Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis undercoat recommendations?
richard thomas

posted on 15/8/15 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis undercoat recommendations?

Hallo all, been a while

Quick question, can anyone recommend a good underbody stonechip/sealer/similar that can be overpainted nicely with top coat? I was thinking of any old stonechip, but would prefer a smooth finish if possible? Not sure if POR 15 can be successfully over painted, but from memory it's absolutely brilliant?

It's for a new project that isn't particularly 'locostbuilders' as such, but I've been out of the scene for a couple of years and aware that things might have moved on since I had my finger in the game

Ta, Rich.

rusty nuts

posted on 15/8/15 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
POR15 can be over painted , certainly with Hardnose paint from Frost's. My chassis has been done for 6 years since stripping off the crap powder coating and is as good as the day I painted it
richard thomas

posted on 15/8/15 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mel, you're a star Does it finish nice and smooth brushed on, and would I need to etch prep bare metal before application? I know that it is recommended, but I am tight

I was thinking of finding out who did powder coating for Luego and getting that done there - just in case I get bored in a couple of months time with a pocket full of wire brush wheels going spare....but thought better of it

coozer

posted on 15/8/15 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine with hempathane. Its used on oil rigs boats and other extreme marine places..

Been on 2 years now and still looks brand new.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rusty nuts

posted on 15/8/15 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Thanks Mel, you're a star Does it finish nice and smooth brushed on, and would I need to etch prep bare metal before application? I know that it is recommended, but I am tight

I was thinking of finding out who did powder coating for Luego and getting that done there - just in case I get bored in a couple of months time with a pocket full of wire brush wheels going spare....but thought better of it

Dries to a pretty smooth finish even when brush painted . Didn't need to etch prime but was prepared as Frost's instructions , one of the items I used was Metal Ready? I gave my chassis 2 coats of POR15 the first was silver followed by brown (easy to see which parts had been done) then top coated with Hardnose which is available in several colours . All done in a lock up in cold weather using a propane heater so less than perfect conditions but still a good finish, infinetly better than Luego's powder coating

What are you building now? Mel

richard thomas

posted on 15/8/15 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas

Dries to a pretty smooth finish even when brush painted . Didn't need to etch prime but was prepared as Frost's instructions , one of the items I used was Metal Ready? I gave my chassis 2 coats of POR15 the first was silver followed by brown (easy to see which parts had been done) then top coated with Hardnose which is available in several colours . All done in a lock up in cold weather using a propane heater so less than perfect conditions but still a good finish, infinetly better than Luego's powder coating

What are you building now? Mel

Was hoping to be able to top coat in the same paint as the body......not sure what I am using yet.....

I'm restoring a VW beetle.......bit shabby compared to the builds on this site admittedly......mainly for the reason that I took redundancy earlier this year and am considering going into business doing a bit of car tinkering stuff....thought a nicely restored bug would be an advertisement for capabilities.......and my youngest son gets to learn basic mechanics as a plus.......

Hence I need a nice finish underneath that has nice paint, but can be used also.....

richard thomas

posted on 15/8/15 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I did mine with hempathane. Its used on oil rigs boats and other extreme marine places..

Nice one, does it dry smooth?

rusty nuts

posted on 16/8/15 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC Frost's also list a sealer? to cover POR15 before top coating with any other paint?
Andi

posted on 16/8/15 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I used por15 marine clean, metal ready and 2 coats of (what was called) chassis black on wishbones and rusty mirrors
using a brush.
It is a very smooth rock hard finish.
Andi

[img][/img]

SteveWallace

posted on 16/8/15 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
POR15 is supposed to be the best there is, but I have also heard that its a bit of a pain to get the surface prep right, particularly on good bare metal rather than on rust pitted surfaces. If you don't get the prep right, it can come off in sheets like a badly applied powder coat. Paint it onto a rust pitted surface and you will never ever get it off again though.

I've used it for quite a few small parts in my MG TC restoration, but I've decided to go for several coats of spray on Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black for the chassis itself as messing around with the metal prep on that scale didn't appeal based on my experience with the small parts.

CosKev3

posted on 16/8/15 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Rust Bullet is a very good paint, better than POR15 as it sticks to all surfaces.
Can be overpainted with anything, but you must overcoat within 24hours iirc of last coat of Rust Bullet, it can still be oover coated after this time but they say you must key the surface which is nearly impossible as the Rust Bullet dries so hard!

David Jenkins

posted on 16/8/15 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
POR15 is supposed to be the best there is, but I have also heard that its a bit of a pain to get the surface prep right, particularly on good bare metal rather than on rust pitted surfaces. If you don't get the prep right, it can come off in sheets like a badly applied powder coat. Paint it onto a rust pitted surface and you will never ever get it off again though.

I've used it for quite a few small parts in my MG TC restoration, but I've decided to go for several coats of spray on Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black for the chassis itself as messing around with the metal prep on that scale didn't appeal based on my experience with the small parts.

When Metal Ready is used properly it leaves a coarse surface that's perfect for POR-15. It's rough enough to use as a nail file, if that takes your fancy! So - apply liberally, leave for a while, hose down until it's all rinsed off, leave to air-dry. The only down-side is that it must be rinsed off thoroughly, preferably with a hose - just wiping it down with a wet rag is probably not enough.

Volvorsport

posted on 16/8/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Look on bilt hambers site , two pack polyurethane underseal coating .....

[Edited on 16/8/15 by Volvorsport]

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Angel Acevedo

posted on 16/8/15 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Hi Coozer.
How did you applied it?
i have some equivalent to this on my Man cave, and would like to use it but don´t want to spray.
I was thinking rollers and brushes for the hard to reach places.
Thanks in advance.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.