Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quick Q... Tax in the post - Still Drive
Colnago_Man

posted on 8/4/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Quick Q... Tax in the post - Still Drive

Just applied for my Tax online via the DVLA as the car was SORN'd, payment accepted, email back to say its in the post and should be with me in 5 working days?

Seeing as the sun has come out, can I legally drive it now (I have mot and insurance)?

Hellfire

posted on 8/4/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
"If you apply on-line or over the phone in the last few days of this month you will not be committing an offence if you do not display a tax disk for the first five working days of the next month. This is a new law, which gives time for the new tax disk to arrive in the post. This new law only applies if you made your application for a new tax disk before the current one or SORN ran out."

Says this on the back of the V11.

Phil

BenB

posted on 8/4/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
It's the 8th so the grace period is over... then again you could just say that you've left it at home if you get stopped by the rozzers and hope that it arrives in time for your to "present" it.

I wouldn't worry personally. I never attached my road tax certificate to my Locost (worry it'll get nicked). 50% of the time when I go for a drive it's in my pocket, 50% of the time it's sat in my garage. Never had need for it (yet!). And that includes parking the car and leaving it places.

Chippy

posted on 8/4/11 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think these day the BiB just punch in the reg number and it tells them if its taxed and insured, may be wrong, but thats what I was told. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

BenB

posted on 8/4/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Apropros tax / insurance etc. How are they going to enforce the ruling that cars must be insured even if they're not on the road? Will they be looking for cars on drives or just crawling the database looking for [road tax] - [insurance].
mrwibble

posted on 8/4/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
I think these day the BiB just punch in the reg number and it tells them if its taxed and insured, may be wrong, but thats what I was told. HTH Ray

that would be my take on it too. Plus if you did get pulled by a jobsworth, you've got a week to present it or is it 2?

marcjagman

posted on 8/4/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's illegal if you get stopped now, no excuse. If it's not displayed you shouldn't legally drive it on the road unless the tax disc has been stolen, no producers these days the car will be towed. However, as previously stated, the ANPR system will flash the car up as being legal so chances of being stopped are practically nil. I know if I was legal I would drive.
Johneturbo

posted on 8/4/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
displayed... Pah! i just keep mine in my wallet
Peteff

posted on 8/4/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
displayed... Pah! i just keep mine in my wallet

It's still an offence not to display a current tax disc on the vehicle, I got a warning for mine and it had only dropped off onto the floor of the car.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Johneturbo

posted on 8/4/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
If i had a windscreen then yeah i probably would display, i think the police around here have other things to worry about!
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Have worked alongside dvla for years now and never known them to prosecute anyone for failure to display, they merely check to see if its taxed and move on.
The Modfather

posted on 9/4/11 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I know this is an old post, but the offence is failing to display.

Having it in your pocket/wallet/kitchen table is not a valid excuse under this law, it MUST be displayed.

Having said this, I would not prosecute a driver if they had it with them, but I know others who would. Being a biker as well, I too keep my tax disc in my jacket having had several stolen from me in East London when parked.

On my Robin Hood I have the disc in one of those anti theft holders, thats providing the thieving gits dont have either a 10mm spanner or a 2mm allen key!!!!

Back to the original post, yes you do have the grace of the first 5 working days, and this technically could be as long as 13 days in total if you have 2 bank holiday weekends at the start of the month! Not sure if that actually happens in the calender, but don't forget this if you ever get stopped.

Daz (your friendly "rozzer" who's been doing it for too many years now to be bothered about those that moan about us and call us jobsworths, and other not very nice things)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.