Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Moisture in a fridge?
Ninehigh

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Moisture in a fridge?

I'm starting to build another pc, and I was wanting water cooling. I am also planning to put the resevoir in a mini fridge on the basis that it would provide more cooling if the water was at 4 degrees.

Then it hit me today, why not put the whole pc in the fridge and have the entire environment at 4 degrees? This would mean I'm not messing about so much.

So is the inside of a fridge a damp environment enough to bother a pc?

austin man

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would think the fridge may become overwaorked due to the heat generated from the PC the heat and cold would potentially increase moisture levels.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

JoelP

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
the damp in a fridge is moisture in the air condensing on the cold parts. So long as the door isnt opened excessively, then the computer shouldnt get wet, especially since it would be warmer than the rest of the fridge.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
That's a good point, would it be able to handle it?

The door would only be opened if I had to get inside it, as I'd wire up the dvd drive to be outside (I do know that discs get damp on them when cold)

Slimy38

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I would be amazed if a fridge could get rid of that much heat. And it would be hard work to get it airtight with the wires in and out.
david_hornet27

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
It is an interesting idea!

Does this help??

http://www.ehow.com/how_5793999_cool-computer-mini-refrigerator.html

Edited to say I would be far to scared to try this!

[Edited on 25/10/12 by david_hornet27]

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

Confused but excited.

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
That article reads like itwas written by someone who thinks it should work but has never actally tried it with their own computer.
Just go for a tried and tested fluid cooling system if that's what you are after.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

david_hornet27

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed.

Fridges are designed to keep cold things cool, not to cool things down that produce heat...

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

Staple balls

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
All this seems like a way to massively increase your electricity bill with little to no performance gain.

The old school option would be a peltier to cool your cpu with a wc loop to remove the heat, or you can try all kinds of silly things. I used to duct outside air through my radiator to keep it extra cool.

Anyway, I'd check out somewhere like OCAU or Hardocp for other interesting and viable cooling options.

tegwin

posted on 25/10/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Fridge is a bit overkill..

Get a proper watercool system, they are pretty cheap these days.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

contaminated

posted on 25/10/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I actually did this once. It was way back when I was at university and into over clocking. There was an article about it on some forum I frequented (via a dial up connection!).

I was running a massively over clocked Pentium (or even Celeron, I forget now) 133 with a Voodoo 2 PCI graphics card which shows you how long ago it was. I didn't run it for long and I just did it to prove to a mate that it would be stable, but it didn't get wet. A fridge is just a heat exchanger really. As others have said it's not until you open it up that you get any moisture. Would be much easier now with all the cheap small fridges you can get. I seem to rember I also experimented with a simple metal conductor, one end connected to the fridge gubbins and one end to the heatsink. Happy (if skint) days!

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

mcerd1

posted on 25/10/12 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
about 10 years ago you used to be able to get refrigerated cases - they had heating elements to stick on the back of the MB to stop condensation forming...

[Edited on 25/10/2012 by mcerd1]

-

MikeRJ

posted on 25/10/12 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
A small fridge won't be able to cope with anything like the heat output from from a PC. You could build an evaporative cooler which can work pretty well.
coyoteboy

posted on 26/10/12 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
No point at all, the size of fridge you need to shift ~300-400W of heat output would be pretty large. It won't get damp as the moisture will condense on the colder bits, which will be the walls of the fridge, not the warm computer.

You can buy peltier cooling systems to refridgerate the CPU/GPU etc directly, they DO have condensation issues as they're making the CPU the coldest spot in a warm room, but they're also one of the best ways of getting the CPU cold.

Unless you're planning on massively overclocking it's pointless anyway.

By far the best idea for "coolness" is to build the computer into a fish tank and fill it with mineral oil, remove all fans and grin as the oil removes the heat nice and quick and is insulating <HSE> Don't do this unless you know what you're doing</HSE>

Westy1994

posted on 26/10/12 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
As per what coyoteboy says in his last paragraph. I did this 10 years ago with a clocked AMD, used normal sunflower oil as this is dielectric, so will not affect the electrical systems of a PC at all, I did though leave a fan on, but not on the CPU, all it did was recirculate the oil around the container thereby dispelling yet more heat. I had the system running for about 6 months without shutting the PC off once, I helped run a now defunct IRC chat server, and as such it had to be online 24/7.

Using oil as a cooling medium is not without its issues though, after those 6 months, the room did kind of smell like your local chippy does on a busy Friday night......

I tried watercooling but the oil was by far the better of the two.

Just my 2p's worth ....

mcerd1

posted on 26/10/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
this is the sort of thing I was meaning:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Asetek-VapoChill-XE-II-Refrigerated-PC-Case_Peripheral_review

did see one that claimed to be able to overclock the compressor and run an old athlon 2600 or similar down to -30°C

-

Benzine

posted on 26/10/12 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
I use a radiator from a mini, keeps everything nice and cool. It'd be nice if I could rig it up so the radiator was outside the house, in winter it'd be cold as flip
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 26/10/12 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
...It'd be nice if I could rig it up so the radiator was outside the house, in winter ...
What you really want is it to draw air from outside, and blow inside! Preheated fresh air!

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.