Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reccommend a steering wheel boss for Ford collum
John G

posted on 16/6/21 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Reccommend a steering wheel boss for Ford collum

My Phoenix has a Ford steering collum with a standard plastic cowl. I am to fit a QR steering wheel to replace the standard ford one. What are my options for boss adapters etc? Antone have ideas on changing from the stalk to seperate switches for indicators, dip, main etc?
Any pictures would be welcome.
Regards Jon

big_wasa

posted on 16/6/21 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up my new project and after a comment of “ best to isolate the battery when your not using it to stop it going flat “ I took a peek.

So before I’ve even driven it I’ve ripped the lot out.

I took the hacksaw to the steering lock and spun the column up in the lathe. I found a collapsible boss and chopped the teeth of.

Ive the turned up a sleeve to make it look a little more seamless. It’s still all wants painting.

I’ve made up a temporary dash so I can play with position of the switches ect. It will get replaced latter in the year with some carbon

I haven't got as far as a Qr boss yet, which is what you asked in the first place. But the plan is to get a descent one. Weld it into some seamless CDS and mount it in a couple of self aligning bearings.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/6/21 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
If the car is still to go through the SVA or just generally staying alive, make sure you go for one that is collapsible in a crash. Momo & Simoni both make these. Their usually easy to tell as they have a flexible rubber bellow rather than some cast affair.

Also if you keep the steering lock, make sure you still run the ignition through it rather than just a dashboard start button. As if you bypass the ignition switch but keep the steering lock, it's all to easy (from personal experience) to drive off with the steering lock still on which is a bit scary.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John G

posted on 16/6/21 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, it is already registered and does not have a steering lock. It has start button as it has a Kawasaki engine.
adithorp

posted on 16/6/21 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Removable bosses have a few common failings. Most require a "slug" welding to the shaft. Play between them and the shaft is common ( and really annoying IMO). Difficulty aligning the wheel when fitting and security once on are bigger issues. One member on here (name escapes me) had his come off at speed on the motorway and couldn't get it back on before totaling the car.

Of all the removable steering wheel boss' I've seen, this is the only one I'd be happy with...
http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Rapfix-Racing-212.html#SID=58
It has zero play in it, is easy to fit and self aligns/locks and if you send them the shaft they'll weld the slug on for not a lot.
Not cheap though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

John G

posted on 16/6/21 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice, worth knowing regarding safety. So if I stick with a fixed wheel what are the options for tidying up the cnsole to have it more "sparse" and having an adaptor from the ford colum to a more sporty wheel?
big_wasa

posted on 16/6/21 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just type into eBay Sierra steering wheel boss. Decide on the wheel you like and get a boss to match. Ie classic Mountney or Momo are the two main size pcd’s.
They will work with and without the ford switchgear.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 16/6/21 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of a highjack but it's related.

Anyone have details on bosses that bolt on instead of weld?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.