Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Worryingly high oil pressure on Pinto engine
bumpy

posted on 11/4/21 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Worryingly high oil pressure on Pinto engine

Before being put into storage at the end of last Summer my car ran with normal oil pressures, generally about 50 psi when running hot.

For some unknown reason it now wants to run at 90 psi most of the time. Its like someone turned on a switch to just about double the pressure!!

I put in a new oil pump, two new filters, changed the oil from 20/50 to 10/30, tried two other oil gauges including a calibrated capillary gauge and took the head off to ensure no blockages to all accessible oil galleries.

Looks like I now need the experts. Please help.

cliftyhanger

posted on 11/4/21 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Pressure relief valve stuck shut?
(I have zero Pinto experience, but all engines have a oil PRV to moderate pressure)

bumpy

posted on 11/4/21 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, but as far as I know the pressure relief valve is part of the pump assembly, which was replaced in its entirety. Difficult to believe that both the existing and replacement pumps have the same issue

Does anyone know at what pressure the release valve operates?

rusty nuts

posted on 11/4/21 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
It will be a stuck oil pressure relief valve , it's the only thing to control the oil pressure
bumpy

posted on 11/4/21 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
It will be a stuck oil pressure relief valve , it's the only thing to control the oil pressure

Thanks, but as far as I know the pressure relief valve is part of the pump assembly, which was replaced in its entirety. Difficult to believe that both the existing and replacement pumps have the same issue

Does anyone know at what pressure the release valve operates?

jacko

posted on 11/4/21 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Just a guess is the pipe over the cam ok
I know you say the valve is new but that’s does not mean to say it’s ok
Did you swop the pump like for like not a high capacity
Graham

[Edited on 11/4/21 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/4/21 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
First thing to do is confirm the oil pressure by fitting a test gauge. Most garages will have one. More often than not its the gauge is incorrect. If its an electronic gauge check the wiring and earthing.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bumpy

posted on 11/4/21 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
First thing to do is confirm the oil pressure by fitting a test gauge. Most garages will have one. More often than not its the gauge is incorrect. If its an electronic gauge check the wiring and earthing.

You must have missed that that has already been done (first post)

bumpy

posted on 11/4/21 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Just a guess is the pipe over the cam ok
I know you say the valve is new but that’s does not mean to say it’s ok
Did you swop the pump like for like not a high capacity
Graham

Pump swapped like for like, but high pressure exactly replicated what was present on old pump.

And yes that spray bar was fully clear

Thanks

[Edited on 11/4/21 by bumpy]

David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/21 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That was my thought - it could be a faulty oil pressure gauge or sender. Can you scrounge one from somewhere, just to try it out? Doesn't have to be anything grand, or calibrated, just a cheapo gauge to see whether it still shows an abnormally high pressure.

bumpy

posted on 11/4/21 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

That was my thought - it could be a faulty oil pressure gauge or sender. Can you scrounge one from somewhere, just to try it out? Doesn't have to be anything grand, or calibrated, just a cheapo gauge to see whether it still shows an abnormally high pressure.

Still would like to know what pressure the release valve should operate at.

jacko

posted on 11/4/21 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
A standard oil pump works at 60psi at 6000 rpm a high pressure oil pump is 90psi
So I have just read on classic Ford forum
As a matter of interest where did you buy the new pump as I have just read burtons sell high pressure pumps
Graham

David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/21 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumpy

You don't expect me to read the WHOLE post, do you?

Apologies...

bumpy

posted on 12/4/21 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
A standard oil pump works at 60psi at 6000 rpm a high pressure oil pump is 90psi
As a matter of interest where did you buy the new pump as I have just read burtons sell high pressure pumps
Graham

It was indeed a Burtons pump OP1

https://www.burtonpower.com/std-oil-pump-sohc-ford-pinto-e scort-cosworth-t25-op01.html

Still doesn't answer the question why a car that ran all last year at normal oil pressures should suddenly double its oil pressure when re-started this Spring, when absolutely nothing had been changed ?????

CosKev3

posted on 12/4/21 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumpy
quote:
Graham

It was indeed a Burtons pump OP1

https://www.burtonpower.com/std-oil-pump-sohc-ford-pinto-e scort-cosworth-t25-op01.html

Still doesn't answer the question why a car that ran all last year at normal oil pressures should suddenly double its oil pressure when re-started this Spring, when absolutely nothing had been changed ?????

Could well be a HP pump supplied by mistake?

And the old pump had a stuck relief valve?

CosKev3

posted on 12/4/21 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Have you stripped old pump and checked relief valve piston?
jacko

posted on 12/4/21 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the only thing you can do is sump off and check the relief valve there is nothing else that I can think of to cause your problem
Unless some one can think of something else
Graham

jacko

posted on 12/4/21 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote

I think you may have answered your own question it must be a stuck valve

Of cause I could be wrong

CosKev3

posted on 12/4/21 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think you may have answered your own question it must be a stuck valve

Of cause I could be wrong

It's the same with a brand new pump though?

bumpy

posted on 13/4/21 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Old PRV was taken apart, and no sign whatsoever of it sticking
jacko

posted on 13/4/21 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well if you think it isn’t the valve I don’t know what it could be faulted oil gauge maybe but you say you checked that
Graham

r1_pete

posted on 13/4/21 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Does the engine sound rattly as if its starving of oil? If so, something could be blocking the galleries close to the pump.
adithorp

posted on 13/4/21 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Wasn't there some issue with Burtons oil pumps? Seem to remember something about the galleries not lining up properly that o read something about a while ago. Probably on a ford forum..

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jacko

posted on 13/4/21 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Did you put gasket past in-between the pump and pick up or pump to block ? If so it could have part blocked a gallery

[Edited on 13/4/21 by jacko]

steve m

posted on 13/4/21 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
@Bumpy

Can you repost EXCACTLY what has been changed on or in the engine since the oil pressure was around 50psi until now its 90psi

I have had similar problems on a xflow, when the Prv wouldnt open but was more around 70psi at tickover

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.