Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Challenging Project
Prof_Cook

posted on 1/5/22 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
End April 2022

Project as at end April 2022 - too cold to work in the garage today.

End of April 2022
End of April 2022

Prof_Cook

posted on 4/7/22 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Back into the garage

Challenging retirement project has been delayed a little due to contracting COVID-19. Luckily (!) only extreme tiredness. Have managed to get back into the garage and back to cutting and shaping steel tube.

Got the engine mounts cut out of the old front sub-frame and offered up to a cross-tube ready for future welding. Took a week to get the cross tube into the right location to ensure the engine is in correct location.

Now I have a growing pile of off-cuts it has been time to get the arc-welder, gauntlets, overalls, steel toe capped boots and welding helmet out and start practising welding. Another delay as the battery in my helmet had died so had to wait till a certain on-line supplier got a pack of 5 batteries out to me.

Today was first time trying to weld for over 40 years. Managed to strike arcs and place a few tack welds onto the test piece seen in the bottom of the below photo, set current low to start off with. Top of the test piece was 45 amps with pre-heating from a Bosch hot air gun and this cant be broken even with heavy hammering. Bottom of test piece was 55 amps without pre-heating, broke when cleaning off the crusty bits. Got a lot more self-training on welding to do before I start welding the frame.

Starting to practice welding
Starting to practice welding

[Edited on 4/7/22 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 10/8/22 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Lower frame rails almost ready

Progress is still being made but slower than I would hope, but still posting updates monthly!

Good news : No more money spent.

Bad news : "Tack" welding of lower frame rails still only almost complete due to need to reweld quite a few of the welds as not good enough, also hand cutting and filing ends of tubes with fish-mouths and fitting the tubes together takes longer than planned. So still got to complete lower rails asap so I can lift them off the build table and start welding upper frame rails, and then tack together with uprights. Then to seam weld and start welding major brackets (radiator) etc onto frame.

[Edited on 10/8/22 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 10/8/22 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Stuff found at side of road while walking dogs.

Top left for parts bin. Top right for toolbox. Bottom stuff for local recycling bin.

Stuff
Stuff

indykid

posted on 10/8/22 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder who lost the morse taper drill sleeve?

It's an unusual thing to find at the side of the road...it'd make a mess of your windscreen if it bounced!

Prof_Cook

posted on 6/9/22 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Lower frame rails tack welded together

Retirement project continues to progress:

Good News
1. No money spent.
2. My welds continue to improve.
3. Lower frame rails tack welded together and didn't fall apart when removed from the jig.
4. Lower frame rails weigh only 14.3Kg
5. Started to cut and file the tubes for the much simpler top rails and then it be the uprights

Bad News
1. Progress still not as fast as originally planned but at least progress is being made.

Prof_Cook

posted on 6/9/22 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Weight

Target car weighed 560Kg and with an engine power of 172BHP the driver enjoyed performance of some 307BHP/Tonne.

My donor car engine BHP was 105BHP so using that figure I need my car to weigh some 350Kg:

Engine BHP 105
Weight (Kg) 350
BHP/Tonne 300

So Target is 350 Kg

The following is my current weight allocation for each component:

Frame 50 (simpler than original design)
Engine 123 (no a/c or power steering)
Gearbox 36
Differential 26
ECU and Loom 5
Radiator 10
Steering Rack 10
Steering Wheel 10
Seats 15
Fuel Tank 10 (would limit range to ~60miles so would prefer 20Kg)
Hubs, wheels 55
350Kg

This is my first pass and I am sure I have forgotten something which will mean weight reduction will be needed, or the BHP/Tonne will drop. Loom still to be rewired, radiator, Hubs/wheels still to be weighed, above figures are guess at this time....

[Edited on 6/9/22 by Prof_Cook]

pigeondave

posted on 6/9/22 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
How much do the lights weigh?

If you're looking to build to a weight, start counting the grams from the start.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Prof_Cook

posted on 6/9/22 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Lights

Many thanks pigeondave

I overlooked lights which now need to be added to weight budget. Have ditched donor lights. Am keeping eye on certified lights on certain on-line store to get smallest/lightest possible.

[Edited on 6/9/22 by Prof_Cook]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/9/22 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Nice project! On the power to weight ratio side, the MX5 lump is quite tuneable which should help if you go over your weight budget. Or turbo it and get well over the 170hp you mentioned

I'm also in Brizzle BTW, so yell if you ever need a hand. Can't guarantee I'll be able to, but the offer's there!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

scudderfish

posted on 7/9/22 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pigeondave
How much do the lights weigh?

If you're looking to build to a weight, start counting the grams from the start.

Also have a poo and drive naked.

