Hope it helps

Shouldn't think so, your 4 YEARS late!!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

DH2

posted on 23/6/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Shouldn't think so, your 4 YEARS late!!

You can never be 4 years late with inappropriate advertising... surely...?

DH2

chrisni1986

posted on 3/7/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
this happened to a guy local to me, bent the bottom of the door and got it to steal his subaru.. he welded 2 pieces of 1" box section to the bottom corners of the door to stop it being bent as easily, its like anything though it depepnds how determined they are to get in and the amount of time they have to do so, the van idea is good but will your van always be there to block the door? id possibly look at some way of securing the door at the two bottom corners, maybe the likes of 2 'L' shaped brackets that attach to the ground and door some how to prevent the door being moved

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.