Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELP! Garage door won't close
gingerprince

posted on 5/10/14 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
HELP! Garage door won't close

HELP! My garage door has suddenly decided not to close. I just jams shortly before being fully closed. I don't know exactly how the mechanism works (it's the type with a spring across the top) and can't figure out what's gone wrong. Can't see anything getting in the way, there's still wire left on the cone thingies but if I try and force it it looks like it's trying to pull the spring off the wall. Like this: -

Any idea what I can do to close it so my stuff doesn't go missing overnight????!!

Thanks

kj

posted on 5/10/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the wire on the coils at each end, they some times slip causing it not to shut.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

CosKev3

posted on 5/10/14 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like some of the wire has crossed over itself on the roller?

They are a pain once they go wrong, and be careful if you slacken off the allen screws that are holding the tension of the spring, as it could easily take your fingers off!

perksy

posted on 5/10/14 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
A mates did this and it was the wire had jumped on one of the rollers on one side of the door.

We propped the door open and disconnected the wire and re-lined it and re-made the connection.
Be aware that they have to be 'timed up' exactly the same or the door will crab and jam.

As said above watch your fingers

kj

posted on 5/10/14 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes you can open the door from inside and lower it aligning the cables on the drums, they are under a lot of tension.

If you are stuck ring idm in Selby, anth is a good bloke

[Edited on 5/10/14 by kj]

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

richard thomas

posted on 5/10/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Wire off the rollers, most likely.....use a screwdriver to roll it back on. and watch yer fingers....from one who knows.....:-)
samjc

posted on 5/10/14 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Wire more than likely as we all assume you have checked for foul object in the runner and door path. Mine did the same but one wire had gone in the opposite direction to the other and crossed over. As stated above be careful as the wire is under tension and a bugger to do on your own.
gremlin1234

posted on 5/10/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
foul object in the runner and door path.
small horse (sorry that a foal object) or wild bird...
whatever, wear gloves when re-tensioning the wires

Nickp

posted on 5/10/14 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mine does this occasionally if someone opens it wrong, by one corner. Remove the pivot bar (that comes down from the top of the frame) where it attaches to the door. Lift the door to take the tension off the wire and put it back on the right side of the cone, so it matches the other side. Job jobbed
gingerprince

posted on 5/10/14 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Well, fckadoodledoo I wasn't expecting that! Turns out that it was catching on one of the U thingies at the bottom of the runner. The reason? The doorway is too wide! Why? Because it seems that since this morning the WALL has moved out about 2 inches! Removed the U and the door is now at least shut but with a huge shut line.

Only thing I can think of - my trailers fold out lights sometime catch the wall so have to assume that when driving the car on it today it's pushed the damn wall panel away!

Description
Description

[Edited on 5/10/14 by gingerprince]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.