Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: accusump... hayabusa
Flick

posted on 3/10/14 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
accusump... hayabusa

hi

question for you guys

gen 1 hayabusa, mid engine, same orientation as bike, standard sump no mods, just baffle plate fitted................car is for road use and maybe 5/6 track days a year.

I know dry sump is meant to be best solution but problem is struggling on space for tank. would mean loosing one fuel tank, taking total capacity to about 3.5 gallon. Might be able to fit smaller 3.2 litre dry sump tank, would be very tight though and led to believe this might be too small.

so just considering accusump, any experience of these and size needed would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks matt

Andy B

posted on 3/10/14 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Basically the dry sump option will cure surge whereas the accusump is a sticking plaster that accepts surge is still present and tries to limit it's effects. So for want of a better word - a halfway house.
Like any remedy the accusump has it's limitations - reaction speed and capacity as well as duration of surge window all play a part.
Oil surge is subjective so the faster you corner or brake or indeed both, the worse it will get so driver ability plays a part.
The hayabusa is the one engine we and many others have failed to control with billet wet sumps and my advice would be if you want total peace of mind go dry sump.
One thing I can pretty much say with certainty is the swinging pick up sump will not suffice.
Something to think about is we quite often hear the quote - " it shouldn't be too bad as it's for road not track use" but there are not many race tracks that give you the surge conditions of the good old roundabout - brake hard on entry and then a very tight radius with the possibility of up to 360 degree turn - it's almost surge guaranteed
Hope that helps, it's not meant to be scare tactics and we ourselves don't build a busa sump it's just based on what we have seen on a daily basis for years
Best regards
Andy

Jon Ison

posted on 3/10/14 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with Andy re swinging pick ups and that dry sump is the preferred choice however I have had a accusump on my busa powered 7 for almost 5 years now, during those years I can honestly say it as probably done more track hours/miles than the majority of cars on here and is still on original engine, the car is not known for been a slouch on track.

My sump was modded by Martin of MK engineering shorted and baffled, there are a few corners where I see the accusump come into operation but never to the point of total discharge, in my case never see it needed during acceleration or braking, its also a great pre oiling tool prior to start up.

Im not saying it will work for you but it does for me.

angliamotorsport

posted on 3/10/14 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
accusump

I have an accusump plumbed into a zx10r in a Van Diemen which is used for sprints and hillclimbs and can tell you it has to works lots.
It has covered most track/ course, situations but attacking any 90 degree bend at speed, the pressure does drop, so it works as an incentive to clear the bend asap.
The pre oiling is good. I have no experience of busas, but would trust Andy's advice 100%, go for dry sump if you can afford it.

daniel mason

posted on 3/10/14 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
My radical hayabusa is dry sumped. Runs super sticky Avon A15 sprint tyres. Corners extremely hard and quick and never once had an issue with oil pressure. I run the sbd kit which I believe to be the best (or one of) available

Flick

posted on 3/10/14 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.
Woke up this morning and thought - dry sump. Just means will have to sacrifice fuel tank or go for squeeze in smaller dry sump tank. Had a look at the SBD one, looks very nice and neat. Extreme do a kit with pump tank etc which costs less and looks OK, any opinions which one or does it not make much difference........

daniel mason

posted on 3/10/14 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
What car is it going in?

JimSpencer

posted on 3/10/14 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

A few years ago I went down the Accusump route and it worked just fine.. for a couple of seasons.. then the Accusump valve and Gauge both failed (not sure which way round this happened but when removed from the car both u/s) given where the accusump was located it was actually hard to see anyway so could have been either way round.
Equaled a knackered engine (twice in fact as had it fixed and broke it again before we realised that the accusmup had gone pear shaped)

So they do work - but check it reguarly and don't install it where you can't easily see whats going on.

However

A dry sump for a busa is easy to get (i was running a ZX10R and dry sumps are like rocking horse poo) and from what I can see not a fortune more than a Accusump once you've got it all plumbed in.

I'd bite the bullet and do it right from the outset to be quite honest.

Andy B

posted on 3/10/14 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
SBD every time
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/10/14 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really keen to fit an accusump my old tin top for pre oiling before startup, as far I can see it could only be a good thing for the engine. I was going to use a sandwich plate and fit a remote oil filter too as that's at the back of the engine and makes a mess everytime it gets changed
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Flick

posted on 3/10/14 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Building a rtr mevabusa. Not really a track day car and never done a track day, would love to have a go though. SBD it is.

[Edited on 3/10/14 by Flick]

daniel mason

posted on 3/10/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you will squeeze the d/s tank in somewhere

Flick

posted on 3/10/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes mate, even if have to lose one of the fuel tanks got to better than risking engine. Meh, 3.5 gallon aint that bad.

Never really planned for dry sump or accusump as I was just going for road use and TBH probably would of ran just with baffle. Although I see know this probably risky also. Just seeing all vids of Blyton, curborough, etc,,.....thought I'd like to give it a go.
Thanks guys for all your help.

[Edited on 3/10/14 by Flick]

daniel mason

posted on 3/10/14 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had a minor incident on last corner at blyton sprint this summer! Nothing to do with oil surge. Just driver error! Lol

richard thomas

posted on 4/10/14 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that if you have the engine mounted in the same orientation as it was in the bike, then the linky below would suffice.....it has an internal baffle system and worked well on my luego velocity 'busa, which had the engine turned through 90 degrees......that said, I never ran slicks or anything, and maybe I drove like a tart.....although the new owner is doing track days in France with sticky tyres and I haven't seen any bad news on here yet....just my 2 pence worth.....much more economical to purchase though? I could never justify the price of a dry system over the original price of the engine......I reckon one of these with an accusump would be more than adequate......

http://www.extremeengines.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_EXT00008

[Edited on 4/10/14 by richard thomas]

[Edited on 4/10/14 by richard thomas]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.