Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ideas for our 13 year old R C ca rbut self build
John G

posted on 4/12/21 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ideas for our 13 year old R C ca rbut self build

Our son will be 13 this month and is looking at R C cars mostly from China already built, I would like to go down the learning route with him. Does anyone have some pointers for self build, kit etc that we could work together on. Plans with links to suppliers of parts etc. Part built projects and advice welcome.
Regards Jon

tegwin

posted on 4/12/21 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
You used to be able to get the hpi savage as a kitÖ not sure if you can get the new one in the same wayÖ. I know they are built so you can swap parts over and upgrade etc.

Depends on budget but could get one of those and take it apart before you give it to him.

I learned a lot as a teenager playing with different dampers etc and even building a 6wd unit by chopping up several difffs to make one with two pinion wheels.

The old school option was always the tamiya thing that came as a lot but Iíve not seen those in years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

big_wasa

posted on 4/12/21 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at modelsport if you donít have a local model shop. Best service Iíve had from anywhere.
Iíve just got back into Rcís and itís getting very addictive .

Donít discount the Rtr models as the possibilities for pulling them to bits and putting them back together, servicing and upgrading is endless. I am enjoying pulling these to bits at a warm bench way more than a Locost in a cold garage at the moment.

Tamiya is still one of the biggest suplier of kits. A basic kit with All the extras is still around £200. And it will do a pretty pathetic 15bhp on an old style Nicad.

My Recommendation is the Wltoys 24019. Itís an old model now but a lot of model for the money with cheap as chips spares and unlimited tuning possibilities. There is a whole speed run seen based on just these.
Prices are around £100 and you get everything bar 4aa's. It will do around 30mph and is a lot of fun.

Mine now does over 70 and there are those that will do a real 100+mph. Check them out on YouTube

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.