Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OBP Pedal Box - Accelerator Cable Bike Carbs
mikeb

posted on 9/1/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
OBP Pedal Box - Accelerator Cable Bike Carbs

I've had an attempt at fitting the accelerator cable to my OBP pedal box.
I'm really not happy with it.

I was using a mountain bike brake cable, but I'm not convinced this is going to be robust enough.

Currently I drilled a whole in the pedal arm and have the adjuster sitting above it.
Current issues are:

1. As the cable comes through the adjuster the angle varies a lot, when in the zero throttle position its at its worse. First picture shows this
2. There's no pedal stop to stop the pedal coming back past 0 throttle,
3. Not enough return spring from the carbs spring only (zx6r carb), so pedal feel isn't good and slow to return. Not a nice snap back feel it should have. So I need to find a way of getting a second spring in there somewhere.
4. I have a solderless nipple on the pedal end that isn't great and if it comes loose will be a complete pita.

20130105_151940 by mjb22001, on Flickr

20130105_151928 by mjb22001, on Flickr

I want to get it right next time as I need to permanently fix my side panels and scuttle and don't want to be down there once thats done.

Any pics of a OBP to help me out towards a better solution.

Thanks

[Edited on 9/1/13 by mikeb]

contaminated

posted on 9/1/13 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
1. As the cable comes through the adjuster the angle varies a lot, when in the zero throttle position its at its worse. First picture shows this - why are you coming into the pedal box from above? - On mine I come through the bulkhead flat and straight to the pedal so I don't have angle issues. Admittedly this means I go through a chassis rail (plus a fake one that I won't bore you with) but I just sleeved it with some copper brake pipe.
2. There's no pedal stop to stop the pedal coming back past 0 throttle, - with the above setup the end of my copper sleeve acts as the stop
3. Not enough return spring from the carbs spring only (zx6r carb), so pedal feel isn't good and slow to return. Not a nice snap back feel it should have. So I need to find a way of getting a second spring in there somewhere. - either more springs (or better ones) at the carb end or put a spring on the pedal. I have a Sytec throttle linkage with two springs and I don't need a spring on the pedal.
4. I have a solderless nipple on the pedal end that isn't great and if it comes loose will be a complete pita. - I feed the cable from the pedal end, so there is a soldered nipple that end. I use a solderless nipple (actually part of the throttle linkage) at the carb end. This means I adjust the slack with an adjuster at the carb end, not the pedal end.

HTH

Dan

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

mikeb

posted on 9/1/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
thanks Dan,

Any pictures of your set up. Can't quite figure out coming through the bulkhead, in my head that would push the cable rather than pull it but I'm probably being slow!

From what I gathered from OBP guide it was designed for top entry but the guide wasn't that useful.

Is the sytec kit only for webers/dellorto's

Thanks

M

ceebmoj

posted on 9/1/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have the same pedal box and would be interested in seeing pictures of your throttle cable.
contaminated

posted on 9/1/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'll dig some out for you later.

Dan

www.southernkitcars.com

snakebelly

posted on 9/1/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I think Dan is running the same as me in that our pedal box accelerator pedals run a linkage system different to yours so the action needed on the cable end is from front to rear where yours appears to need the pull to be top to bottom, if you look at the following document and zoom into the photo of the pedal linkage on page 9 you will see what we run which is also what I think you should be running also.
http://www.obpltd.com/help/file/46-track-pro-pedal-box-fitting

The OBP stuff is pretty modular so I would be surprised if Grant couldn't fix you up with the alternative throttle assembly to fit your pedal box

HTH

[Edited on 9/1/13 by snakebelly]

contaminated

posted on 9/1/13 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
I think Dan is running the same as me in that our pedal box accelerator pedals run a linkage system different to yours so the action needed on the cable end is from front to rear where yours appears to need the pull to be top to bottom, if you look at the following document and zoom into the photo of the pedal linkage on page 9 you will see what we run which is also what I think you should be running also.
http://www.obpltd.com/help/file/46-track-pro-pedal-box-fitting

The OBP stuff is pretty modular so I would be surprised if Grant couldn't fix you up with the alternative throttle assembly to fit your pedal box

HTH

[Edited on 9/1/13 by snakebelly]

I think you are right actually, a different design to mine.

www.southernkitcars.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.