Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW XL1, would you?
sebastiaan

posted on 21/2/13 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
VW XL1, would you?

Good news! VW seems to have found some balls and is now putting their XL1 prototype into (very limited...) series production. See story and some pictures here: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130221/GENEVA/130229972

It's probably going to be really expensive and I expect them to still loose money one every single one, but as a "Halo-car", I could think of worse things to put into production.

Thing is, I think that I actually would buy and drive something like that IF it were reasonably priced. How about the rest of you guys; would you?

[img]http://www.topgear.com/uk/assets/cms/3edacc9d-264e-4de2-aaeb-fc9fdb69e14f/Thumbnail.jpg?p=110405_11:32[/img]

jps

posted on 21/2/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just about to buy another car and the over-riding concern will be the cost of running it. So 'yes' - if I could get a reasonably priced car that did 270mpg i'd be camping outside the dealership at to get my name down for it!

Realistically 90% of my annual mileage must be commuting - which doesn't present opportunities for enjoying a 'drivers' car - for anyone else in the same position I can't understand why you wouldn't buy a car like that...

[Edited on 21/2/13 by jps]

russbost

posted on 21/2/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, but it would need to be at least a 4 seater & the price would have to be sensible for what it is - ie Prius type prices or a bit more - not £30k for something like a Nissan Leaf which runs out of "fuel" every 100 miles

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tegwin

posted on 21/2/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
No I wouldn't its a hideous design which is already dated.

I could buy a 3K micra and spend 3K a year on fuel or buy a 30K car and spend 1K on fuel a year.... urm....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

rb968

posted on 21/2/13 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I remember seeing the VW Bluesport when the prototype was banded about and thought it looked great but they never made it.

VW Bluesport

Rich

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/2/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Fugly and pointless... thats is all

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

theduck

posted on 21/2/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I do a 1000 mile a month commute so should say yes, but I do a further 1000 miles of short journeys that I like to enjoy the drive, so I couldn't do it.
NigeEss

posted on 21/2/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
With looks like that, absolutely not.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

AndyW

posted on 21/2/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
With looks like that, absolutely not.

+1

Ninehigh

posted on 21/2/13 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
If it was a sensible price then yes, I could put up with that odd light cluster thing on the back end. Otherwise I think it looks pretty sleek

Grimsdale

posted on 21/2/13 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
now imagine it without the covered rear wheels. I think that's better!
Slimy38

posted on 22/2/13 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale

Yeah, definitely a flawed design to cover the rear wheels, reminds me of an old citroen my mate used to have?

My worry for these sorts of cars is still the lifespan of the battery pack. I thought the bill for changing a cambelt on a regular basis was bad enough, but having to pay thousands for a new battery pack every five years or so just seems bonkers. I guess it might be more relevant to all electric cars rather than hybrids, but it's still very offputting.

AndyGT

posted on 22/2/13 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Reminded me of the Masseratti powered citroen SM.
40 years later is not radical!!!
SM was a pretty car, that is beyond FUGLY!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale

Yeah, definitely a flawed design to cover the rear wheels, reminds me of an old citroen my mate used to have?

My worry for these sorts of cars is still the lifespan of the battery pack. I thought the bill for changing a cambelt on a regular basis was bad enough, but having to pay thousands for a new battery pack every five years or so just seems bonkers. I guess it might be more relevant to all electric cars rather than hybrids, but it's still very offputting.
beyond FUGLY

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 22/2/13 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I thought from the back it looked a bit DS-like, obviously not the only one seeing the Citroen shapes in there...
UncleFista

posted on 22/2/13 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Too complicated and too expensive, strip out the electric part, lose the carbon, ceramic matrix, side view screens/cameras and halve the price.
People who can afford a new $50,000 car aren't overly bothered by their fuel bills IMHO.

If they sold it for $25,000 I reckon it could be massive

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Andy S

posted on 22/2/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
If that's representative of the future of the automobile then I'm looking forward to it.

Covered wheels - yes please

sebastiaan

posted on 22/2/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
So, a marmite car (as expected!)

I must say that I really like it, but think that it would be a lot better without the electric bits and carbon fibre shell. But that then basically leaves you with a Smart roadster with improved aerodynamics....

tomprescott

posted on 22/2/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I think another issue will be the weight of the batteries - as we've seen with mobile phones and mp3 players over the last ten years, battery technology is advancing so that the same power can be generated from smaller, lighter packages, and components are constantly being redesigned to be smaller and more efficient.

I don't know a huge amount about the efficiency of the motors which drive modern electric cars like the leaf but assuming that electric cars are eventually going to become the norm, I can only assume that more will be spent on research and the motors will become smaller and more efficient, and the batteries will also become smaller. Less weight to carry around should see the operating range increase significantly.

In and of itself that's great, but it does mean that the electric cars are likely to devalue faster than conventional cars, and will devalue increasingly quickly - meaning that at almost any point in time you would be economically better off not buying an electric car. So a 3k micra with 3k a year on fuel as suggested would be a better proposition. Of course I could be talking nutsack in which case you just wasted your time reading my comment

ETA: I know the intended use is at the other end of the scale, but I was reading up about the electric versions of the SLS, and that has 500kg of batteries, so there is a significant weight.

[Edited on 22/2/13 by tomprescott]

A bird in the hand....

Volvorsport

posted on 22/2/13 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Along the lines of something i want to build , GRP structure and a £500 donor ........hmmmmm

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

steve m

posted on 22/2/13 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
"If that's representative of the future of the automobile then I'm looking forward to it.

Covered wheels - yes please"

+1

i like it, looks differnt, and i like the covered rear wheels

tegwin

posted on 22/2/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
How can you say it looks "different". Every single futuristic car in films since the early eighties had covered weels like that...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ettore bugatti

posted on 22/2/13 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Lose the rear spats and change the engine for a Hayabusa.

Now, that would a nice car

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.