Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trouble wiring neutral light for reverse....
Sloan85

posted on 16/3/13 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble wiring neutral light for reverse....

I am having some difficulty wiring the reverse to the neutral light. I have looked at the wiring diagram for the bike and it appears that the blue/white is the feed for the neutral light - would you agree?

I cut into this wire and took a connection off for the relay to engage the reverse. The voltage across this cable is 0.8v when the neutral light is illuminated and 12v when the light is off. I tried to get this to power a normally closed relay but its not working.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

(wiring diagram is below. The blue/white I am using is at the top left, labelled as neutral LED)

Sloan85

posted on 16/3/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ignore that first post, I've been getting confused.

I have cut into the blue/black that goes to the neutral led and put the relay in (across terminals 85+86). The neutral light comes on the the relay does not activate. Have I messed up or might there now be enough power for the relay. I am using a durite 0-727-12 (12v 20A).

Cheers

minitici

posted on 16/3/13 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
U2U replied!
Sloan85

posted on 16/3/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Two drawings showing what I have tried today. Still no joy. Am I doing it wrong?

Cheers

omega 24 v6

posted on 16/3/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
If as you say the voltage is indeed 12v between blu/black and earth when the lamp is off. Then you could use a 5 pin relay and terminal 87a to your reverse switch.
So an ign supply to 30 on the relay and 87a to your rev switch
cut into the blu/back and wire to 85 on the relay and 86 on the relay to earth,

ETA I cannot see clearly what the symbol is in the fuse box so Not sure if this will work.
I suspect that there is more to it than I can see. The gear indicator unit will not just be a simple switch it will be a variable resistor or a voltage divider.

[Edited on 16/3/13 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Macbeast

posted on 16/3/13 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you are feeding the relay in series with an LED there will be nowhere near enough current to pull in the relay. An LED would typically draw 10 mA. You could try shorting out the LED and the relay should then pull in.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Sloan85

posted on 16/3/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Should I wire the relay in parallel with the LED then? I could take a feed from the black/white for that.
minitici

posted on 16/3/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the +12V is being fed to the Neutral LED from within the speedo.
The BL/B wire from the Neutral LED runs to the fuse box via a diode then into the Blue wire to the Gear Sensor.
When the Gear Sensor is in the neutral position the blue is connected to the B/W wire which runs to ground and completes the circuit to illuminate the neutral LED.

Try feeding your relay coil with a +12V (fused) feed (without any connection to your neutral LED) and connect the BL/B wire in the main loom to the other side of the relay coil and see if the relay activates when in the neutral position.

If that works, you could then use a double pole single throw relay and use one set of contacts for the neutral light and one set of contacts for the reverse motor (or reverse relay/solenoid).

[Edited on 16/3/13 by minitici]

Sloan85

posted on 17/3/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
I think that the +12V is being fed to the Neutral LED from within the speedo.
The BL/B wire from the Neutral LED runs to the fuse box via a diode then into the Blue wire to the Gear Sensor.
When the Gear Sensor is in the neutral position the blue is connected to the B/W wire which runs to ground and completes the circuit to illuminate the neutral LED.

Try feeding your relay coil with a +12V (fused) feed (without any connection to your neutral LED) and connect the BL/B wire in the main loom to the other side of the relay coil and see if the relay activates when in the neutral position.

If that works, you could then use a double pole single throw relay and use one set of contacts for the neutral light and one set of contacts for the reverse motor (or reverse relay/solenoid).

[Edited on 16/3/13 by minitici]

Thanks for your help!! With a 12v feed to the relay and the other side connected to the BL/B wire, the relay engages when the neutral light is on, and disengages when the engine is in gear.

Diagram below shows how the rest is installed. Used 2 relays as Im operating the starter solenoid with a Savage switch. Hopefully it all works when I connect it all together.

rx7locost

posted on 17/3/13 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a simpler version that only uses one relay. It should work for you. The toggle to enable the reverse and the momentary to jog the starter.

I don't know what the starter relay control coil draws. Fuse the (unfused) +12V accordingly.

You can have either or both dash lights.

Description
Description

Sloan85

posted on 17/3/13 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Connected it all together and it works perfectly. I have used two relays as everything I have read suggests starter solenoids draw 10A and my savage switch are 6A.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.