Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 45's
ross05

posted on 8/11/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
45's

Hi guys,

Could do with some advise,I am looking at buying a pair of 45 dcoe carbs for my 2.0 zetec powered westy.with the 5 progression holes.The car is presently fitted with 40's with 3 progression holes and has the flat spot.

My question is has anybody get the same setup with the 5 progression holes and can give advice on:

choke size Aux venturas,emulsion tube,main jet,air jet,Idle jet and pump jet sizes as a starting point.

cheers Ross

Paul Turner

posted on 8/11/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
The official Weber settings for 45 with 5 holes are:

Choke 40
AV 4.5
Main Jet 138
Air Corrector Jet 155
Emulsion tube F4
Idle jet 50F8
Pump jet 45

Never tried these settings since with 3 hole 45's on my car I never had a flatspot but I would not want 40mm chokes, way too big for a road car, 36's are ample, 38's OK if you want top end over bottom end.

Surprised that you have a flat spot with 40's, its generally accepted that 40's do not have that issue.

ross05

posted on 8/11/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
45's

should have said car is used for road use only...and the flat spot between 1200-1600 rpm is just frustrating,so decided to change to 45's.

The car was already fitted with the 40's when I bought it,so time for an upgrade

Ross

mcerd1

posted on 8/11/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
just to throw in another option - how about a set of bike carb's ?

ZX9R and R1's are both around right size (40mm choke) as are a couple of the other bikes, but I can't remember which off the top of my head....
plenty of folk here use them and selling the 40's should cover the costs involved

here's mine on a shinny bogg bros manifold

[Edited on 8/11/2012 by mcerd1]

-

contaminated

posted on 8/11/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be selling mine soon in all probability but I'll probably be looking to off-load the manifold and megajolt as well. This might be of interest anyway though. Mine originally had three progression holes and I was (very strongly!) advised by Gerald Dale to get the extra holes drilled. Cost me £100 and six weeks at Webcon but it was well worth it. They were also serviced, new gaskets etc. When I took it back to Gerald he played about with the jets and got it running very nicely. I can't remember what's fitted now but I can have a look if it helps. I went up to 36mm chokes as well.

Mine is the second Tiger in this vid while they were being setup. Scary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFRyaPlWV4I

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

ross05

posted on 8/11/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
45's

Just watched your vid. was that a dash to the toilets!!!!

I already have inlet manifold and omex 200 running the 40's etc just need a pair of 45's with the 5 holes.and I had not considered bike carbs!!!

All depends on the cost

I understand a new pr of 45's with the 5 holes is going to cost around 650 squids.So keeping an open mind

Cheers Ross

mcerd1

posted on 8/11/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
FASTdan on here sells bike carb kits for £300 (inc 36mm carbs), or all the bits to make your own mainifold if you want to save even more cash

the carb's should be around £50-100 from a bike breakers and most will have a TPS built in for the ignition system

[Edited on 8/11/2012 by mcerd1]

-

ross05

posted on 8/11/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
45's

ross05

posted on 8/11/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
45's

cheers will have a look at bike carbs as an option.
lordbenny

posted on 8/11/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Why not get Dellortos, they have enough holes for your needs as standard!
Paul Turner

posted on 9/11/12 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Buying new 45's at £650 today is a waste of money IMHO. I went to injection and the difference is very noticeable and a pair of throttle bodies costs less than a pair of 45's. The ECU's are virtually the same price. After selling my carbs and ignition ECU the conversion cost me a grand approx.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.