Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine number visibity
pfedwards

posted on 14/9/21 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Engine number visibity

Hi,
I'm building a Royale Sabre with a BMW M52 engine. Now with the front wings fitted and all the gubbins around the throttle body it is now impossible to see directly the engine number. I can just about see it from beneath the car with the aid of a mirror but even that is quite difficult and of course the numbers are back to front in the mirror.
I'm wondering what will happen at the IVA and if the inspector will be willing to put it on the ramp to see the engine number as I believe that is one of the first things they check. I have a good photo of the engine number before everything was fitted and proof of the engine's age from BMW Customer Service.
Has anyone else had this kind of experience at an IVA test?

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/9/21 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Would it not be going on a lift away during the test unless the tester is really really skinny?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 14/9/21 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've had similar problem with the Toyota 4AGE engine where the engine no. is largely hidden by the starter, I'm sure they'll be happy enough to start the test with your photo evidence & they can then confirm once up on the ramp.

If you reach up with a phone & take a pic the numbers wouldn't be reversed if that is feasible?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 14/9/21 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
As above,

1. Take a photo with your phone to show the tester.
2. Get the tester to have a look with a mirror when the cars on a ramp/lift

Deckman001

posted on 14/9/21 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, on my IVA test my x/flow engine number is under an exhaust plate so I printed out a pic of the number with the exhaust removed, they could tell it was the same block to so knew it was the same number.
Paul_Arion

posted on 15/9/21 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I’d have thought it wouldn’t be an issue at IVA. Feel you’re more likely to have an issue with the DVLA at registration time - do they still physically check the number there? Not registered a car myself for a few years
russbost

posted on 15/9/21 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Arion
I’d have thought it wouldn’t be an issue at IVA. Feel you’re more likely to have an issue with the DVLA at registration time - do they still physically check the number there? Not registered a car myself for a few years

DVLA never normally carry out any checks anymore, they don't have regional centres since the car license offices were all closed - only way you'd get an inspection would be if they had reason to think an engine was stolen or something like that

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
pfedwards

posted on 15/9/21 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, some really good ideas and it's re-assuring to hear that others have had a similar problem and overcome it with photo's.
I'll see if there is room to snap a shot with my phone and I've ordered one of those cheapo endoscopes off ebay, to see if that will work.
Looking back through my build photo's I've found a few shots that show the whole engine and engine number so I should be OK.
Thanks everyone for you help.

myke pocock

posted on 15/9/21 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Wy not give the tester a phone call just to verify things. I did that with my Locost allbeit with SVA so a while ago now.
Schrodinger

posted on 15/9/21 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC I had to get a garage to certify the engine number in my Stylus for registration in 2017.

Keith
Aviemore

pfedwards

posted on 20/9/23 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just to finish this off, this is what happened at my IVA..........

The first test is emissions so after a few checks like the VIN, looking in the engine bay, etc the tester asked to see the engine number.
I explained that you can only see it with a mirror when the car is up on the ramp. I showed him a photo of the engine number and pointed to where it is located. He took my word for it and took the engine number from my photo.
I'm not sure, but I think he then forgot to check later. I say I'm not sure because when he is underneath checking things you are sitting in the car up on the ramp so you can't see what he is doing.

All's well that ends well !

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/9/23 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Well done.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.