Prof_Cook

posted on 2/10/22 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Workbench

End of September Update

Good News

1. No more money spent, but need to get some more 25mm 2mm wall tubing so watch this space..
2. Folding work bench was showing signs of strain so now I have built a workbench which now sits between front of build table and chest freezer at back of garage. Workbench has been built of "skip" wood (4in by 2in lumber) and some 25mm square 3 mm think walled tubing.

Workbench
Workbench

3. Neighbour having garage clearout before building an extension so I was lucky to pick up some tools which were out on their drive for anyone to take away, including the red handled compound action cutters you can see in the workbench photo. While picking these up the neighbour came out with another cardboard box full of stuff and got a metal tin with about 60 different sized metal drill bits.
4. Compound action cutters made it an easy job to cut the steel rings which fixed the seat covers to the seat pan and back. Only took 5 minutes (wore safety glasses, gloves and covered the rings with cloth while cutting) and now modifying seat pan to reduce depth of seat pan which should enable seat to be fitted lower in the car while still clearing the prop shaft and associated restraint cage.

Bad News

1. Getting distracted from frame build to construct the workbench but had to do it as folding workbench was on its last legs.

Hi Indykid, Yes the morse sleeve was a strange thing to find in the road (on white hatchings between 2 pedestrian refuges, but just goes to show the danger of driving onto the hatchings as you risk hitting something like this.

Hi Badger_McLetcher, many thanks for your interest. Turbo will not be an option due to cost. But as you say, the MX5 lump is quite tunable, I recall reading something somewhere about skimming the head can give some 10BHP but probably not an option due to cost.

Hi Scudderfish, I wont be going to the extremes you mention, but have lost some weight (14Kg) since first thinking about building this car and am applying weight reduction to all car components. Now where can I get a lightweight and cheap steering rack....

[Edited on 2/10/22 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 2/10/22 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Car and Equipment Budget

Balsa cement GBP £3.49
Balsa wood for model GBP £6.90
Build table screws and long drill bits GBP £9.25
Steel GBP £165.16
Welding electrodes GBP £7.00
Total to Date GBP £191.80

Reduction since last report as 3.5mm wall think tubing was too heavy for car and used to build workbench.

Equipment

Build own sportscar and race it GBP £17.93
Power drill GBP £24.79
Drill Bits GBP £10.00
Welding gloves GBP £6.05
Hacksaw blades GBP £9.80
Safety goggles GBP £11.07
Files GBP £10.99
6in square GBP £10.75
Build Avon Sportscar book GBP £17.19
Auto darkening welding helmet GBP £22.99
Welding magnets GBP £20.60
Cordless drill GBP £26.58
Metal cutting discs GBP £6.00
Angle grinder GBP £33.95
Steel tubing for workbench GBP £54.80
Safety impact goggles GBP £3.00
Arc welder GBP £56.75
Total GBP £343.24

Prof_Cook

posted on 17/10/22 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Drilling

Good News:

Seat dismantled, removed head rest speakers, wiring and associated mounts. Seat rake adjustment hinge spring and associated metalwork removed. Drilling took place over weekend of the hinge to remove excess metal and hence lighten the seat. Now completing re-profile of seat pan and drilling same to reduce weight:

Lightening the seat
Lightening the seat

Bad News:
Waiting for 6m of 25mm tube to complete top rail layout of frame.
Spent £5 on branded batteries for welding helmet as generic batteries only seem to last a few days.

[Edited on 17/10/22 by Prof_Cook]

Neville Jones

posted on 20/10/22 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, An ambitious project that should look great when complete.
I notice you are using an arc welder. I had the same intention 35 years ago and soldiered on.
Then a mate loaned me a mig to try out.
Why had I not discovered this machine earlier!!!
Used the mig ever since.Better welds and much easier. That mig has now built many chassis.
Maybe you could find a cheap mig on ebay, and then find your nearest Adams Gas agent. ( make sure you use a proper slug/ball flow meter, it will save you a fortune over the round dial gauges.)

I just got a back payment on the pension, bought an R-Tec ac-dc 200amp Tig, so now to learn and do ali and SS welding.

Prof_Cook

posted on 21/10/22 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
In case of fire

Cheers Neville, many thanks for the comments. Yes a MIG would be good but given I am retired, my only unlimited resource is time, funds (as for all of us) given the cost of living crisis are limited and I am trying to build the car for minimum funds.

For example, I was reading another car builders web page and found out his car was burnt out in last stages of build so I had started to "budget" for a fire extinguisher for the garage. But luckily a house across the village had the below extinguisher sitting outside on the pavement along with some other items and when I asked the homeowner about it he said "if you can use it then please take it as otherwise it would go to the skip".

Extinguisher
Extinguisher

Has cleaned up nicely, appears to be at charge weight and the lead seal on the pin is still wired in place.

