Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Challenging Project
Prof_Cook

posted on 1/5/22 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
End April 2022

Project as at end April 2022 - too cold to work in the garage today.

End of April 2022
End of April 2022

Prof_Cook

posted on 4/7/22 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Back into the garage

Challenging retirement project has been delayed a little due to contracting COVID-19. Luckily (!) only extreme tiredness. Have managed to get back into the garage and back to cutting and shaping steel tube.

Got the engine mounts cut out of the old front sub-frame and offered up to a cross-tube ready for future welding. Took a week to get the cross tube into the right location to ensure the engine is in correct location.

Now I have a growing pile of off-cuts it has been time to get the arc-welder, gauntlets, overalls, steel toe capped boots and welding helmet out and start practising welding. Another delay as the battery in my helmet had died so had to wait till a certain on-line supplier got a pack of 5 batteries out to me.

Today was first time trying to weld for over 40 years. Managed to strike arcs and place a few tack welds onto the test piece seen in the bottom of the below photo, set current low to start off with. Top of the test piece was 45 amps with pre-heating from a Bosch hot air gun and this cant be broken even with heavy hammering. Bottom of test piece was 55 amps without pre-heating, broke when cleaning off the crusty bits. Got a lot more self-training on welding to do before I start welding the frame.

Starting to practice welding
Starting to practice welding

[Edited on 4/7/22 by Prof_Cook]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.