Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: roll cage retrofit
ecosse748

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
roll cage retrofit

I've spent a few hours looking though posts about roll cages, but i thought i'd ask to see if i could get some specific information, mainly prices, as its hard to find those on threads. I'm looking at buying a MK indy with the standard roll bar behind the seats but would like a price to fit the car with a full cage, including side protection for piece of mind driving on the road and possible track use (non competitive before the MSA blue book comes out!) How much can i expect to pay for a decent cage, including fitting?

Is there much in the way of modifications required to the bodywork to gain access I'll phone up MK tomorrow to see what their going rate is but i've heard a few guys mentioned on here that may be of help. Im based near silverstone. any input or U2U welcome.

snakebelly

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Matt at Procomp is your man, did a spanking job on our Tiger GTA, they are Birmingham based just off spaghetti
danny keenan

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi we would charge £550 fitted and powder coated.you can still give me a call tomorrow for a chat or we have a car coming in the next couple of weeks as a p/x

It's an mk Indy r with a zx10 fitted.it also has a full cage.the price would be around £9,000 or bait less

Thanks Danny mk sports cars

gavin174

posted on 7/8/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
this will be an interesting thread to follow....

Matt at Procomp and MK have different views when it comes to rollcages...

to buy a car with a standard rear rollover bar and add a full cage is quite a big job..

normally means removing the side panels, which means removing the front wishbones, rear arches etc....

good luck with your search

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

loggyboy

posted on 7/8/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Danny -
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=169236

[Edited on 7-8-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

gavin174

posted on 7/8/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
sorry loggyboy...

couldnt find anything about rollcages in that post..

or did I miss something

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

ecosse748

posted on 7/8/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
yeah i've read about the varying views on tube thickness and bends and so on, and really dont want to start another thread on that. I'm a kit car noobie, so i was purely interested in what sort of job it would be to retrofit a cage. i guess the rear rollhoop needs two legs to come off backwards mounted somewhere and also the front section needs fitted to the chassis, possibly needing some modifications to the bodywork? Photos would be nice if someone has a build documented. regardless of what cage is legal or better, the bottom line is that its going to have to fit to the car somehow
austin man

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
well I wouldn't have guessed that would happen again.

As previously mentioned the retrofitting of a cage can be more expensive due to the work involved damage can be caused to the side panels if not removed due to the heat generated. So simpler answer is buy one with a cage on it from the start.

There are supposedly better cages than the MK one However the MK one is substantial enough and is allowed in race series.

You dont have to Buy from MK but they will be happy to supply and fit as will others, no doubt they will deliver allowing you to fit locally as will others

Yes they have had some complaints in the past As have others even Caterham and westfield no doubt

And yes there are some on here that the mere mention of MK seek to ensure any previous failings that MK have had are continually regurgitated.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ecosse748

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
danny, do you have any cages available to look at or any cars up there with one fitted? i might be able to pop by tomorrow? As for the procomp one, from the photos i've seen so far its a nice looking, well built cage.
austin man

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
They generally have cars in being built with cages, Danny's Race car will be in which has hte cage fitted. so you should be able to view some in varying stages of manafacture

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ecosse748

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
awesome, thats ideal. i'll give them a phone in the morning. again, if anyone has pics or links to builds feel free to post them
austin man

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
You could also go to Mallory Park on Sunday, Danny is racing so you can also see how the Race car handles

snakebelly

posted on 8/8/12 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
couple of pics of the cage procomp did for us:

[Edited on 8/8/12 by snakebelly]

loggyboy

posted on 8/8/12 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Surely it cant be a Procomp one..! it has bends in the upper members lol

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 8/8/12 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gavin174
sorry loggyboy...

couldnt find anything about rollcages in that post..

or did I miss something

Yeah sorry, I was just pointing Danny in the direction of a post that he should be doing something about!

As for cages, you have obviously read alot of the debates on MSA bluebook etc, but if you gonna spend £500-600 on a cage that could be compliant for no extra cost then you might as well. Peace of mind that it is designed well, and future resale value for someone that may want to race the car, or if you ever decide to?!
Any kit manufacturer or cage manufacturer would be able to do one, the blue book rules are very simple if you read them carefully! Probably best to find someone local as it means transportation will be simpler and less costly.

Mistral Motorsport

procomp

posted on 8/8/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just been pointed in this direction.

Yes we can fit a front section to an existing rear £500.
Or if the rear hoop is unsuitable IE height width etc, we can fit a full cage with driver only or driver and passenger side protection for £900.

All our work re roll cages is to full MSA of FIA standards.

Cheers Matt

PS i think there is a pic of an MK with a retrofit front cage in my photo archive <<.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
renetom

posted on 8/8/12 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
cage

Hi
Our Indy has a full rollcage
See picts in our archive.
As for Mk, they have always provided us excellent service.
René.

gtr_garner

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
i need something adding to my GT1 as it is ridiculously exposed atm, it will be an interesting job to say the least.
i cant see me doing well in an accident atm!

loggyboy

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
A full cage would be possible, but might make the car look a bit odd. I would certainly beef up the roll bar with some decent size back braces and a proper diaganol.

Mistral Motorsport

TimC

posted on 18/10/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
A full cage would be possible, but might make the car look a bit odd. I would certainly beef up the roll bar with some decent size back braces and a proper diaganol.

Full cage on an LMP-style car.

gtr_garner

posted on 18/10/12 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
decent rear bars are a necessity, i know what you mean about it looking wierd which is why i need to think of something to give me a bit of forward protection without looking awful . . .

The radicals have a couple of hinged forward bars by the look of it so it may have to be something like that. I think the majority of beefing up with be in the passenger compartment section.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.