Prof_Cook

posted on 26/10/22 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
11.3Kg Seat

Stock seat was dismantled. Seat pan contoured section removed and replaced with some marine plywood left over from another project. Seat back adjustment hinge spring removed, hinge drilled for lightness. Seat Pan drilled for lightness. Seat pad foam cut with hacksaw blade to reflect loss of seat pan contour. and accommodate the thickness of the plywood sheet. Seat cover refixed to seat pan and back using plastic zip ties recovered from roadside.

Seat now sits level on my workbench and the seat will sit a little lower (~20mm) in the final car and I will sit a little lower in the seat than before, and even better there was no cost involved in this work:

SEAT
SEAT

Modified seat weighs 11.3Kg including its 4 mounting bolts.

Seat covering will need to be replaced, but that (recovering) will be done after car is constructed and on the road.

[Edited on 26/10/22 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 13/11/22 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Steel delivered

So back in the garage finishing top rail lay up and then back to welding...

Car component expenditure is now = £285.80
Equipment expenditure = £348.24

Prof_Cook

posted on 15/11/22 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Test fitting radiator

Back in garage for 1 hour today, just finishing top rail lay up for welding. Top rails being jigged upside down on bottom rail layout. Offered radiator (upside down) onto top rails and there is clearance between radiator cap and top rails, and between hose connection points and cross rails. Radiator will be offset in car and gap on right (left when rails are right way up) will be route for air intake plumbing. Photo shows view from front cross member of top rails which is 4ins higher than longitudinal rails and thus become 4ins lower when turned right way up.

Test fitting radiator
Test fitting radiator

[Edited on 15/11/22 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 28/11/22 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Floating the Top Rails

Progress continues.......

Good News:
1. Welds continue to improve.
2. Top rails tack welded together.
3. Top rails "floated" over bottom rails using "skip" pallet wood lengths.
4. No more money spent.

Floating Rails
Floating Rails

Bad News:
1. Nothing project related, just the problem with the site over the weekend.

Next Steps.
1. As cant afford new radiator I am reusing the MX-5 radiator so now to test fit radiator and reduce length of the wooden "legs" holding up the top rails until the radiator cant be fitted (cardboard tubing will be used to represent the forward suspension mounts uprights, then add 5mm onto the "legs" and cut the tube uprights to that length and tack weld them into place.
2. Once uprights tack welded into place then start planning the layout of the triangulation pieces.
3. Other activity over winter will be for cold days to slim down the wiring loom...

[Edited on 29/11/22 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 2/1/23 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
End of 2022

Carpentry again in December, setting up the jigs to hold the top rails exactly above the bottom rails and holding them in place ready for tack welding the uprights. Sub-zero temperatures delayed work.

End of 2022
End of 2022

Steel for final uprights purchased and delivered this week. Steel tubes are being cut to length required and then fish-mouthed using a hand file. "Pan-pipes" at left of picture are some completed. There will be 16 uprights between the top and bottom rails. Total cost of components for the car is now £357.80

Kind person donated two lockable jaguar petrol caps (at bottom of picture), but will only need one.

Candidate nose cone sourced for free - very close to dimensions required, may be possible to adjust using hot air gun but that will be a future experiment.

[Edited on 2/1/23 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 4/1/23 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Finds Table

Top left stuff for components bin. Top right for Toolboxes. Rest of stuff for the local recycling bins.

Finds Table
Finds Table

All found on road within 1.5 miles of my house.

Prof_Cook

posted on 20/1/23 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Setting Up "New" MIG welder

Update and seeking information:

Good News:
More 1in 2mm thick wall tube received.
MIG Welder (flux cored) obtained and now put the "arc" welder to one side and started to practice welding with this "new" welder. Trying different wire speeds and amp settings on pieces of off-cut, did a few good welds but on most attempts lots of spatter to so patience and persistence needed to get used to this type of machine (could be earth clamp so stripping twin and earth mains cable to make large copper "pads" to help with earthing) also will try a different roll of flux cored "wire", so will be a while till I get back to welding frame components. I would be interested to hear of others experience with such welders or a pointer to any other forum/posts/sites detailing their use?

Flux cored MIG welder
Flux cored MIG welder

Bad News:
Total spend on components for the car is now £398.80

[Edited on 20/1/23 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 11/2/23 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
£14

Spent £14 on a new roll of branded quality flux cored mig wire - result - now welding with the "new" welder.

[Edited on 11/2/23 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 16/2/23 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Free components

Being thinking for a while as to how to make bended pieces of steel to enable rounded bodywork to be "built" over the squarish frame...

Driving home recently noticed a semicicular piece of plastic lodged at the bottom of an embankment. Popped back when walking the dogs one afternoon and turned out to be sizeable piece of roadkill debris in the left hand side photo below.

Free components
Free components

Once cleaned up and dismantled, ended up with 2 nice gently bent pieces of some 3mm thick steel (should be able to derust with angle grinder etc), and two drilled plates which will be cut up for frame mounting brackets for various engine bay components.

[Edited on 16/2/23 by Prof_Cook]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.