Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding exhaust to flange
matt_gsxr

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Welding exhaust to flange

hi there,

Any tips on how to weld exhaust pipes (1.6mm stainless tube) to a 12mm stainless flange? Its for a turbo.

I can join the tube together alright (a bit ugly but penetrations seems okay), but not sure how I should deal with the thick flange.

Welder is a clarke 110e, and I've got 0.8mm stainless wire and Halfords disposable Argon.

I am new to welding, so please be gentle.

Thanks,

Matt

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Tack it and get someone to TIG it, results will be much better

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ben,

Do you mean it will end up prettier, or will it be functionally superior.

I don't mind a bit of grinding to tidy it up.

It seems a bit defeatist

Matt

RazMan

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would do as Ben suggested. I have MIG'd manifolds before and now I always find someone to TIG them for me. The whole job will be stronger, less likely to warp or crack and look 10 times better.

Try and make a welding template too - thick as you like to prevent warping.

[Edited on 29-12-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
As per Raz, it'll be a much better job all round.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mark chandler

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Current at maximum and work from the thick stuff to the thin, 110 amps is not very much power so go slowly!

Also work out you assembly, make sure that you do not end up with impossible welds by starting at the wrong point

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like I should have posted this question before I started MIGing it.

Never mind.

Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone good at TIG in the Oxfordshire area? Don't mind going a bit further. I would want to pay for the work, but would prefer "while you wait" as I am impatient.

Matt

snapper

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Would worth bolting the flange flat to stop distortion, won't seal if the flange warps due to welding heat

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/12/10 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding the warping of the flange.

I was planning on getting it machined flat after it was all welded up, that was why I went with 12mm to give a bit spare.

It is a very simple little manifold, 5 joints and then the merge and flange.

Anyway, here is a photo.

The flange welds on to the point where the 4 pipes all come together. The lengths are not equal, but neither is the manifold that Big-CC sell for the gsxr1000, so I am not too worried about that and they are similar in length (except 1 and 4).

The good thing is that there are not many welds and its all pretty open. Lots of grinding to do within the collector area too, but it keeps me out of the house!

Matt

[Edited on 30/12/10 by matt_gsxr]

ashg

posted on 30/12/10 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Max setting, wire feed not too high. Focus the weld on the flange and gently touch in the pipe. It's tricky with the MIG not impossible. The biggest challenge is.that you are welding 12mm to 1.6mm nothing else. It's much easier with a tig as you have more time, if you know someone with a tig it would be worth tacking it up and having a nice job made of it.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

James

posted on 30/12/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Would worth bolting the flange flat to stop distortion, won't seal if the flange warps due to welding heat

I had that problem.

I had 4 individual small flanges and they warped.

I ended up making another single four hole flange and welding mine to that one... double flange!

Basically a total pigs ear and it's one of the job 'on the list'. Well, it was till my SS manifold and silencer got nicked!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

matt_gsxr

posted on 31/12/10 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
That sounds like a pain.

Mine is simpler it is a bike engine, so separate flanges for each exhaust port. These flanges are not actually welded to the pipes.

The problem flange is for the turbo, its pretty chunky but I will bolt it to something to keep it rigid.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/1/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Update:

When people ask for advice, why don't they take it???? well in my case I had gone to far already, and I don't know anyone who can tig local to me.

The good news is that when the 12mm turbo flange distorts you can "machine" is back to flat using the flat face of a grinding wheel mounted in an angle grinder (remove the guard, wear gloves)

The bad news is I am a rubbish welder. Don't try to learn to weld on a manifold.

It has been an interesting challenge though.

Do's and don't of making a turbo manifold.

Do:
Draw up flanges in CadStd and get them made by andyw7de
Ask andy to supply a few offcuts of the same stuff to sort settings
Butt weld the pipes
Get a B&D power file and loads of belts
Get a new angle grinder because your last one broke
Think about how you are going to do all the welds
Tack it and then get someone to Tig it!

Don't
Try to learn welding on a manifold
Start welding (beyond little tacks) before finishing off all the pipes, as its difficult to get access later on.
Overlap pipes, well it seems to work, but looks rubbish
Think that welding is easy
Weld it when it isn't clamped up, as it will distort

I've still got a few holes (in the merge), but hopefully I can bodge that together. Then I can watch it all crack when I put it on the car!

Its all about the journey!

Matt

RazMan

posted on 2/1/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Matt - they say that the best way to find out how to do something is to do it yourself. Next time around you will almost certainly do it another way but hey ho, that's experience for you I hope it all holds together for you mate

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AvonZX9R

posted on 3/1/11 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly Matt, my first exhaust welding experience taught me mostly 'Donts' rather than 'Dos'. I made a full exhaust system for my old Toyota Supra from 2.5" mild steel - using a stick welder!!!! The joints ended up being strong and have lasted for years but look like they have been made using some kind of modern art experiment (ish!!). At least the welds are hidden away under the chassis.

I am about to attempt a new exhaust for my Avon and will be taking all of the advice on the above posts - cheers guys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.