Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Brake Bias Rule Change?
PeterV

posted on 28/12/11 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
IVA Brake Bias Rule Change?

At my IVA (15/12/11) the tester said

"They have retreated from requiring welding. Pin locking will now suffice but you need to add a disclaimer notice”

That notice says something along the lines of 'Adjusting this invalidates the cars test and build'

The tester said he would give me the exact wording required for the label but (as my bar was already welded and passed all brake tests with flying colours) by the end of the test I forgot to ask about it again. In fact I forgotten all about it until I started work on my car again today and was going through all the scribblings I made at the test.

Anyone else heard about this?

It might be worth asking some IVA centres what they want to see. It sounds like an a good move forward on this issue IMHO. Would have saved me loads of pennies and sleepless nights

minitici

posted on 28/12/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Was changed in 2010...
The wording for the label should be as Note6. below....

IVA M1 Inspection Manual Revision: 2 Date: 24/05/2010
Service Brake Control / Mechanical Components 09B

26. It must not be possible to manually adjust braking rates between axles see note 4 and 5

27. Vehicles fitted with adjustable twin master cylinders that have been rendered inoperable by mechanical means to comply with RS 26 must have a label affixed on the master cylinder or the immediate vicinity with legible text as detailed in note 6.

Note 4: Hydraulic valves that only operate automatically and react to vehicle loading or braking forces are permitted (Load Sensing and Gravity valves) Manually adjusted valves
(other than to permit presetting the automatic function of a valve) are not permitted to be fitted even if they are rendered un-adjustable.

Note 5: Bias bars and other mechanical adjusting devices fitted to twin master cylinders must be rendered inoperable by mechanical means e.g. lockwiring of components.

Note 6: Adjusting front/rear brake bias may invalidate approval and breach Construction and Use requirements.

PeterV

posted on 28/12/11 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ah right there we go then cheers minitici, no more welding required. Oh well never mind my ones are fixed for life or until I change the master cylinders. Still the brake bias is spot on so tiz not a worry. Just cost many Shekels and hours to set before welding but I guess pinning in just as bad for that. Only welding also = new carpet..... ho hum never mind

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.