Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What BHP from donor
Blacktop

posted on 7/4/11 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
What BHP from donor

I am trying to decide what power output I need from a donor car, I am going to be using an MX5 donor which comes with either 90, 115, 130 bhp

The car will only be used on the road so I am trying to determine what is substantial and what is overkill especially if it will cost more me more £££ for a higher bhp donor.

Using this bhp calculator and specifying a vehicle weight without driver of 550kg then I get the following results:
http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

90 bhp = 6.43 secs
115 bhp = 5.24 secs
130 bhp = 4.76 secs

What sort of 0-60 time should I be looking to acheive for a road going car without going OTT?

dan8400

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Not really sure how to answer your question but that's a hell of a tool. What a good idea that is!!

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind first that this car will be one of the faster things on the road even with a fairly modest 90HP. And probably the fastest thing you've even driven.

My advice is to worry now more about getting the car on the road, power and 0-60 times after you're there.

Of course thats what you and I should do I should probably listen to my own advice as I'm exactly the same as you chasing 0-60 times and I haven't even got a chassis built yet

[Edited on 7/4/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Triton

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
90hp more fun as you can use it all without things getting too giddy, our roads are rubbish and over crowded so why have more if you can't use it.
Making sure the car handles is more useful than lots of horse power

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
My Locost's crossflow engine gives out around 90-ish BHP - and it's faster than most things on the road, short of 'proper sports cars' (and it's faster than quite a few of them!).

If you drive a 90 BHP MX-5 - as I have - you will find that it's a nippy little thing, and will go quite briskly. Put the bits into a Locost and you'll remove at least a third of the weight... power-to-weight is the key here.

And I agree about handling - my top speed is usually legal when I'm out and about, but I don't have to slow down much for corners, which puts me at a huge advantage against other traffic.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey....Of course thats what you and I should do I should probably listen to my own advice as I'm exactly the same as you chasing 0-60 times and I haven't even got a chassis built yet
[Edited on 7/4/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

SO what are you doing posting on here? Go and get on with it then!!

BTW, good link Blacktop but of course there is also the gearing and diff ratio to factor in.

[Edited on 7/4/11 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

adithorp

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Simples... 130!

If you go for the 90 it'll be reasonably quick but there'll be plenty of tin-tops that will beat you away from the lights and if you ever go for a run with other sevens you'll know about it. You'll find yourself using all it's got most of the time.

...115 and it'll be quick and most of the time have a little in reserve, but leave you wanting more.

...130 and it'll be impresive (although not the quickest thing out there) when you actually show what it's got and it'll have leave most stuff for dead.

Although it might cost more now, If you can, go for the bigger power. It'll be cheaper than upgrading later in the end. Thats providing you're set on a CEC. You could always go for the 90, get through IVA, use it for a year and then stick a BIKE ENGINE in!

[Edited on 7/4/11 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

SO what are you doing posting on here? Go and get on with it then!!

BTW, good link Blacktop but of course there is also the gearing and diff ratio to factor in.

[Edited on 7/4/11 by Daddylonglegs]

If I could build a chassis at work I would

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/4/11 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I know the feling mate, I'm so close I can taste it but everything conspires against me

Maybe we should try starting a 'show-and-tell' at work? Take the cars in

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

hughpinder

posted on 7/4/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I know the 1.6 is 115bhp and the 1.8 is 130bhp, with the exception of some detuned 1.6 introduced in/after 1995 which are 88 bhp, so unless you go out of your way to find a later detuned car you really only have a choice of 115 or 130 bhp. The 1.6 is reconned to be freer reving/nicer engine. You could fit one from an early mx5, drive it like that till you get used to it, then go the way of mx5 entheusiasts and fit a supercharger/turbo to get more power. You can get 200bhp+ from the 1.6 with new cams/ecu etc, but I believe with stock internals you get to 150+ easily - probably best to check out some of the mx5 forums for more details.

Regards
Hugh

Blacktop

posted on 7/4/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

If you go for the 90 it'll be reasonably quick but there'll be plenty of tin-tops that will beat you away from the lights and if you ever go for a run with other sevens you'll know about it. You'll find yourself using all it's got most of the time.

...115 and it'll be quick and most of the time have a little in reserve, but leave you wanting more.

...130 and it'll be impresive (although not the quickest thing out there) when you actually show what it's got and it'll have leave most stuff for dead.

Although it might cost more now, If you can, go for the bigger power. It'll be cheaper than upgrading later in the end.

This is what I was thiking about when I posted. I don't exactley want ripped by the hot hatches which hit 0-60 in about 6.50 secs and there are a few of them which are easily capable of this. I'd rather get the right engine first time rather than upgrading later on as just more expensive and no doubt more headaches.

big-vee-twin

posted on 7/4/11 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
You'll be wanting a 2.0 Ltr Duratec then

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

tony-devon

posted on 7/4/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
the answer is easy, the most power you can get in there

then just dont push the loud pedal down as hard when you dont want to go fast

there is no such thing as too much power

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Antnicuk

posted on 7/4/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^^, it will have better resale value also.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

turnipfarmer

posted on 7/4/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Must say I'm not convinced by all these computer-generated figures when it comes to 0-60 times. There are so many other factors to consider.

However... a good big'un is always better than a good little'un, so if it was me, I'd go for the 130.

Remember that whatever engine you go for will have lost some of its power over the years. It may have given 130bhp when new, but now... what... 115-120 at best, maybe? OK, if you're going to be completely rebuilding it, then it doesn't matter, but I suspect that's not what you had in mind.

As someone said earlier, gearing and diff ratio will also affect 0-60 time. And it also depends on how well the chassis can deliver the power to the ROAD. Flywheel BHP and even BHP at the wheels only tell you so much.

If I were you, I'd try & find a few folks who are prepared to let you have a drive in their cars so you can compare.

Also, have you been in a properly set-up seven-style (say) with 115bhp engine up front? If not, give it a try - that might help you make up your mind fairly quickly!

Remember Richard Hammond driving those Renault single-seaters on Top Gear?

Chippy

posted on 7/4/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thought that this may be of interest. Figures on the left from the progam, those on the right best of three runs, so I think that the figures are a tad optomistic, either that or I am just slow, :-) Cheers Ray

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 238
Weight without Driver (KG) : 900
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 268.69
0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.39.................................................. 4.54..... 0.15 more
0 - 100 (Secs) : 10.96
60 - 100 (Secs) : 6.57
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.66..................... 12.98... 0.32 more
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 109.12

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Blacktop

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry I am not taking the handy calculator as gospel as I agree there are other factors to take into account but it is handy to see what sort of ball park figure I should be expecting.
chris mason

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
here's a video on board a 550kg car fitted with the 1.6 mx5 engine.

Not the quickest machine in a straight line, on this circuit it couldn't break 100mph, just not enough power to beat the wind resistance. The caterhams in the video had 125+bhp

Click me

fellatthelast

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
If it helps,

I have had a Westfield with 115BHP (it was about 550KGS) and it was pretty darn quick up to about a ton.

I have a 1.8 MX5 with 130 BHP and it is pretty tidy machine (weighs just under a ton)

The 90 BHP engine in the MX5 is a proper weedy unit and is not simply a de-tune, it is a lot shabbier unit than the other 2.

My advice would be the sweet revving 1.6 giving 115 or for a tad more torque go for the 1.8 130bhp unit.

Either way they are great engines, very tuneable and very reliable.

Good luck with it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.